Wheel Bling

Page Turner

...another set of Mavic Open Elites on Shimano RSX hubs for a Ron Cooper that has mismatched wheels.

I think these might be slightly better rims than the TB 14's, but they're also heavier.  The 32 hole ones can be had for half the price, though. :)

Building Bling Wheels 004.JPG

Building Bling Wheels 005.JPG

Building Bling Wheels 006.JPG

• Heart 1

...I ran out of decent hubs to lace, and I still need to do some more wheel projects.

So I finally got around to harvesting the stuff out of the pile of old tubular wheelsets over in a corner under a tarp.

I dismantled and cleaned up a few of them yesterday. Still probably ten or a dozen hubsets to run through the ultrasonic and rebuild.

They made these Campy high flange sets for a long time, and the QR skewers evolved over the years.  But not much.

Campagnolo Record High Flange Hubs 001.JPG

Campagnolo Record High Flange Hubs 003.JPG

Campagnolo Record High Flange Hubs 004.JPG

Campagnolo Record High Flange Hubs 005.JPG

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, donkpow said:

Nice. It is very difficult to find old hubs in good shape. Most often, the races are totally shot.

...look for tubular wheelsets from the 70's. A lot of them only got used as race wheels, and got less abuse than the rims and tyres on them.

Also, there is (or at least was) a portion of them got taken off and replaced with clincher wheel sets, bought instead of rebuilding on the original hubs.

Those are often in decent shape, again because they did not log a lot of miles.  They usually look pretty awful on the exterior, but clean up well.

I cut them out with a small bolt cutter from Harbor Freight used on the spokes near the second cross.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

...put these together yesterday for a Schwinn Voyageur that's a nice bike, but had crappy rims with little or no bead hook.

These babies are awesome....box section rims, a very aggressive bead hook, and lighter than the original Araya rims that were on it.

Schwinn Voyageur Wheels 003.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur Wheels 004.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur Wheels 005.JPG

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...