Closing The Gap!

Razors Edge

...on heart health and heart disease!!!

In the first survey period of the study, from 1988 to 1994, the proportion of younger African-American adults with optimal heart health was about 23 percentage points lower than for whites, while Mexican-Americans lagged by about 13 to 16 percentage points, the study found.

By the last survey period, from 2011 to 2014, the proportion of younger African-American adults with optimal heart health was about 11 percentage points lower than whites, while Mexican-Americans lagged by about 7 to 8 percentage points.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In the first survey period of the study, from 1988 to 1994, the proportion of younger African-American adults with optimal heart health was about 23 percentage points lower than for whites, while Mexican-Americans lagged by about 13 to 16 percentage points, the study found.

By the last survey period, from 2011 to 2014, the proportion of younger African-American adults with optimal heart health was about 11 percentage points lower than whites, while Mexican-Americans lagged by about 7 to 8 percentage points.

Tom

So what was the baseline for whites?

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The article also states this is due to worsening by the white population.  Overall, we Americans are in poor health.

Like that matters!  We are closing the GAP by whatever means necessary!!!

I'm also thinking Texas is helping us out a LOT with change :D

Tom

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The article also states this is due to worsening by the white population.  Overall, we Americans are in poor health.

That's what I thought might be the reason.

When I retired from teaching in 2006, that year's Homecoming Queen at our school would have been considered fat and out of shape in the 1980's and would have had trouble getting a date to the Homecoming Dance, let alone reigning as Queen.

But by 2006, "fat" was so common she was simply considered "pleasingly plump" even though she was heavier than the heavy women in vogue in 1600's Renaissance paintings.

The one high-school teen girl in our close family circle is a little on the heavy side, but she makes tons of tips at the crab shack where she's a part-time waitress because she's cute and the attitude toward a healthy-looking body has changed.  She's tall and plays varsity basketball, but I fear she's going to have a heart attack because she doesn't stay in shape and work on the weight out-of-season.

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

"People in the study got poor heart health scores with high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, high blood sugar, obesity, inactivity, smoking and a diet with limited fruits, vegetables, and whole grains."

I wonder how this was scored.

For example, the physical activity guidelines are 2 1/2 hours of moderate cardio plus 2 days of whole body weight training.

So you can ride your bike 10 hours in a week, and not meet the standards if you didn't do that weight training.

5 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

"People in the study got poor heart health scores with high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, high blood sugar, obesity, inactivity, smoking and a diet with limited fruits, vegetables, and whole grains."

For example, the physical activity guidelines are 2 1/2 hours of moderate cardio plus 2 days of whole body weight training.

So you can ride your bike 10 hours in a week, and not meet the standards if you didn't do that weight training.

The study link is there in the article (a bitly) 

Measurements:

Racial/ethnic, nativity, and period differences in Life's Simple 7 (LS7) health factors and behaviors (blood pressure, cholesterol, hemoglobin A1c, body mass index, physical activity, diet, and smoking) and optimal composite scores for cardiovascular health (LS7 score ≥10).

Apparently, "LS7" is short for "Life’s Simple 7", and you could dig further to see more about how those are scored.  I see one study where they use this scoring:

Each LS7 component was given a point score of 0, 1 or 2 to represent poor, intermediate, or ideal health, respectively.12 An overall LS7 score ranging from 0–14 was calculated as the sum of the LS7 component scores. This score was classified as inadequate (0–4), average (5–9) or optimum (10–14) cardiovascular health.

with "Physical Activity - Adult (>20 years)":

Ideal: Moderate-intensity activity ≥150 min/week or vigorous-intensity activity ≥75 min/week or combination

Intermediate: Moderate-intensity activity 1-149 min/week or vigorous-intensity activity 1-74 min/week or combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity 1-149 min/week

Poor: None

....so it looks like weight training is not part of their heart health specific measurements.  Do you think weight training has heart health benefits?

Tom

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

Wasn't your whole body's weight on the bike? :D

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

....so it looks like weight training is not part of their heart health specific measurements.  Do you think weight training has heart health benefits?

I brought up weight training solely in the context of meeting the physical activity guidelines (which they are a part of), to indicate that they used a binary approach: you either met it, or didn't. Hence the question on how they scored it (was it binary or on a scale), to which you've answered. (Thanks!)

1 minute ago, LabDaddy said:

I brought up weight training solely in the context of meeting the physical activity guidelines (which they are a part of), to indicate that they used a binary approach: you either met it, or didn't. Hence the question on how they scored it (was it binary or on a scale), to which you've answered. (Thanks!)

Yeah, but I'm now interested in if weight training DOES have a positive heart health impact!

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, but I'm now interested in if weight training DOES have a positive heart health impact!

Tom

Probably not a lot outside of the generalized "exercising".

Resistance training is more about maintaining strength, lean mass, bone health, and insulin sensitivity.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I think it can.  I do a circuit in the weight room with very little rest between sets and move to machine to machine quickly.  I get my heart rate up doing it that eay.

Doing a 4 reps, waiting 2 minutes, another 4 reps ain't going to get tour heart rate up.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Doing a 4 reps, waiting 2 minutes, another 4 reps ain't going to get tour heart rate up.

You have been watching the guys in the free weight area of the fitness center where I work out haven't you? If you don't constantly watch them you will wonder what the heck they are doing at the gym. They walk around, stand around, write something on a clipboard, walk around, etc. I finally sat at a table in the café and watched without taking my eyes off one of them. He was doing exactly what you said but he was doing the reps very fast and jerky. I would guess ten seconds of lifting and three minutes of resting. I wonder if that was Nate?

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You have been watching the guys in the free weight area of the fitness center where I work out haven't you? If you don't constantly watch them you will wonder what the heck they are doing at the gym. They walk around, stand around, write something on a clipboard, walk around, etc. I finally sat at a table in the café and watched without taking my eyes off one of them. He was doing exactly what you said but he was doing the reps very fast and jerky. I would guess ten seconds of lifting and three minutes of resting. I wonder if that was Nate?

Yeah it's common in many gyms, the one I go to as well.

I actually do my free weight work at home as the free weight area of my gym is full of meat heads standing around hogging all the racks and weights.  Im not trying to get yoked so i can do what i need to at home with dumbells.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I don't know, but there was a recent study showing that weight training helped with staving off dementia, seemed a surprising outcome to me, but there you go.