Road Bike Fenders

Razors Edge

I ordered a set of SKS Raceblade Long fenders for my Roubaix ($57), and I installed them today. I haven't gotten them out in the rain/wet yet to see how they do, but the install was relatively straightforward and only required a single allen wrench.  You can see how the brakes are avoided (pic 4), and also how the Roubaix, which has no fender or rack mounts, uses a thin metal piece on the QR (pic 3).  That is the MAIN drawback of this system - the fenders need to be disconnected (at the junction piece in pic 3) if removing the wheel, OR the QR must be removed first from the wheel. Neither is an issue AT HOME in a garage, but on a wet or cold ride??? Maybe not so nice.  Likewise, the fenders are for rain ONLY. Mud or ice would likely squeeze into the gap between the tire and fender and makes things not work.  So, it is a conditional THUMBS UP with the mud/ice caveat and a pending wet ride to see how it all shakes out (including shaking noises???).

IMG_5864.JPG.0d92546d96a49cdc055d7f14c30a788a.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG.8a59e7065f4c0eb3a1e0eb6c70dc6d69.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG.8661d25181f29e96a84d917854b99031.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG.45b8e0b12c70bdcdf77a6a379d9ab5f6.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG.eceba87b03ca92e9f2e04cedee821b0c.JPG

Tom

...yeah.  Those bikes are not well designed for the addition of filth propylactics.

I rode this one yesterday, which is very well designed for fenders, but is not lightweight or plastic.

5aa4960b96bff_Fenders019.thumb.JPG.759ee49a02dc1db0c20cfef6b63aa12a.JPG

There really are no bicycle fenders that work well in snow and ice. None I've experienced anyway.

They all eventually jam up with crud between the tyre and the fender.

11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...yeah.  Those bikes are not well designed for the addition of filth propylactics.

I rode this one yesterday, which is very well designed for fenders, but is not lightweight or plastic.

5aa4960b96bff_Fenders019.thumb.JPG.759ee49a02dc1db0c20cfef6b63aa12a.JPG

There really are no bicycle fenders that work well in snow and ice. None I've experienced anyway.

They all eventually jam up with crud between the tyre and the fender.

Pretty bike.

On my commuter, I have a pretty big gap between the tires and fenders.  I'm relatively fine riding in slushy or light mud, and it is the cassette and chain that get gummed/iced up fastest in bad weather.

On the Roubaix, there is no way I am getting the same level of clearance as my commuter.

Tom

My favorite are the Crud Road Racer fenders. They're light, and you can remove the wheels without bothering the fender set up. What I really like is the plastic will break is something hard gets jammed in there, which is much better than getting catapulted from your bike if a branch gets stuck. That actually happened to me once, and I had ordered spare parts so replacing it was easy. I've been using them for years without incident.