Can't say I'm surprised

Square Wheels

Girls are not your prizes, boys.

There was a podium girl that handed out prizes at an enduro race that I won. Her outfit was sexy and provocative. It was strange for the ladies podium. Sexist as hell. We didn't have podium men giving us prizes. When she put the medal around my neck, I leaned to accept it and it was a load of boobs in my face. 

Cycling is hugely sexist, and leans towards men's desires. 

If course most here are men. You don't get it and can never understand. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

:D

I hear ya. We all need more women in scanty outfits.  It is so creative, uplifting, and empowering for us all.

Tom

It's not about you, or "us all", it's about women having opportunities taken away from them and for some reason, a bunch of SJWs think that's a great thing.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

It's not about you, or "us all", it's about women having opportunities taken away from them and for some reason, a bunch of SJWs think that's a great thing.

Got it. I remember when people were whining about other changes.  Man, if we could just leave well enough alone.

Tom

1 minute ago, Goat Geddah said:

Except it's not.  Of course that doesn't serve the uppity SJW agenda...

podium girls.jpg

Are you saying you don't want these lovely ladies to dress a little more "appropriately"?  Maybe, since it is France, bikinis?  Or, since it is France, a Burkini?

Tom

25 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Judging by the rest of your response, no you don't.  I also know better than to get in a back and forth, so carry on...

100% agree. It is probably better for you to respond to DH's comments. I'm a guy, so we'd just be talking out our azzes to each other. Go ahead and debate one of the females around here who actually has real world experience being a woman.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

100% agree. It is probably better for you to respond to DH's comments. I'm a guy, so we'd just be talking out our azzes to each other. Go ahead and debate one of the females around here who actually has real world experience being a woman.

Tom

And have to listen to delusions about "rape culture"?  No thanks.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

There was a podium girl that handed out prizes at an enduro race that I won. Her outfit was sexy and provocative. It was strange for the ladies podium. Sexist as hell. We didn't have podium men giving us prizes. When she put the medal around my neck, I leaned to accept it and it was a load of boobs in my face. 

I object to the use of a broad brush almost as much as you object to sexism.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Seriously, in today's world we can't rule out that there were women participants who would have found such a presentation appropriate, and who would have considered a male presenter objectionable, misogynistic, and an affront to their choice of lifestyle.

This is still the most stupid idea ever.  Chicks are rightfully objects, and should be objectified like the objects they are, in nice polka dot dresses, pointy bras, and sexy shoes that just scream "TAKE ME FROM BEHIND".  Yeah, yeah, I know some of you think that this way of thinking is medieval and wrong, but you can't always take chicks from the front, that gets old after a while.   

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is still the most stupid idea ever.  Chicks are rightfully objects, and should be objectified like the objects they are, in nice polka dot dresses, pointy bras, and sexy shoes that just scream "TAKE ME FROM BEHIND".  Yeah, yeah, I know some of you think that this way of thinking is medieval and wrong, but you can't always take chicks from the front, that gets old after a while.   

Damn, it is so hot when you get edgy.

9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I hope this doesn't carry over to the automobile industry.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Damn, it is so hot when you get edgy.

It isn't edgy at all, just because I am not a walking sissy-boy who will put up with the neutering of all healthy traditions.  Is there one single compelling reason that chicks shouldn't continue to be on the podium?  First the elephants go, then the circus fails, is that what you want?  Hmmm?

I didn't think so.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Agreed.

It isn't edgy at all, just because I am not a walking sissy-boy who will put up with the neutering of all healthy traditions.  Is there one single compelling reason that chicks shouldn't continue to be on the podium?  First the elephants go, then the circus fails, is that what you want?

No, I want chicks on the podium...not because I'll miss them when they are gone...but because of the asinine reasoning for getting rid of them.

By the way, how is the new job working out?  I've been curious.

18 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

No, I want chicks on the podium...not because I'll miss them when they are gone...but because of the asinine reasoning for getting rid of them.

The tour, and any grand tour, is a spectacle.  Spectacles have lots of different shiny things going on at any moment, something for everyone.  I rarely would watch the podiums, but if I left it on for some reason, the girls were a nice touch.  Very civilizing.  It isn't like the girls are trashy whores or anything, they wore nice clothing that added a bit of flair to the proceedings.  

Removing elements of a spectacle because someone is all butthurt is just dumb as hell, especially if the reasons (or lack of them) for the butthurtedness is ridiculous, and this qualifies.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The tour, and any grand tour, is a spectacle.  Spectacles have lots of different shiny things going on at any moment, something for everyone.  I rarely would watch the podiums, but if I left it on for some reason, the girls were a nice touch.  Very civilizing.  It isn't like the girls are trashy whores or anything, they wore nice clothing that added a bit of flair to the proceedings.  

Removing elements of a spectacle because someone is all butthurt is just dumb as hell, especially if the reasons (or lack of them) for the butthurtedness is ridiculous, and this qualifies.

So what you are saying is that we agree.  Although you seem a bit argumentative...or maybe you're just adding color to my bland statements.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Of course women are not my prizes.  But I don't get why they had girls giving you prizes.  They should have had the Chippendales Male Revue for someone of your stature.

• Heart 2

49 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

By the way, how is the new job working out?  I've been curious.

I am still trying to figure that out.  I have yet to make money, but it has just been a brief while, so I suppose it is to be expected.  I am still in slow motion, and have yet to find the magic formula, time-wise, on how to make things click.  Nobody seems to be training me.  As scary as that sounds, that may be due to confusion or by design.  

The confusion may be that they just kicked off some big-deal online training immediately before I started, and it isn't really geared for someone just starting.  It seems to assume some initial training and/or longtime familiarity, and I think the guy that is meant to be training me doesn't realize this and thinks that training is being taken care of when it isn't.  The 'by design' theory is that maybe they want you to figure it out on your own and that you will find new niches to exploit, I dunno.  The third option is that they figured "bad hire", but I haven't been getting any signals of that nature, pretty much the opposite.

The other part is that I am used to a much more consultative approach, whereas I was initially connecting with the top or top-ish dogs for intro and conceptual framework setting, then network guys to flesh out a design/config or to solve a problem.  It often required research, a deliberate approach, and well-crafted proposals, and approvals up and down the chain.  Sometimes not, but I had to sound like I knew what the hell I was doing on a lot of levels, even when I had no damn idea at all.

This seems geared less towards any advisory role, and straightforward in more of a shifting availability/commoditized way.  I probably have to spend less time on research and to not really care that I don't know everything there is to know about integrated circuit design, for example.  Price calibration is weird, too.  I had a philosophical question about something I was pitching, and got answers all over the board and still didn't know how to price.  I went high, btw, figuring I could figure out where to be based on responses, and had the "the market is the market" rationale to revert to if pressed.

As it is now, I am not sure exactly how it will pan out.  I like everyone there, no slow thinkers, everyone is cool.  The office is nice, location is kind of semi-swank (or at least everyone thinks it is), there is a ping pong table.  Fingers crossed and all that.

25 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

So what you are saying is that we agree.  Although you seem a bit argumentative...or maybe you're just adding color to my bland statements.

I have to go back to what you wrote, I wasn't specifically addressing them when I replied today.  I didn't have time when this first came out and made a mental note to get back to this.

24 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Of course women are not my prizes.  But I don't get why they had girls giving you prizes.  They should have had the Chippendales Male Revue for someone of your stature.

That isn't what I want, either.  How about just have the race promoter hand me prizes in normal clothing?  The sexy and provocative girl was an insult for the lady racers. 

I am not going to reply to anyone else on this topic.  

On 3/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Ok, answered one by one...

This is silly.  Girls giving out prizes is not the same as the girls as the prize.

Why don't you have podium dudes?  No guy cares if you do or don't, we aren't all catty like that.  Besides, you liked the boobs, admit it.

Yes.  More men than women in all sport.  I wish more chicks were sporty and competitive as hell, the world would be a better place.

We understand, but we know it is silly and like it anyway.  It is nice when most chicks we encounter daily are dumpy and dressed in t-shirts, and then we see the opposite when a well-dressed attractive woman presenting at a ceremony that calls for something like that.  It is nice. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am not going to reply to anyone else on this topic.  

You can't go!

Small races don't need podium girls, they are for participants more than the sponsors.  The big races are for sponsors, and you need to bring the maximum return that only podium chicks can bring.  ;)

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have yet to make money, but it has just been a brief while, so I suppose it is to be expected. 

So, I don't know what your job is.  If you did a little write up on it I missed out...I just recall when you recently reported that you had been hired.  Is this commission sales, or do you mean that you haven't made the company any money?

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Nobody seems to be training me.  As scary as that sounds, that may be due to confusion or by design.  

The confusion may be that they just kicked off some big-deal online training immediately before I started, and it isn't really geared for someone just starting.  It seems to assume some initial training and/or longtime familiarity, and I think the guy that is meant to be training me doesn't realize this and thinks that training is being taken care of when it isn't.  The 'by design' theory is that maybe they want you to figure it out on your own and that you will find new niches to exploit, I dunno.

You didn't ask for advice, so take this as an observation.  You seem to be trying to figure out what is going on.  Why not just ask for a meeting with your boss to relay these thoughts you have laid out?  If I had an employee that was as uncertain as you are, I would most definitely want him to seek me out for clarification.  I wouldn't view it as a shortcoming that you are not a mind reader.

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This seems geared less towards any advisory role, and straightforward in more of a shifting availability/commoditized way.  I probably have to spend less time on research and to not really care that I don't know everything there is to know about integrated circuit design, for example.  Price calibration is weird, too.  I had a philosophical question about something I was pitching, and got answers all over the board and still didn't know how to price.  I went high, btw, figuring I could figure out where to be based on responses, and had the "the market is the market" rationale to revert to if pressed.

It's up to you to price a system that you are selling, and you have no formula/guidance for doing so?  In this instance, like you I'd go high...you can always come down...but it sounds like you haven't been given guidance for target margins, etc.  I think going to your boss about training would be helpful to you.  No fun shooting in the dark...

Change of jobs is stressful for obvious reasons....as demonstrated here.

11 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Is this commission sales, or do you mean that you haven't made the company any money?

Both.

You didn't ask for advice, so take this as an observation.  You seem to be trying to figure out what is going on.  Why not just ask for a meeting with your boss to relay these thoughts you have laid out? 

I was just pointing out observations, I am sure I am not unique and these thoughts probably passed through the minds of all the folks as they started.

It is funny you mentioned a meeting, I asked for one on Friday and will meet tomorrow with him.

It's up to you to price a system that you are selling, and you have no formula/guidance for doing so?  In this instance, like you I'd go high...you can always come down...but it sounds like you haven't been given guidance for target margins, etc.  I think going to your boss about training would be helpful to you.  No fun shooting in the dark...

I wish there was some official margin guidance.  When I hired and trained others at a previous gig, I told the guys to shoot for 20% margin at least, more if you thought there was room.  Very situational, but a 20% floor unless there was weird circumstance. 

I have stepped into situations before where I had to figure everything out before, so I suppose I am less freaked than some others would be.  

I still want podium girls, though.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

More men than women in all sport.  I wish more chicks were sporty and competitive as hell, the world would be a better place.

There are still rules to how long a women's race can be, kinda a crazy idea.

Cycling in general isn't easily accessible to watch on American TV, women's cycling is close to impossible.

I'm not for or against podium women or podium men, I just don't know what they are supposed to add.

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm not for or against podium women or podium men, I just don't know what they are supposed to add.

The podium is a celebration, a festivity...a party.  So yeah, get rid of the girls because us dudes know that there is nothing more fun than a bunch of male cyclists "partying' with champagne and flowers without the intrusion of women. 

• Heart 1