More dumps along the way

shootingstar

We have had off and on at least 4 dumps of snow this winter...each time 30 cm. of snow.  Right now, it's bright sunshine at 0 degree C.  But another snow wave coming in about 18 hrs.  We just got our dump yesterday.  Very tiring. I just heard that lack of snow cleared residential roads in suburbs is bad for past few months.

Ok...we're the only dumb city left standing in North America for the 2026 Winter Olympics.  This is what we are getting now as a forecast into future..too much snow for a costly bid and upcoming Games. 

Maybe snow will bury us and no one will notice. 

20 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

It's come already :huh:  Yesterday was totally different --warm, lovely and sunny.  Right now it's grey, gently falling snow and slightly wet.  I would welcome this in early Dec.....but not near the spring equinox.  :(  This amount of snow this winter is becoming tiring.  I can't imagine living in a mountain winter ski resort area towards end of winter ... waiting for spring and all the snow /ice to melt.  Hiking in early spring isn't that fun nor pretty in those areas.  

Just now, shootingstar said:

It's come already :huh:  Yesterday was totally different --warm, lovely and sunny.  Right now it's grey, gently falling snow and slightly wet.  I would welcome this in early Dec.....but not near the spring equinox.  :(

We can get these types of snows in May, and I assume the same is true for your area.

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We can get these types of snows in May, and I assume the same is true for your area.

Yup.  This was in early May few years ago. Yes, I tried to bike. Slippery.

It's not clear this year...if all this snow in the mountains, which our area gets the run-off in rivers, will be some flooding.  Flood prone season in our city is mid-June to early July every year. In fact, there's certain construction work that is stopped during this time period near the river areas.  It's a flood window.  I know...I work for the municipality.  

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/looking-into-canadas-soul-part-i-freaking-out-over-vast-time-distance-and-climatic-toughness/

may2014calgary-snow.jpg

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It's come already :huh:  Yesterday was totally different --warm, lovely and sunny.  Right now it's grey, gently falling snow and slightly wet.  I would welcome this in early Dec.....but not near the spring equinox.  :(  This amount of snow this winter is becoming tiring.  I can't imagine living in a mountain winter ski resort area towards end of winter ... waiting for spring and all the snow /ice to melt.  Hiking in early spring isn't that fun nor pretty in those areas.  

I don't understand all of the complaining about winter and snow. It can't be good for your mental health. Can you do anything about the weather? No? Then what good is complaining about it? Yes, spring hiking in a ski town is called mud season. But the road riding is amazing. Do I like mud? No. But there are other things to do.

I was never much of a road cyclist until I moved here. The wet spring weather pushed me toward it and I've embraced it and learned to love it.

If you don't like things where you live, do something about it. Move. 

22483_611382638998368_5880995679958964720_n.jpg

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, dennis said:

I don't understand all of the complaining about winter and snow. It can't be good for your mental health. Can you do anything about the weather? No? Then what good is complaining about it? Yes, spring hiking in a ski town is called mud season. But the road riding is amazing. Do I like mud? No. But there are other things to do.

I was never much of a road cyclist until I moved here. The wet spring weather pushed me toward it and I've embraced it and learned to love it.

There is a reality dennis:  It's earning money where I have lived. It's a reality most of us must live for a number of years.

After months of job searching, I accepted a job offer in the prairies....and moved from Vancouver BC. Easy  to say  "move" as a simple solution...and I've also lived and worked in Toronto which is highly culturally dynamic, despite weather conditions. I have moved in major relocations and lived across Canada in 3 different regions/provinces....that's much more than a lot of Canadians in a vast country.  Don't lecture me about "moving", then.   (And I should be so ashamed about my "moves" when parents moved/immigrated from another country into a totally different linguistic environment.)

I've made some difficult choices in life. We have scenery like above, just 120 km. northwest which we visit a few times a year. Of course, we've biked the TransCanada Highway....  Do not judge a person so immediately until you hear their story more deeply.  They've done things also in their part of the world.   Sure I've biked in winter within certain limits.

I live in a city where the biggest changes in our city is driven/led by other people moving in and from other parts of Canada/world.  It's really hard to have even university-educated and locally born residents, to think radically how to change their city to be more pleasant place to live.  They are unwilling to stick out their necks   --unless they are led by a new player/newcomer.   ie. The cycling infrastructure in our city has been forged and led by people who recently moved to our area from outside of the Canadian prairies. Same for the concept of transit oriented communities....  

I will spend more time in Vancouver when one day I will not be working. (I'm actually tired of hearing long time Calgarians wishing for the good oil boom days again. It's not going to happen in that way  again with stratosphere money pumping for many people.)

3 hours ago, dennis said:

I love this picture.

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

There is a reality dennis:  It's earning money where I have lived. It's a reality most of us must live for a number of years.

After months of job searching, I accepted a job offer in the prairies....and moved from Vancouver BC. Easy  to say  "move" as a simple solution...and I've also lived and worked in Toronto which is highly culturally dynamic, despite weather conditions. I have moved in major relocations and lived across Canada in 3 different regions/provinces....that's much more than a lot of Canadians in a vast country.  Don't lecture me about "moving", then.   (And I should be so ashamed about my "moves" when parents moved/immigrated from another country into a totally different linguistic environment.)

I've made some difficult choices in life. We have scenery like above, just 120 km. northwest which we visit a few times a year. Of course, we've biked the TransCanada Highway....  Do not judge a person so immediately until you hear their story more deeply.  They've done things also in their part of the world.   Sure I've biked in winter within certain limits.

I live in a city where the biggest changes in our city is driven/led by other people moving in and from other parts of Canada/world.  It's really hard to have even university-educated and locally born residents, to think radically how to change their city to be more pleasant place to live.  They are unwilling to stick out their necks   --unless they are led by a new player/newcomer.   ie. The cycling infrastructure in our city has been forged and led by people who recently moved to our area from outside of the Canadian prairies. Same for the concept of transit oriented communities....  

I will spend more time in Vancouver when one day I will not be working. (I'm actually tired of hearing long time Calgarians wishing for the good oil boom days again. It's not going to happen in that way  again with stratosphere money pumping for many people.)

To be clear: I did not lecture you. I am not judging you. You do not have to be ashamed. Reread what I wrote. 

You have the opportunity to celebrate and enjoy the area where you. You choose to complain. You can stay positive. I believe it's better for my own mental health to stay positive. I find the best in winter, spring, summer, and fall. Winter makes for great fatbiking and skiing. In the spring, I mostly ride the roads and some gravel. In the summer, I'll ride the trails and gravel. Fall can be gravel, road, or trails depending on the weather. On bad weather days, I catch up on reading.

If you don't like your situation, do something about it. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, dennis said:

It's really hard to have even university-educated and locally born residents, to think radically how to change their city to be more pleasant place to live. 

Perhaps the locally born residents find their own city plenty pleasant to live in.

Perhaps they don't see a need to change their style/values to accommodate a transient population.

Perhaps there is value in taking people for who and what they are as opposed to trying to impose one's one values on them.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

If you don't like your situation, do something about it. 

Gotta earn money.  Finding a job elsewhere isn't that simple ....I've switched jobs several times already, career-wise.

1 hour ago, LabDaddy said:

Perhaps the locally born residents find their own city plenty pleasant to live in.

Perhaps they don't see a need to change their style/values to accommodate a transient population.

Perhaps there is value in taking people for who and what they are as opposed to trying to impose one's one values on them.

Well, these are people who relocate to the city to work. That is the basis why a lot of folks move into our area:  it's primarily work.  Some people are hired to introduce and lead new things for the city because the ...city needs it. Otherwise we would be a sterile city that continues to sprawl.  Then some people stay here.  People don't choose to retire in our area unless they were born in the area/on farm in  same province, or they want to be near family/friends.  Or those who immigrate follow a family member who got a job in our area.  Not because they love our climate/area.

Just to be blunt, there were less non-whites living in the city 20 years ago. It's changed abit now. 1.3 million people. Lots of people here for many years now.

That was taken in the parking lot off the one way loop road.  Most areas did not have that much snow.  I have also been ice biking quite a few years ago on the lake from the dam area, on a mountain bike.  Most years you can't do that, as the ice is too thin, but that year there were snowmobiles on the lake, so we knew it was safe.  I try for at least one ride in that area every year.

13 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

That was taken in the parking lot off the one way loop road.  Most areas did not have that much snow.  I have also been ice biking quite a few years ago on the lake from the dam area, on a mountain bike.  Most years you can't do that, as the ice is too thin, but that year there were snowmobiles on the lake, so we knew it was safe.  I try for at least one ride in that area every year.

If we are talking about the same place, last spring I saw a bear on that loop just before the parking lot. It's a great little loop I try to incorporate into my rides as much as possible. I usually stop for a break and take in the view.

2 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

I have never seen any bears in the parks that early.  I have seen bison, elk, deer, and moose, as well as coyotes and foxes.  I did see an otter on the ice near some open water by the dam one year.

Map00001.jpg

The grizzlies are waking up. The first ones have been spotted.

The view across the lake is pretty nice.

1016171400a.jpg