Do you respect NO TRESPASSING signs?

Dirtyhip

There is a ranch that I trespass through.  When I ride through I ride as fast as I can.  When I see the ranchers and workers, I wave, but I never stop.  No reason to start a conversation, so they can remind me that I don't belong there.  There are always cool and wave back at me.  :flirtyeyess:  I look like I am on a mission.  ZOOM!

• Heart 1

I once moved to a house on the edge of the woods. I decided to try hunting behind my house since it's easier than driving somewhere. I hunted all morning and as I approached a road on the other side of the woods I noticed there were signs on most of the trees. I walked over to them and saw they were no trespassing signs, oops! There were no signs on my side of the woods. :dontknow: I returned to my house the way I came because I didn't know the road I came out on.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Not if they’re buried on the spot; then what happens in the woods, stays in the woods.

This.  There is a reason those rednecks drive pick-em-ups that will fit a body in the back and ground clearance to get to the back of the woods.

5 minutes ago, Lettuce Prey said:

Yeah, I typically respect them.  I tend to think that people who post them are serious about it...and maybe looking for a reason to shoot someone.

As DH says, shooting someone for trespassing will land the landowner in jail.  On the other hand you don't want to be the reason he's there.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Paging @KrAzY to the No Trespassing phone.

That KrAzY dude will shoot you dead if you crossed one of his NT signs.  The man had cameras too.  

I give warning first before I let an arrow rip at them. in the dark you never know where an arrow is :)

honestly... trespassing will get ya shot only if I find you within my home or the fenced in back yard. If you want to loiter in the front yard where the neighborhood can see you fine, as long as you are not endangering me or my family... once I feel threatened... all bets are off if you make it past the sidewalk. 

Yes, I respect the property and rights of others, and I expect them to respect mine.  In Texas, we have laws that allow us to use deadly force to protect our property.  

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

And if you see purple paint on trees or fence posts, that is the same as "Posted No Trespassing" signs.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/trespass.phtml

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yes, I respect the property and rights of others, and I expect them to respect mine.  In Texas, we have laws that allow us to use deadly force to protect our property.  

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

And if you see purple paint on trees or fence posts, that is the same as "Posted No Trespassing" signs.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/trespass.phtml

I am proud and happy to live in a blue state. 

Some of these zones have no sign or gate at one end of the entry or exit.  Some of the roads are an easement to other properties and forest lands.  You can enter one way and hit a gate on the other side.  People are quite chill about cyclists using the gravel roads. 

There was a recent incident, where a farmer lied and said that he doesn't allow access to us going across some levy systems.  We talked to the actual landowner and the person telling us to get out, only had a lease for this one farm field, but we had always been granted access to the levy via the land owner.  When he stops us next time, we're gonna tell him to call the sheriff, and we will wait, in addition to name dropping the actual land owner that allows cyclists to travel on his levy.   The land owner leases plots of land in this vast farm area with multiple waterways.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Some of these zones have no sign or gate at one end of the entry or exit.  Some of the roads are an easement to other properties and forest lands.  You can enter one way and hit a gate on the other side.  People are quite chill about cyclists using the gravel roads. 

There was a recent incident, where a farmer lied and said that he doesn't allow access to us going across some levy systems.  We talked to the actual landowner and the person telling us to get out, only had a lease for this one farm field, but we had always been granted access to the levy via the land owner.  When he stops us next time, we're gonna tell him to call the sheriff, and we will wait, in addition to name dropping the actual land owner that allows cyclists to travel on his levy.   The land owner leases plots of land in this vast farm area with multiple waterways.

Your state has paint laws as well.  Blaze orange instead of purple.  

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/105.700

27 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I look forward to hearing how this one goes down: good for you DH :)

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Why do think Jimmy Hoffa disappeared?

;)

When I go looking for waterfalls, I always respect the 'no trespassing' or 'posted' signs.  I would want the same respect if I owned a property with a waterfall on it.  If a property is not signed or posted, I will enter the property to look for the falls.

If a property is posted I will, however, go up to a nearby house, ask if they own the property, and ask for permission to walk over to the waterfall and take pictures.  I'm usually on my bike, so I toss in that I've "ridden 20/30/whatever miles to get here", and that seems to help too.  Sometimes the property owner gives permission, sometimes not.  When they refuse, and I thank them anyway for their time.  About half of them seem surprised that I'm accepting of that and leave quietly.  If a property owner does allow me to take pictures of a waterfall on posted property, I note the address.  After I get back I take the best picture or pictures, print them, put them in a small frame(s), and mail them to the property owner with a note of thanks.

My brother has always been a avid fisherman.  He used the same tactic.  He would find the land owner and ask permission to fish on their property.  He met lots of people and caught a lot of fish.  I know other guys that will ask permission to hunt varmints on people's land.  Some even get paid to do so.

I live in the city... Not much by way of trespassing signage. There is a nature preserve that about 70% of the trails are open year round but the other 30% is open just a couple of weekends a year. 

Bypass the gates and you are subject to hefty fines but probably won't get shot.  I've seen city police on mtn bikes patrolling the park often. Not bad duty to get paid to schralp.

34 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Why do think Jimmy Hoffa disappeared?

;)

When I go looking for waterfalls, I always respect the 'no trespassing' or 'posted' signs.  I would want the same respect if I owned a property with a waterfall on it.  If a property is not signed or posted, I will enter the property to look for the falls.

If a property is posted I will, however, go up to a nearby house, ask if they own the property, and ask for permission to walk over to the waterfall and take pictures.  I'm usually on my bike, so I toss in that I've "ridden 20/30/whatever miles to get here", and that seems to help too.  Sometimes the property owner gives permission, sometimes not.  When they refuse, and I thank them anyway for their time.  About half of them seem surprised that I'm accepting of that and leave quietly.  If a property owner does allow me to take pictures of a waterfall on posted property, I note the address.  After I get back I take the best picture or pictures, print them, put them in a small frame(s), and mail them to the property owner with a note of thanks.

Like I mentioned above, sometimes, you end up trespassing without even realizing it.  You ride a road with no gates to do an enormous loop.  You get to a point, where the gate is only on one end.  It isn't like I am going to ride back through the 40 something miles to go back to where we came from.  That method would be problematic.  

Generally, I don't do much trespassing, but it happens sometimes.  You get on an open gravel road and end up in private property at the other end.   As it turns out, much of the entire section was private.  Oh well.

I was fishing in some freaking awesome river in Montana and had a land owner ask me to head back the way we came as we were on his land.  We waded up river a ways and since there are no fences in the water didn't realize it but shoulda figured as there was barbed wire along the river....

When I was a trail bike riding kid there were several land owners that posted their land for liability reasons. If you got hurt you were trespassing, and back then it was assumed that you couldn't sue for getting hurt where you weren't allowed to be. But they didn't care that we rode on their land.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You get on an open gravel road and end up in private property at the other end.   As it turns out, much of the entire section was private.

But this I see as an honest error, and not intentional trespassing, at least the first time.

If I were to ride it a second time, knowing it was private property, and knowing I had to cut across private land, then I would consider myself trespassing.

I also take issue with blogs and websites that promote 'stealth' camping.  Camping on someone's property, posted are not, is a 'taking' - making use and getting benefit from someone else without their permission and without compensating them.  Maybe the owner wouldn't care anyway, but one doesn't know that until one asks.

• Heart 2

Many farms around here are posted because they do not want hunters hunting on their property.  If you'd had some asshat shoot one of your milk deer by mistake you'd understand that they mean it.  It is unlikely in CT that they would shoot you dead however as it's against the law.  They will call the police, take pics of you and your vehicle if possible however. Many of the fire roads and even part of the public trail that I ride are posted both sides.  Stay on the trail.

It's polite if nothing else.

• Heart 1

• 4 years later...

Yes, if it's private property.  If it's public property I'll consider the circumstance.

My nephew Adam, a few years back, dog Jake and I crossed the Swinging Bridge in Patapsco State Park, west of Baltimore, then reached a point where some of the path had been washed out by flooding. It wasn't "no trespassing" but we were warned.  We went ahead anyway because the height of the river seemed low enough.

We had to walk over single 12" x 12" boards 25' long to cross certain points but it felt safe: I always grabbed Jake by his harness in case he slipped over the swinging bridge (below) or the boards.

20190524_124349clar_crop_900p.thumb.jpg.1f766c8ff23ff81bb09ffb384137f31d.jpg 

302535830_20190524_120132cropped900p.thumb.jpg.b0f9c3b45dfe20ec10ff935194a067a1.jpg

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

Someone walked through our back field today. It annoyed me. 

As a kid, we almost daily used folks side and back yards as cut throughs.  Almost never got pushback.  Jumping fences, squeezing between bushes, scaling walls, whatever.

Nowadays, I rarely am in that situation, but will head off a trail or gravel road to pee regardless of ownership.  

Yes I respect a no trespassing sign..

There was one exception this spring.  One of our routes is north of Carefree Hwy, in the foothills northwest of Cave Creek. In the middle of the route is an out and back to a planned development, with no homes built yet (I still am not sure how they are getting the water, but that is another discussion).  Just before the turnaround is a nice climb for about .5 to .75 mile that starts at 6% and tops out at 13%. The return has a great view of the Valley.  We get to the bottom of the hill and the Town of Cave Creek  has the road blocked (we are guessing teenagers were having parties up there). We had ridden about 20 miles to get there, and the climb was the signature part of the route, soooo, we went under the barrier and made the climb.  Nobody around.

Maricopa is surrounded by Native American Reservations. The Ak-Chin community to the south seems tolerant and somewhat welcoming. There are no signs about trespassing and I have yet to have issue. Most down there wave when I am riding and wave at them. 
The Gila River Reservation to the North is far less welcoming. I found a gravel route out of town to the north. Less than a mile out of town, there was a sign saying I was entering tribal land. Only tribe members welcome. I turned east and the next intersection had them both east and north. I decided not to tempt fate and turned back. My daughter, the photographer, found sometimes all you have to do is ask at the tribal council offices. Asking shows respect and that’s all they want. She hasn’t dealt with the Gila tribes yet, but it has worked further north. 

• Heart 1