Trek Stepping Up!

Razors Edge

...to the "Tom's next bike" category*!  This Checkpoint is ticking A LOT of boxes.  Hydro brakes, rack mounts, fender mounts, thru-axles, clearance up to 45mm.  I had liked the Crossrip, but it was missing those thru-axles, and then the Diverge put Specialized in the lead, but it is a little wishy-washy on the rack and fender support. Now this Checkpoint shows up, and it looks pretty well done.

CheckpointSL6_22634_A_Primary.thumb.jpg.8b93785cef03b72abbbb4208d138c2bf.jpg

*this process may rival some folks slow walk to a new car purchase :whistle:

Tom

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...so basically, it's got rack and fender mounts, and room for wider tyres........where have I seen that before ?

It reminds me of something, but I guess it was so long ago I've forgotten. :huh:

No matter how hard you try, you're not going to be able to roll the clock back to the '80s.  Sorry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

No matter how hard you try, you're not going to be able to roll the clock back to the '80s.  Sorry.

...the 80's was not the era of room for fatter tyres.  The 80's was all about short chain stays and 23's.

Th 80's was the first I can recall when bikes actually started showing up with NO PROVISIONS FOR MOUNTING FENDERS AT ALL!!!:angry:

Sorry you missed it.

15 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...so basically, it's got rack and fender mounts, and room for wider tyres........where have I seen that before ?

It reminds me of something, but I guess it was so long ago I've forgotten. :huh:

So this bike is a "winner" to you, too?

Seems like, as I wrote, it ticks the right boxes.

Tom

Dropped by the LBS after my dentist appointment and they had a Checkpoint (size 54) in stock but not my size or color preference.  In general, I liked it quite a bit. Also, there are Diverges and Crosschecks (and others) on the rack next to them which gave me a good look at it versus its similar competition. I actually think it was more white than this, but maybe that was the lighting.  I would choose the black in 56 (most likely), and since these are 2019 models, they are still trickling into the pipeline.

I did pick up a cheap set of pedals and a new pair of PI gloves.

CheckpointSL5_22632_A_Portrait.thumb.jpg.df8b5136a49f7d3403943f5077cf0235.jpg

Tom

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Does the Diverge have the new Future Shock?  Sounds cool, but I also read about people having issues with it.  I'd be surprised if Specialized doesn't scrap it in a few years and you can't get parts for it anymore.  Making the bike junk.

...this approach worked well for Cannondale , with their infamous Headshock.  

You can't make the big money if people just hang onto the damn things and keep riding them.

18 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Does the Diverge have the new Future Shock?  Sounds cool, but I also read about people having issues with it.  I'd be surprised if Specialized doesn't scrap it in a few years and you can't get parts for it anymore.  Making the bike junk.

The higher level Diverges come with the Future Shock.  I also worry about the long term viability of that sort of "tech".  However, my other issue with the FS is the minor - but ugly - way the piece at the intersection of the head tube and the stem moves with the handlebars. An odd decision on their part.

FutureShock.JPG.7276be7aec80e5b97a9094208b6373fd.JPG

Tom

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, dennis said:

The new Salsa Warbird looks hot. My Tuesday night group ride has a couple of Warbird riders and at least one Checkpoint.

Nice.  It deserves it own thread, though!  No rack mounts, though, so a little more "racy" than the Trek.

Tom

On 6/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Razors Edge said:

Nice.  It deserves it own thread, though!  No rack mounts, though, so a little more "racy" than the Trek.

Tom

It says rear rack compatible.

And this: Mid-Blade Mounts for attachment of low rider pannier racks

• Awesome 1