Pay to park your car?

Dirtyhip

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

So true. It's almost a rarity to find one that does not. Portland is pretty easy that way.

I was wondering if you were going to Portland.  When I was there last year I recall many were meter only.  In OC where I live parking is almost always free.  In the outlying areas of LA it is too but in downtown and the West side of LA you gotta pay to park.

Around here the municipalities have started to get rid of the parking meters - too much maintenance and the labor/materials were too expensive to perform that maintenance.

So now they took down the meters and installed these kiosks where you pay and it spits out a receipt.  Then you put the receipt on your dash where the parking 'meter' cop can see it.

Works OK I suppose, except they still haven't figured out how to make this system work for motorcycles.

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Where are you getting your strange at?

Eugene.  Land of the hippies.

I am going to Lane Co. for a property tax hearing. We are trying to appeal a property tax assessment.  The assessed us at double the market value. 

Was talking to my husband.  I said "dress somewhat poor." He replied "So, dress like we normally look?"  HAHA, right.

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Around here the municipalities have started to get rid of the parking meters - too much maintenance and the labor/materials were too expensive to perform that maintenance.

So now they took down the meters and installed these kiosks where you pay and it spits out a receipt.  Then you put the receipt on your dash where the parking 'meter' cop can see it.

Works OK I suppose, except they still haven't figured out how to make this system work for motorcycles.

We have kiosks that don't require the printout on the dashboard, the meter people just check at the kiosk who's not paid. The nice thing is you can renew your meter by phone via an app without going back to your car.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are heading to the big city soon.  Had to leave cash in the wallet for an insane reason.  They charge you to park your car. 

So strange to me.

No, it costs a municipality to maintain its roads. People have to get over the thought that the road use is free and we hog it for whatever reason for many days, months on a residential street.

In Calgary, we have car parking bans at certain days in winter, so that the snow plows can properly remove lots of snow. Of course, some car drivers ignore it...yes there is a fine on errant parked car.  It creates icy snowbanks which makes it hard to get out of a car.  There will be car parking bans on certain streets this week, since we just had a dump of 20-30 cm. of snow in past 2 days.

It continues to amaze one, how people assume that things in a city are "free".  There is a serious cost...borne in locals' property tax for building infrastructure, maintaining it.  Millions, now billions of $$$   over several years for a city over 1 million people. Living in a sprawl city worsens the cost.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We have kiosks that don't require the printout on the dashboard, the meter people just check at the kiosk who's not paid. The nice thing is you can renew your meter by phone via an app without going back to your car.

They have those at our local beaches.  Pretty handy as you don't have to come back every few hours to feed the machine.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No, it costs a municipality to maintain its roads. People have to get over the thought that the road use is free and we hog it for whatever reason for many days, months on a residential street.

In Calgary, we have car parking bans at certain days in winter, so that the snow plows can properly remove lots of snow. Of course, some car drivers ignore it...yes there is a fine on errant parked car.  It creates icy snowbanks which makes it hard to get out of a car.  There will be car parking bans on certain streets this week, since we just had a dump of 20-30 cm. of snow in past 2 days.

It continues to amaze one, how people assume that things in a city are "free".  There is a serious cost...borne in locals' property tax for building infrastructure, maintaining it.  Millions, now billions of $$$   over several years for a city over 1 million people. Living in a sprawl city worsens the cost.

We pay property taxes, gas taxes, state taxes, tax on car sales, etc.  Still, it never seems to be enough.   

I never assumed things like roads and snow plowing are free.  We pay for things like snow plowing in our taxes.

We ride our bikes to work every single day.  

Actually, I meant for my thread to just be a funny quip.  I've almost never paid for parking.  It just feels strange to me.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are heading to the big city soon.  Had to leave cash in the wallet for an insane reason.  They charge you to park your car. 

So strange to me.

I can't stand paying to park a car. It's bullshit IMO. The one time a year I go to a city like Ann Arbor, everything is pay parking. Then you need to usually walk a mile to get to where you're going. And perhaps be like, "Oh shit, I need to put more money in the meter...be right back". :huh: I'm so glad I live in an area where parking is free...like in Monopoly :D and I can park w/in several spots from the door. Ann Arbor makes it convenient though. I think all  the parking meters take cash & CC.

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We pay property taxes, gas taxes, state taxes, tax on car sales, etc.  Still, it never seems to be enough.   

I never assumed things like roads and snow plowing are free.  We pay for things like snow plowing in our taxes.

We ride our bikes to work every single day.  

Actually, I meant for my thread to just be a funny quip.  I've almost never paid for parking.  It just feels strange to me.

Enjoy your time in city, Dirtyhip.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-snow-warning-record-1.4561074      

What I found distasteful are ....some municipal employees who complain about their property taxes.  My thought is:  Are you contributing to efficient use of the tax dollars?