Long, whiny, self centered post-avoid

Airehead

I am not sure if I need drugs, counseling, or a new job but bloody durn mess it is getting to me. Young girl dies, sister diagnoses with same condition, credible bomb threat, state audit, and I just picked up a text that said a 20 year old passed quietly at home last night. He has been with us since he was 2. I have known him longer than many people. I haven't even been married that long. He was in school Thursday and we had the stupid snow day Friday. I am full or unfull. Nothing left to give. Now I am calling his past staff to let them know. We will meet Monday at 7:30 to laugh and cry. And I miss my momma.

• Sad 6

48 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Don't forget to take a bit of time for yourself Aire.  Those who provide so much for so many others must take care not to break down themselves.

You are right. Not sure how to make it happen

...hey @Airehead,  you probably don't want to hear this right now, so I won't dwell on it.

But there are some jobs that have a limited useful life expectancy for the person doing them.  I had two, and was lucky to get out healthy (relatively....except for my well known mental status issues. :))

So you don't want to make that decision when you're down, discouraged, or feeling overwhelmed.  But it's something to consider when things calm down a little.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

You are right. Not sure how to make it happen

the only option is to "just make it happen".

This is coming from someone who does a horrible job at just taking a vacation for himself because he can't figure out what he'd do, even if it's the right thing to do.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:28 PM, Airehead said:

I am not sure if I need drugs, counseling, or a new job but bloody durn mess it is getting to me. Young girl dies, sister diagnoses with same condition, credible bomb threat, state audit, and I just picked up a text that said a 20 year old passed quietly at home last night. He has been with us since he was 2. I have known him longer than many people. I haven't even been married that long. He was in school Thursday and we had the stupid snow day Friday. I am full or unfull. Nothing left to give. Now I am calling his past staff to let them know. We will meet Monday at 7:30 to laugh and cry. And I miss my momma.

I went through similar school years and all I can say in encouragement is we lived through it, so hang in there. Summer will helpfully be a healing period and it's on the way.

One year we had a 9th grader who was murdered in the woods she cut through on her way to school each day.  The step-dad was in on the search and, within 15 minutes, "discovered" the body in an off-the-path part of the woods.  Nothing was ever proven.  The same year we had a suicide and some other troubling things.  There was such a flood of students who needed to talk to counselors on several different troubling occasions that our countywide system of twelve high schools and feeder schools were sending counselors from the other schools to our high school for a few days each time. A former chemistry student of mine, Mollie - I had been her favorite teacher in our high school, had become a guidance counselor at one of the other schools and she stopped by to talk to me many times that school year because she was temporarily assigned to our building so often to help handle the flood of upset kids.

• Awesome 1

Oh Aire.  I'm afraid I can't say it as well as the others in this thread, but I'm sorry you're going through this.  The work you do  means it's more likely you're going to face heartbreaking life and death situations.  And things always seem more tragic when they happen to young people.  The problem is when you're in the middle of the situation, you often dealing with the next emergency and don't have a chance to look at the bigger picture and see how important it is for you to take care of yourself.  I'm not sure what that means for you, what things relax you, bring you peace and raise your spirits.  Whatever it is, you have to take some time to do it. Even if you disappoint someone now by not being available, you'll disappoint fewer people in the long run if you've had some chance for a break so that you can recharge.

Don't forget to keep in mind that the work you do every day, that may just seem like routine to you, is like a miracle for so many of those you work with and for.  You may hardly acknowledge it anymore, being so close to it and doing it everyday, but imagine what life might be like for some of your charges if not for you and those like you!  You're making a difference in so many lives, these events that seem so major when they happen are really just minor speed bumps along the way.

I don't know how well these comments will be received but I'll toss them out anyway. People who can react well in a crisis should be admired. So much of their person is subjugated in order to act for the greater good. Training to operate under duress can bring most of us into service at critical times. Still, a strong personal belief system, perhaps value based, can let us accomplish great things as well as help with recovery.

• Heart 1