The Story of the Saddest Lunch Ever, or Maybe Not

Kirby

On 24/02/2018 at 12:23 AM, JerrySTL said:

That is sad. Of course the saddest sandwich is a Wish Sandwich. It's two slices of bread and you wish you had something between them.

There’s a sandwich called a toast sandwich, being a slice of toast as the filling inside 2 slices of bread. How sad is that? I doubt anyone has them nowadays, it goes back to leaner times.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

As a kid, I had that cheese sandwich. I also had onion sandwiches, sliced onion with mustard between sliced white bread. Mmm-mm. A common snack was white sugar on bread. The real delicacy was what we called cinnamon toast; cinnamon, sugar, and butter, on toasted bread.

I have a variant of that cheese sangwich most days for lunch, but at least on wheat bread, and with the white deli cheese, not that cheese food Krap!

It is ok plain but I like to spice it up with dill pickle slices and various mustards, whole grain being the best.  Or jalapenos/poblano slices.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I have a variant of that cheese sangwich most days for lunch, but at least on wheat bread, and with the white deli cheese, not that cheese food Krap!

It is ok plain but I like to spice it up with dill pickle slices and various mustards, whole grain being the best.  Or jalapenos/poblano slices.

The cheese/onion/jalapeño/peanut butter sandwich on oat bread is one of my favorites.

• Awesome 1

My nephew Adam, who will be 10 in June, does NOT like condiments on sandwiches.  Both of his parents do.

I'll be babysitting him most Wednesdays while he's on summer vacation and am already thinking of the best sandwiches I can serve or buy him that he'll like.

He has become used to standard McD's, Burger King, etc. burgers - no special order needed.

But once we were in a Subway and when the person putting the toppings on the meat kept suggesting stuff he almost began to cry!

So he ends up eating and enjoying an Italian BMT, Subway Club, Ham or Roast Beef sandwich with no lettuce, no tomato, no onions, no mayo or mustard, etc.

I hope he grows out of it!

He did like the Philly Cheese Steak from a sub shop friends of mine own, but they follow the "exact" original recipe that has none or virtually no mayo in it and I think he mainly dislikes mayo.

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You guys are effing with me!  Sounds terrible, but I will try it for lunch tomorrow.

Have I mentioned that sounds horribibble?

But I need to run a small pilot before I try it industrial scale. :D

All this talking about it made me hungry so I just made one for myself, sharp cheddar, sweet onion, jalapeno,and all natural peanut butter on oat bread. It was good. Washed down with a DuClaw Dirty Little Freak 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to love that!  Dangit, now I will have to try it again!

Which?  Chicken salad on toasted multigrain or cinnamon toast?  Just to be safe, better have both!

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Which?  Chicken salad on toasted multigrain or cinnamon toast?  Just to be safe, better have both!

The cinnamon toast, but the other sounds ok too!

BTW, I piloted the cheese/PB/jalapeno sandwich (onion foregone because it will be eaten at work).  Very good!  The PB overpowered the cheese at first, but then the cheese comes through in the aftertaste. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

A nice take on cinnamon toast is to make it with an English muffin. You get even more of the cinnamony butter taste with all the crevices.

We used to have a mixture of cinnamon and sugar in a salt shaker when I was a kid.  Do you use any sugar?  Yay, we have a Kirby cooking thread now. :skipping:

• Heart 4

8 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We used to have a mixture of cinnamon and sugar in a salt shaker when I was a kid.  Do you use any sugar?  Yay, we have a Kirby cooking thread now. :skipping:

I don't typically use sugar, but I did as a kid, so feel free to make a sugar/cinnamon mix if you like. :nodhead: