Dangit! My "new" car is getting old

Ralphie

My wife wants to trade in my Element. She said I can have her Pilot, it’s newer. I love my element. She said we don’t have to trade anything in but she doesn’t think we really need three cars. I think her idea is to have a loaner car for the kids if they need to borrow it.

My Honda is also approaching 4 years... the battery has already been replaced (under warranty).  The windshield wipers are horrible - I ordered new ones and they sent the old style ones (with the metal frames, not the beam type) and I need to send them back.  I think I just passed 58K miles.

I've kept my past cars long enough to replace the batteries and about 5 years has been typical. My last two cars were a 1997 Ford Taurus and a 1987 Chevy Corsica.

My current 2013 Honda Fit is just over 5 years old and the battery is fine (I've only put 39,000 miles on it), but the battery is a little on the small side and has and an irregular shape so you have to get one that's specifically made for the Fit and most places do not sell it.  I may do a cross-country trip in 2019 and, a month ahead of time, I intend to replace the battery since it will surely be near its end and so I won't have an unpleasant surprise at some relatively isolated place out West. Fortunately, the Fit is one of the few subcompacts today that comes with a spare tire.

13 hours ago, Rumble_Strip said:

I just had to replace the battery in our 2005 Pontiac Vibe. It was the original battery.

The car has 163,000 miles on it.

That's good battery life. I think I am on my third battery in my 2003 Accord (150k), as I got one a new one about six month ago. It might be just the second one, but I don't keep records :(

Tom 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That's good battery life. I think I am on my third battery in my 2003 Accord (150k), as I got one a new one about six month ago. It might be just the second one, but I don't keep records :(

Tom 

Just recently put my 3rd (original + two replacements) on my 2000 Maxima (<100k).