OK with the TRU thead and the discussion of B&M

Kzoo

Just out of curiosity, does "does not exist" mean the book is LITERALLY not written and there is simply that cover image OR does it mean that there is currently no physical manifestation of the book - ie it has been written, but it is not in a physical (printed book) form currently?

I ask because don't self-published people hire a service to print individual copies of their books as readers buy them? So ordering from the PZ link would "trigger" a one-off printing of a REAL and physical version of that book (for $17 plus s/h)?????

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Just out of curiosity, does "does not exist" mean the book is LITERALLY not written and there is simply that cover image OR does it mean that there is currently no physical manifestation of the book - ie it has been written, but it is not in a physical (printed book) form currently?

I ask because don't self-published people hire a service to print individual copies of their books as readers buy them? So ordering from the PZ link would "trigger" a one-off printing of a REAL and physical version of that book (for $17 plus s/h)?????

Tom

The author did not write the book. The publisher did not publish the book. The contract was cancelled.

55 minutes ago, dennis said:

The book was not printed. It might be self-published at some point.

These are fishing scams. Just like email fishing scams. The difference is amazon is aware of it and they choose to do nothing about it. People are using their site for a fishing scam. It's probably not a big deal, but it exists. People get bitten and forget they made a purchase. It happens. 

Maxx-forget the price, really, it does not matter if it were $20. You are missing the point.

Amazon does most things very well, that's why they are successful. I don't use them. They won't miss my business as I'm not much of a consumer. About the only things I've purchased this year other than food is ski equipment. I can do better shopping locally than on amazon. Groceries I buy locally. There are two stores within two blocks of my place. I walk. I avoid packaged items and I'd rather not buy produce online. 

Here is an example of a tax break they received that I find kind of silly. I think the officials allowing this to happen are not serving their constituents well. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-26/amazon-is-getting-a-good-deal-in-ohio-maybe-too-good

I'll disagree as well.  I'm not really missing the point.  I simply think it's a very small problem

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What is the tax problem.  Amazon charges me sales tax.  I assume that they pay property tax on the site they use for one day pick ups in a nearby town.  Could somebody clear the tax problem up for me?

Amazon only collects sales tax for itself (ie Amazon is the seller), and maybe third party vendors who opt in somehow (extra cost going to Amazon??).

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Amazon only collects sales tax for itself (ie Amazon is the seller), and maybe third party vendors who opt in somehow (extra cost going to Amazon??).

Tom

And when you file your state income taxes you report the rest right?  Here in CT it's the line named "use tax".

Just now, maddmaxx said:

And when you file your state income taxes you report the rest right?

See, you are making everyone's life more difficult!  Amazon should be doing this for us!

But <wink> <wink> <nod> <nod> I am sure WE ALL report these non-taxed purchases on our taxes.

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

See, you are making everyone's life more difficult!  Amazon should be doing this for us!

But <wink> <wink> <nod> <nod> I am sure WE ALL report these non-taxed purchases on our taxes.

Tom

I should hope so.

Just so you know:

Do I have to pay state sales taxes for goods I purchased overseas and brought back to the U.S.?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not have control over your state's tax requirements.

States that require taxes to be paid on goods brought in from overseas periodically audit CBP declarations to identify residents who entered the state from abroad with new items. The state then sends a bill to those residents requiring them to pay sales / usage taxes. For additional information, you should consult with your state government.

Sales tax is a state by state thing.  For those states that have a sales tax, it is typical that only companies that have a physical location inside the state collect sales tax on items picked up locally or shipped to an in-state location.  There is a reason for that.  Typically, a state only has jurisdiction within it's own borders - except for some mutual cooperation agreement between states.  I ship things out of state and am not authorized by the destination state to collect that tax - can't do it - have no means to process the tax.  For those states we ship to more regularly we have filed and are known as a foreign corporation there and have a sales tax license (Illinois and Texas)  I am also not authorized to collect the tax for Michigan on those out of state shipment because it was not Michigan business. 

Amazon argued that they had no authorization to collect tax for a state outside their location and they were correct.  A couple years ago states started to change those laws, specific to internet companies.  Amazon did not write the individual tax codes and it was in their best interest to not have them changed.

As for local property tax exemptions, they will do what is in the best interest of the company and their shareholders and associates.  If a local/state government grants them a tax break and provides other incentives, don't blame Amazon for that.   

• Awesome 1