Do you use a grocery delivery service?

Kirby

There was an article in USA Today about the boom in grocery delivery services, with Amazon and Walmart both making a big push.  I know Peapod delivers in my area since I've seen their trucks around a lot.   I imagine they'd be helpful if I were homebound for some reason and couldn't get out, but I'm not sure I'd trust them picking out my fruits and vegetables.  And if I need to go to the store for those items, I may as well pick up everything and not have to wait around for a delivery service.  I can also understand why they'd be popular in places like NYC where you may not be able to take your car to the grocery store, but that's a unique market.

So have you used a grocery delivery service and if not, do you think you'd like to in the future?  Maybe I'm just out of touch (but then I've never gone grocery shopping with a bunch of young kids either, so maybe that would be a factor).

We do not do the delivery version, but we do order online and then pick up at the store.  They bring the order to your car and load it.  Very convenient.  One time, the store did not have our order ready, so they told us when they got it ready, they would Uber it to us.  I did not like this option as much, as I felt more obligated to tip.

I always tip the loader at the store a few bucks, the wife, not so much.  I think she told me that you are not supposed to tip. 

Even though it doesn't really take a lot of time, I would consider it in the future.

Back in the day, I'd go shopping once a week, every Sunday night. Then I started going every two weeks.

Before the move to FL, I was living 0.5 miles from the grocery store, and on the way to/from work. I'd *frequently* drop in and pick up something for dinner that night based on what I felt like eating, or to get some fresh fruit.

In FL, I'm 4 miles away. Certainly not a huge distance, but enough of a difference to put a big dent into the convenient drop-by.

As I get older, I find myself wanting to spend less and less time on "the maintenance of daily living", so I might. Plus, as I'm not a browser but, instead, typically buy much the same thing, it'd probably work well for me.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I don't.  I do the meal planning and often times I need to walk the isles for inspiration.  My wife will sometimes shop without me and it's hard for me to come up with meal ideas from home.

My wife will get the cook book out and then use it as a guide to ordering.  She orders the exact size or amount of an ingredient when possible.  Says it cuts down on waste.  I would agree with her.  Now I just need to do a better job of bringing left overs for lunch.

I prefer to pick out my produce and meats, and while I'm there I might as well do it all.  It takes me about an hour, once a week, so I don't feel I'd be saving much by having someone else do it.  When someone else is involved, there's often a lot of waiting around trying to meet up, so a lot of the time savings might get used up by having to be home at a certain time (and then they don't show up, or are late, etc.)

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

Even though it doesn't really take a lot of time, I would consider it in the future.

Back in the day, I'd go shopping once a week, every Sunday night. Then I started going every two weeks.

Before the move to FL, I was living 0.5 miles from the grocery store, and on the way to/from work. I'd *frequently* drop in and pick up something for dinner that night based on what I felt like eating, or to get some fresh fruit.

In FL, I'm 4 miles away. Certainly not a huge distance, but enough of a difference to put a big dent into the convenient drop-by.

As I get older, I find myself wanting to spend less and less time on "the maintenance of daily living", so I might. Plus, as I'm not a browser but, instead, typically buy much the same thing, it'd probably work well for me.

What part of the Finger Lakes do you live in?  I used to live in Hammondsport. God’s country. 

Haven’t used any grocery delivery services. 

• Haha 2

Do you use a grocery delivery service?

Nope.  I started to do my own shopping in the last year.  Had barely been in a grocery store since college.  Previously had my "domestic assistant" doing it.  But she retired and I didn't feel a need to replace her.  So I am more domesticated all the time.

There are grocery delivery services in my area and if I was unretired and still teaching high school classes from 7 am to 2 pm then coaching varsity sports  from 2:30 pm to between 5:30 pm and 10 pm, I might utilize one now.

But since there are items that, in almost any case I want to inspect before buying, I think most of my shopping will involve visiting a brick-and-mortar supermarket, discount store, or roadside stand.

Those I always inspect include meat, fish, veggies, fruits and breads. I also take a tour through the meat section - even when I don't intend to buy meat - to look for sell-by-date sales or surprise sales I can freeze.

I do buy some food items online like Peet's Coffee (they just had 5% off for St. Patrick's day), where I can't find superb items like Arabian Mocha-Java Blend coffee locally and it's roasted within a week of when I get it.

Hy Vee offers the service, here. We have not used it simply because they and another grocery are on the way home for us. Besides, shopping for the 2 of us doesn't take that long. 

Sometimes we are like ChrisL in that we walk the aisles looking for inspiration. 

Fresh Thyme just opened on the same plaza as Planet Fitness. They are a small chain of "organic" and "locally grown" groceries. I don't get all wrapped up in that part, but their produce and meat have been very good and fairly priced. The coffee beans I have tried have been very good. No delivery, but very convenient otherwise. 

We don't, but tons of people do at our LGS.  They just had construction and I was hoping for a nice cafe or something, but noooo, it was to expand the Shop at Home area.  It seems to have abated a tad lately, but usually there are more store employees shopping than us civilians.  They usually have totally packed carts, too!

18 hours ago, BuffJim said:

What part of the Finger Lakes do you live in?  I used to live in Hammondsport. God’s country. 

Haven’t used any grocery delivery services. 

Hehe...FL as in Floriday. :P

I was born and raised in Buffalo, though...Cheektowaga to be more precise.

10 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Oh the other FL. Cheektovegas. Awesome. I grew up in Williamsville WEHS class of 81. 

Went to Bishop Neumann, class of '77. Then went to SUNY/Buffalo, class of '81.

Given our slight age difference, I probably never bumped in to you at Brunner's. ;)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Not at this time. We don't always grocery shop from 1 store.  Cycling or walking gives us nice exercise. I also believe at retirement it gets people out of home. However when we can do neither, grocery delivery could be an option.

In each of the 2 cities where we are, we live within a 15 min. walk of 2 different major grocery chain stores.  We don't mind browsing with some specific things in mind. I rarely look advertisements in advance...I do choose specials plus necessities. So in-person inspiration changes up meals without me nor him, meal planning in advance.  Just need to choose right time...ie. early in morning or middle of work day afternoon (if one has vacation or retired) to avoid super long line-ups.

Then we like to go to the market in spring to whenever it's not super lousy weather outside that impedes bringing groceries home.  

On 3/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, bikeman564™ said:

no but I should, I hate going

You should come to my Trader Joe's then; everyone knows me so it's high 5s everyday. I walk down the aisles and team members throw me the items I'm there for; yes I am predictable but in this case that's not a bad thing. I get to take more than just one sample too. What's not to like?

;)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, roadiejorge said:

You should come to my Trader Joe's then; everyone knows me so it's high 5s everyday. I walk down the aisles and team members throw me the items I'm there for; yes I am predictable but in this case that's not a bad thing. I get to take more than just one sample too. What's not to like?

;)

I wish I had a Joes by me.  I grocery shop at a small mom & pop (if you will) place. Not many people when I'm there, so it's very nice.

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I wish I had a Joes by me.  I grocery shop at a small mom & pop (if you will) place. Not many people when I'm there, so it's very nice.

We love our TJs :)  They do everything right except their parking lot.

Within walking distance we have Harris Teeter, Trader Joes, 2 CVS, Whole Foods, and Target (with a Balducci's arriving soon).  If we get on our bikes, we add Giant, Safeway, MOMs, and soon a Wegmans (in addition to Walgreens and other drug stores). I think the K-Mart next to the MOMs finally closed, and I am not adding in the various "international" type groceries/mom & pops.  We also get a few farmer's markets on an assortment of different days of the week - mainly the Sat Lake Anne one opening for the season soon (April?).

All would be very nearly right off the various bike trails or bike trail to quiet back streets.

Tom

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We love our TJs :)  They do everything right except their parking lot.

Within walking distance we have Harris Teeter, Trader Joes, 2 CVS, Whole Foods, and Target (with a Balducci's arriving soon).  If we get on our bikes, we add Giant, Safeway, MOMs, and soon a Wegmans (in addition to Walgreens and other drug stores). I think the K-Mart next to the MOMs finally closed, and I am not adding in the various "international" type groceries/mom & pops.  We also get a few farmer's markets on an assortment of different days of the week - mainly the Sat Lake Anne one opening for the season soon (April?).

All would be very nearly right off the various bike trails or bike trail to quiet back streets.

Tom

Nice, I like riding my bike to various establishments like the hardware store, or to get a haircut and to a couple restaurants that I frequent which are a mile from me. My fat bike doubles as my grocery getter sometimes :D when I need only a few things, the aforementioned store is 1½ miles from me.  With platform pedals and big cushy taars, it works well for errands IMO. World of Beer & BW3 are 3½ miles away :whistle:

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice, I like riding my bike to various establishments like the hardware store, or to get a haircut and to a couple restaurants that I frequent which are a mile from me. My fat bike doubles as my grocery getter sometimes :D when I need only a few things, the aforementioned store is 1½ miles from me.  With platform pedals and big cushy taars, it works well for errands IMO. World of Beer & BW3 are 3½ miles away :whistle:

We have a "renamed" WOB a short walk away (now named Crafthouse), and we just got a Total Wine next to the Whole Foods & CVS. TW carries a nice selection of beer.

Tom

• Heart 1

Glad I retired before that really kicked in with USPS. I delivered a few Amazon big boxes here and there, but heard after retiring that they were having the carriers go out on a special morning trip first thing to do the groceries. Haven't used it ourselves, though.