Unwillingly handing over certain info

shootingstar

It's possible that they use your birth date as a tie breaker to determine which shooting star you are but I don't know what other information they asked for that would point to the specific you they are to check out.  It also gives them a starting date to begin looking for your various "crimes".

More likely, somebody simply unthinkingly added another data box to a form.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Not happy that I have to hand over info. on ....my date of birth. This is required for criminal check via police, for some jobs I've been selected for interview. Only certain employers and these employers are major govn't.  It ticks me off.  :mellow:   

I have no problem with the criminal check itself.

You are a visible minority and female.  That checks two boxes for the government right there.  Can you walk with a limp to the interview and make reference to "your lawyer"? :) They won't dare say no.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

You are applying for a job with a background check requirement.  How can they do that without knowing your date of birth?

Background check story....

We do basic background checks through a system the Michigan State Police have.  One time we didn't do one.  We hires a saled guy that was vouched for by a person I have the upmost respect for.  This person is also from our industry.  Turned out this applicant was also connected during his youth to 2 personal friends of mine that had great things to say. 

A couple years go by and he hits a dry spell that he can't or won't work himself out of and I have to let him go.  He was a bit different as an employee but not a bad guy.  After he left someone I know suggested that I check the county court records for an adjoining county.  Turns out that a few years earlier he had a bench warrant for failure to appear.  It was for lack of child support payment for an unwed mother (nothing wrong with having a kid but not supporting him/her).  This guy's dad made an appearance in front of the judge to explain that he could not make the judge's appointment because he was then serving time in a federal prison for some other shady deal.

From now on everyone gets background checked.

I don't know about HR laws in Kanada but here a conditional offer of employment has to be made before an applicant can submit to backgrounds or drug screens.  

Often times older applicants are weeded out in the resume review or interview process. If you made it that far i wouldn't be too worried about age issues and often times employers don't look at the details of the report closely as they are many pages long, just the summary page that indicates any issues.

31 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We have nuclear material in our lab.  All technical staff with access to it (most of us) have an FBI background check.  Currently it does not look at our financial history, but that is likely coming soon.  This is repeated every 10 years.  It's voluntary, but if you refuse, we will let you go.

But you are still there?  

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Do they know she is married to you? :whistle:

She used to worry about that. Not so much now that she is approaching retirement. They really check your finances, they don’t want to take a chance on someone who might get tempted to sell some classified information. She is not allowed to look at her own investigation so we don’t know what they think of me. I know they go talk to our Amish neighbors.

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

She used to worry about that. Not so much now that she is approaching retirement. They really check your finances, they don’t want to take a chance on someone who might get tempted to sell some classified information. She is not allowed to look at her own investigation so we don’t know what they think of me. I know they go talk to our Amish neighbors.

Sheesh!  That was 'sposed to be a joke!

• Heart 1

I had the kind of security clearance that involves agents periodically interviewing your neighbors about you along with visits every 6 months to a Navy shrink for evaluation.  It's been renewed a couple of times since then (without the shrink in civilian land) whenever it was necessary and when a company felt like paying for it.  They are not free at that level because of the extra work.

There is very little they don't know about me.  Warm and cold sizes.  Yep.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We have nuclear material in our lab.  All technical staff with access to it (most of us) have an FBI background check.  Currently it does not look at our financial history, but that is likely coming soon.  This is repeated every 10 years.  It's voluntary, but if you refuse, we will let you go.

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I've only had 2 checks so far.  I'm due for another before May.

...this seems pretty unobtrusive.  I mean, you work in a place where people are getting fingers up the bum to check their prostate every day.

They all say that's "voluntary" too, but if you refuse they put a note on your permanent record.  Don't ask me how I know this.

I've had ..several criminal checks because I worked for different govn't organizations. I agree age /birth date is required as starting point for the criminal record check. In Canada one goes to the police for this.

I'm deciding whether to give my required ID just immediately after interview, when they normally ask during the interview.  Today's work market is competitive and ..age discrimination is more real than we realize.

In my workplace I've heard disparaging remarks about certain older employees from younger employees who think they are hot.

18 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Is this what happened to Cheese and RR? :(  Didn't pass the background chex?

I heard they got caught up in the Chex Systems database. You can never get out of that one

My old neighbor was Homeland Security. Every couple years we would get grilled about him. He & I didn't get along real well. I bet he was uncomfortable about our interviews. I was nice & pleasant. But he was an odd bird

little story: We were trimming up our overgrown ivy & roses in our back area. We had a fence that was set back from the property line because it was a boulder retaining wall. We trimmed a small shrub just beyond the fence that we trimmed hard. He came unglued about taking out "his" property. I reminded him about the property line. He didn't believe me & had it surveyed. I was right

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Not enough @Scrapr lately.  I know you have a lot on your plate but do not let your attendance here slip.  @bikeman564™ is a new mod I recently purchased and I don't want to put him to work on you! :)  

Good to see you Scrapr.  I hope all is well. 

Thank you. I will try to improve my attendance record

as my teachers used to say. Good boy but needs to apply himself

• Heart 1