It Is Time

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

For a break.

It seems to me the atmosphere in the Café has become more contentious and edgy than I remember.  I fully admit that, for my own specific reasons, I contributed on occasion to the atmosphere I perceive, and I accept full responsibility for my part.

I visit the Forum for enjoyment and the intelligent company, and I suspect most others here do the same.  As such, in accepting the responsibility for my part I believe I would be highly disrespectful of others were I to continue to make contributions that would diminish their experience.

I credit SW and the Moderators for doing their job well.  Were someone to ask what I thought they could do better I’d have no recommendations to offer, but only heartfelt praise.  I know in their place I could only do worse; in fact, I would do much worse.

All of which leads me to conclude my discomfiture lies nowhere else but with my own sensitivities.  Following my same behavior patterns is not likely to decrease or amend those sensitivities.  I anticipate new patterns will, or perhaps will at least help me recognize what is driving those sensitivities.  That in turn hopefully leads to some self-improvement, if I may be allowed to flatter myself that such a thing is possible to me.

So why The Big Announcement?  In the past when I absented the Forum several kind people became concerned about my welfare.  I would be very rude and thoughtless to cause them further needless worry.  Were I to send them a PM I’m certain I’d in error in leave some people out, so I resort to a general post to reach them all.

Many others here have been gracious to me.  I would be insensitive and a boor were I not to recognize their kindness to me as well, should I take leave without recognizing the courtesies they’ve extended.

Forming habits and revising behaviors take about 30 days to ingrain; at least that is my experience for me.  I believe I would need that time to recognize what sensitivities drive my discomfort, and to make changes.  So, I will be absent for at least that long on the rather bold assumption I can get it right on the first try. 

Then it may be appropriate for me to look in on the Forum to test myself to see if I can contribute in a more positive fashion.

I owe thanks to those here who helped me recognize how my sensitivities could point to the need for self-improvement, something which I admit I am often too slow to recognize on my own.

In the interim, however, I ask that you accept my Best Wishes along with my sincere thanks for all the kindness and graciousness you’ve shown me!

• Sad 4

I understand fully and have done similar, though I doubt with the same resolve which you display.  In a way, I am glad you are taking a break, as it was getting very difficult  to make up names like Takingabreak Kuzheneedstochange.

Be well friend.  You will be missed.

In parting I would just like to say I caught you a delicious bass and bite me butt munch

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

We are the sum of our parts here, both good and bad.  We will be lessened a bit now.  I'm confident that TK will return because during my travels I've not found a nicer place than this.  Most are much worse for contention.  SW, you and the mods must remain vigilant while manning the walls.

• Heart 1

TK, don’t stay gone too long. You are the voice of reason on this forum and one of my favorite posters. I must be pretty dense because I seldom notice contention. I see some forumites make some rude remarks to each other (not you) but I always thought they were friends trying to be funny. Like when Jsharr says “bite me butt munch”. Will you get PMs while you are not participating on the forum? I am thinking about taking a ride up your direction this summer and if I’m in the neighborhood I would like to say hi. My last time on the canal I was on the organized ride and didn’t have a lot of free time. I did get to meet Tude.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

TK, don’t stay gone too long. You are the voice of reason on this forum and one of my favorite posters. I must be pretty dense because I seldom notice contention. I see some forumites make some rude remarks to each other (not you) but I always thought they were friends trying to be funny. Like when Jsharr says “bite me butt munch”. Will you get PMs while you are not participating on the forum? I am thinking about taking a ride up your direction this summer and if I’m in the neighborhood I would like to say hi. My last time on the canal I was on the organized ride and didn’t have a lot of free time. I did get to meet Tude.

Agreed on the grass not being greener. I am on a financial site that is heavily moderated. They just discovered the parody thing. I am shocked that it did not get locked down early. For reference the original post was 

I sold all my stocks

Parody: I sold all my socks

It went for 5 pages

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It seems to me the atmosphere in the Café has become more contentious and edgy than I remember.  I fully admit that, for my own specific reasons, I contributed on occasion to the atmosphere I perceive, and I accept full responsibility for my part.

I've not noticed you to be anything other than a gentleman.

Hope you return.

• 1 year later...

Hmmmm. I missed this and I in my own way ventured away as well.

@Thaddeus Kosciuszko,  I got to know you over the course of your tenure in the forums and was fortunate enough to get to meet you and spend a week with you riding on the C&O.  I can honestly say that you could not be a more gracious person; one whom I am honored to call friend. 

I hope you make your way back and I will reach out to you privately as well. 

Peace.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2