How much filter do you have/use?

Longjohn

That seems to be a word that is used more than ever in talking about people saying what comes into their head or keeping their thoughts to themselves and moving on. I think I am getting better at moving on. I have had some pretty funny (in my head) responses to some of the posts lately both here and on social media. I have tried to show restraint if I feel the original poster might not take it well. If I feel I know someone well enough to make a remark I still might. 

I'm much better in my 60's than I was 20 years ago and spoke without thinking, like when I said to a 50 year-old biology teacher/cheerleader coach who taught in a classroom near my chemistry lab, "Wow Carol! You couldn't look younger if you had a facelift."

Of course, she had just had one!

Now, it seems the "filter" kicks in faster.  For example, I wanted to brag on the phone to an out-of-state cousin -as I had to others- about how smart our family's 9 year-old is, doing very well in school - especially math, asking about stock investments, being the banker in Monopoly since he was 5, playing baseball year-round on his league's traveling all-star team, and I had recently taught him to play chess. Then I remembered her grandson had died of a sudden heart failure a few years ago, at about the same age. The parents of the boy are still seriously grieving, are angry at God, etc. and should seek help. What I was about to say about how much joy our Adam brings to us might have been grievous to her, the grandmother, in terms of what her family no longer can have. So I just told her, when she asked, that he was doing well in school and playing baseball.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Some of my responses that get filtered out are just my brain trying to make a joke out of a comment. When people are all commenting on how many thousands of miles they rode this month and someone posts “I have no idea how many miles I ride, I don’t track my rides or use a bike computer. I just ride for the joy of riding”. I want to comment: “ Yes, I don’t ride much either”. Along the same line as: I’m not into racing or competition, I’m just into it for the joy of riding” My response I didn’t make: “I’m not very fast either”. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The cabin filter on my Element was well used. The car was 13 years old when I traded it in and I didn’t even realize it had one. It’s a wonder the heater still blew any air.

Cabin filters are overrated.  I think lots of us have owned cars with cabin filters without knowing it.  You get a new are and the first thing you do is look for reference to cabin filter in the owner's manual....... not.

• Awesome 1

57 minutes ago, 12string said:

My filter works just fine, my problem is my elocution of the thoughts that pass through my filter.

Yeah, that can be a challenge. How do tell someone to go to hell, while making them look forward to the trip...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I had a coworker we referred to as Petty Officer O'Connor. She never served in the US Navy.

Had she been in the navy she might have been chief of the boat?  An awesome thing when angry and not to be trifled with.  A master of elocution of the sharp variety, acidic even.

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Some of my responses that get filtered out are just my brain trying to make a joke out of a comment. When people are all commenting on how many thousands of miles they rode this month and someone posts “I have no idea how many miles I ride, I don’t track my rides or use a bike computer. I just ride for the joy of riding”. I want to comment: “ Yes, I don’t ride much either”. Along the same line as: I’m not into racing or competition, I’m just into it for the joy of riding” My response I didn’t make: “I’m not very fast either”. 

Probably some are being totally honest with those statements and are just joining into the conversation, so you probably did the right thing using your filter.:whistle:

• Awesome 1

Pretty good filter when posting. There's been more than one time that I started a reply and just deleted it or rewrote it. A while back I sent a message to a forum member before posting something to get that person's OK. There was a chance that it could have been upsetting. 

However when speaking, there's been many times when words escaped my mouth before I knew what I was saying. 

• Heart 1

Know your audience.  

If you are talking to a bunch of tree-hugging, lefty hippies it is probably best not to come off like Nate.  If you are talking to a bunch of Right wing conspiracy theory wack jobs, probably best not to come off like some snowflake, pinko commie.  Unless of course you enjoy getting lefty commies or RWNJ all worked up.  Then proceed.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Know your audience.  

If you are talking to a bunch of tree-hugging, lefty hippies it is probably best not to come off like Nate.  If you are talking to a bunch of Right wing conspiracy theory wack jobs, probably best not to come off like some snowflake, pinko commie.  Unless of course you enjoy getting lefty commies or RWNJ all worked up.  Then proceed.  

I like trees.

• Haha 1