Which one of you has done this?

TrentonMakes

While bailing water out of the house's two sumps Thursday night I was looking at my old Panasonic bike, and the mag trainer, and wondering what I would have to do in order to MacGyver some way to pedal a bicycle and generate enough electricity to run the pump for a little bit.  After UTFG it looks like I'd need an electric motor, battery, AC inverter, and a few other bits (and probably a wheel dedicated to this purpose).  Surely someone here has done this...

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Could you go mechanical rather than electrical?  Seems like pumps of different sorts have been around for centuries? 

Honestly, though, maybe just the cheapest Honda generator would be more versatile and far simpler.

Tom

That was my first thought. There is a lot of power lost in going through a generator to an electric motor to a pump.

Something else, electric motor operated pumps are likely to be 'non-positive' displacement type pumps. More losses, especially against head pressure.

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Could you go mechanical rather than electrical? 

That was my first thought too, but based on Google returns it seems most people are attacking this problem the other way.  Or more likely, most people are more concerned about generating electricity to power multiple devices.  A mechanical sump pump is a one-trick pony that won't charge a phone.

It is probably a 'blessing in disguise' that the basement took on water even while we are finalizing the agreement with a contractor to finish half of it.  I will make damn sure to include redundant systems to keep it dry. Simply elevating everything - on tables, or to the garage - won't be enough anymore.

...in the fire department, we just used a portable pump unit with a built in IC engine. They work great, too.

WB20_6302_600.jpg

429 bucks with free shipping.  Make sure to install a fuel shutoff if it doesn't have one, and run the gas out of the carb between uses.

https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Honda-WB20-Water-Pump/p6302.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwypjVBRANEiwAJAxlIpAMZhtRmJLuqEBFm98VqMI2rJyLygbCYpt0xsUNVleMoPH9gUSgRRoCg_sQAvD_BwE

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Didn't the Professor do something like that with a Gilligan powered bamboo bike and coconut shells?!?!?

No, that was the pedal powered scuba pump.  He will need to make one of those after his pedal powered water pump fails and his basement floods.

Image result for gilligan's island scuba pump

They also had a pedal powered washing machine.  Maybe he can make one of those to go with his pedal powered water pump.

Image result for gilligan's island pedal powered washing machine

They also had the pedal powered radio transmitter.

Image result for gilligan's island pedal powered washing machine

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

You are just thinking all wrong about this.  If you head to the basement for a workout and find the bike underwater, switch your workout to swimming.  Why must you all complicate life?

This sounds like something TK would have said. Good job covering for him while he is on a sabatickle.

• Awesome 1