What's the best e-bank?

donkpow

23 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

What is an e-bank?  A back without any physical locations?  Why do I want that?  I have Bank of America.  If I need cash, they are located everywhere.  Their site is decent.  THeir interest rate on checking / saving are just as pathetic as anyone else's.

The promised advantages of an e-bank are lower costs and higher interest rates compared to a conventional bank. Traditional banks are gutting consumers with fees. Unless you are a big money customer.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

The promised advantages of an e-bank are lower costs and higher interest rates compared to a conventional bank. Traditional banks are gutting consumers with fees. Unless you are a big money customer.

...that's how they sold Synchrony to my wife.  I remain skeptical.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

Kick the high fees and low rates banks to the curb. Credit unions do the same thing but they're better.

...that's actually where I take my business here (Golden One Credit Union). 

They have the same suckass interest rates on most stuff, but at least I know that my money isn't going to Mr Potter.

d9a.gif

• Heart 2

Another vote for USAA. While I don't use them for banking other than a credit card, my daughter does for her US$ account. Swiss banks have shifted to electronic and plastic, not able to accept checks. When she received US$ checks, all she has to do is scan it with her phone to deposit it in her USAA account while physically in Europe. She can always transfer between banks with a favorable exchange rate, but usually just builds up for when visiting in the States, or make USAA credit card payments which now doesn't have a foreign exchange fee.

• Heart 2