Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 (an early one)

Page Turner

...this is the bike that got  the 27" wheelsI built in the wheel bling thread.

A tiny bit of history: this is probably from 1980 or 1981, at the beginning of when Japan started building really good bikes,

instead of the durable but uninspired and heavy product they had been shipping over here since the bike boom of the early 70's.

It's also (in retrospect) the beginning of the end for Schwinn.  Because eventually the Asian producers ate Schwinn's lunch.

You hear a lot about Voyageurs, because they eventually became some of the nicest factory production touring bikes you could find to buy.

This one is more like a sport tourer in configuration, with regular sidepull  caliper brakes, and a not so wide gearing range with a double on the front and 5/6 in the back.

The original wheels were just OK, even if you consider they were sold in the early 80's.  By then there were way better rims than Araya, and Schwinn cheaped out on the spokes, going with galvanized.

So even with the best modern higher pressure tyres, I was stuck with inflation pressures in the 70-80psi range.  The bike was kinda doggy in all respects, except the chrome looks cool.

With Sun CR 18 rims and some 1 1/4" Panaracer tyres, it becomes a whole different bicycle, in terms of ride, acceleration, and handling. Very happy with the results.

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 002.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 003.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 004.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 005.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 006.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 007.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 008.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 009.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 010.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 011.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 013.JPG

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 015.JPG

• Heart 1

...I think it's only the three main tubes, and of course the seat tube is single butted, if butted at all. 

But still, an excellent frame for the time to see for sale at a Schwinn dealer's shop. 

It's too bad they opted for such low end components.  Otherwise these would have immediately become famous.

They sold a lot of them, probably because of the chrome socks and general appearance.  They show up on the local CL here all the time.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:24 PM, Page Turner said:

This one is more like a sport tourer in configuration, with regular sidepull  caliper brakes, and a not so wide gearing range with a double on the front and 5/6 in the back.

What exactly is a "5/6 in the back"?

And, Schwinn "approved" is new to me. That seems pretty wacky!

Nice pics.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What exactly is a "5/6 in the back"?

...it's wide enough that it originally came with a six speed Shimano Ultraglide freehub cluster, for which they no longer make cogsets.

So unless you're lucky enough to have a narrowly spaced six speed freewheel from those times, or are in possession of some backup cogs that fit, 

The smart thing to do was to rebuild the wheels with a freewheel threaded hub, and put on a five cog freewheel (or one you make from a six by removing one cog).

Otherwise the chain interferes with the stay.  Or you can go through the process of cold setting the rear spacing and go with different wider hubs.

But I already built the wheels on those hubs. These are things that come up from time to time.

The whole "Schwinn Approved' thing is pretty entertaining, and went on for years as they slipped farther and farther into the abyss.

• Awesome 1

On 3/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, jsharr said:

Maybe I should take and post a few pictures of my 1983 Cannondale st500

...you should do this.  The plastic bike guys will laugh because it's olde, and I will make some cutting remark about aluminum frames.

A good time will be had by everyone involved.:default_sissy-fight-smiley: