Is running evil because you run too slow?

groupw

Between a dreadful winter and trying to train a little smarter, I have been using a treadmill more. When I run outside, even an easy run is faster than what some experts call an "easy" pace. So when I started using the treadmill, I will sometimes force myself to do an easy pace. That is around 10:00 for me. I have noticed my legs feel heavy at the end of what should be an easy session. Lately, I started bumping up the pace .1 mph at a time. I have found that 9:15 is very comfortable and my legs feel better at the end of a session. It forces me to open up my stride so I actually spend less time with my feet on the ground/treadmill and it seems the impact with the surface is much less. 

As I walk behind the treadmills, I can pretty much see those who are running too slow just based on the plodding, high effort they are putting out. 

What the bikeman said. When I quit smoking in 1988 I tried many different activities for fitness. Running, cycling, tennis, basketball. Of all the activities I tried, I disliked running the most. Feet hurt, shins hurt, legs hurt. I'd run on Monday and have to recover on Tuesday. Cycling I can ride 100 miles a day, day after day, with no ill effects. The muscle soreness was there but not as painful. I enjoy walking and hiking, but,        I. Will. Not. Run. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have been getting slower.  This disappoints me.  Last year I was more comfortable around 9:30, maybe 8:45 on a good day.  I'm more comfortable around 10 now.  I can still do the 9:30, it just hurts the lungs a little more.  In speaking with my coach, running more and losing weight will definitely help.  I am working on both now.

It's also relative to your experience.  He's a lifelong athlete, my age, my height, and 40 pounds lighter than me.  We were talking about intervals a few weeks ago.  He wants me to go painfully slow during the easy part so that I can go very hard in the fast part.  We talked about 12 for slow and 8 or faster for fast.  I joked and said his slow was probably 9 and his fast was probably 6, he agreed, but said it's relative to our experience.

I will not lose 40 pounds, but I will lose another 20.  I carried 20lbs of cat litter to the basement last weekend.  All I could think of was how great it will be when I am that much lighter.

• Heart 2

My feet and legs never bother me when I run, my heart rate bothers me. I can run the first mile with no sweat and my heart rate stays about 150. On the second mile, same pace my heart rate starts climbing and usually hits 160 about a half mile, that’s when I start dripping sweat and by the end of the second mile my heart rate is about 168. I can lower my heart rate by slowing down but what’s the fun in that?

I loved running and the simplicity and freedom of running. I started out as a cyclist but ran through much of my 20's & 30's.  

There is nothing like the Zen like feeling of being in a runners zone.  I don't get the same vibe riding.

Running is only evil to those who can't do it.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I loved running and the simplicity and freedom of running. I started out as a cyclist but ran through much of my 20's & 30's.  

There is nothing like the Zen like feeling of being in a runners zone.  I don't get the same vibe riding.

Sort of twue.  I did like the runner's high and the no equipment other than shoes needed, but my knees couldn;t handle it.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Sort of twue.  I did like the runner's high and the no equipment other than shoes needed, but my knees couldn;t handle it.

I have arthritic knees and bone spurs in my ankles I'm guessing the many miles running contributed to.  I run on the treadmill now with negative incline to keep the spur from digging into my achillies.

The speed of scenery. 

When driving things are happening so fast that you have to pay attention, and devote most of your brain power to just controlling the car.

Bicycling things are coming at you slower, but fast enough that you have to pay attention, and on the road the cars are suspect and demand all your attention. And you're biking, digging the sensations, the wind, banking into a turn, racing a robin....

Running things come at you slow, a glance every minute or so will take in the scenery, you're generally out of the way cars, not a lot to concentrate on. And that is the beauty of it, the movements become therapeutic, you can cruise along lost in your thoughts, and often times some clarity happens, when I was running a lot I often would go into a state where I was just floating along, in the zone, or you can ramp it up and put every thing you have into going faster, lost in your own body.  

Running and bicycling overlap a good bit, but I think that running is more introspective.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

This. I never have been in a runner's zone. I feel it on the bike but not running. It's not that I can't do it, I don't like it. I don't expect runners to get cycling either. What works for you doesn't work for everyone. Running sucks but if you like it good for you.

• Haha 1

I loved running, even though I weighed 188 lbs when I won a top 10% medal in the Maryland Marathon.

I coached a high school cross country team and ran with the teenagers until I was 52 and a little over 200 lbs, though running up to the top of one hill where the girl's field hockey practice field was, the girls would yell as me as I passed by, "Hey Mr. C, are you running or walking?"

But a wise man once said, "Anyone who runs more than three miles/day is doing it for reasons other than health."

I had my left Achilles tendon peeled off and reattached and my right one required a lot of physical therapy.  After I retired in the 2000's I could not do any running or walking over a mile without my repaired Achilles tendons aching for a couple days.

Then I discovered bicycling!  I allowed my Achilles tendons to be exercised without the shock caused by hitting the ground each step while running.  Now they're fine, I try to walk 3 miles/day and on rare occasions an Achilles tendon will be sore for a couple hours but ok the next morning.

Shoulder and hip problems have kept me off my bike for awhile, but I'm supposed to be good to go in April.