Just received my passport

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Out of interest and for comparison sake, how much does your passport cost?

Renewals are less than new ones, but I still think over $100 these days.  Always smart to renew as soon as possible, so you aren't in that grey zone nor needing to expedite. The "execution fee" is also going up by $10 in April.

Passport.thumb.JPG.2390172b0828de8138024e591c1b52f3.JPG

Tom

My GOES card has a terrible pic and it just got renewed for another 5 years with the same picture.  I almost want someone to refuse the card saying it looks nothing like me, but they all look at the horrid pic, look at me and proceed.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I got both a card and a book this year when I renewed. There are rumors that the PA drivers licenses soon won't meet TSA standards for air travel, and it's handy to keep the card in my wallet for the summer for spontaneous trips to Toronto. Seemed like a worthwhile expense.

It's a shame PA (and many others) think this is not a good thing to "fix" for their residents. Your are safe, though, through until 2020.

RealIDCompliant.thumb.JPG.a4d1d3ac939784b9e858f2b33c87f6c9.JPG

Tom

15 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I got both a card and a book this year when I renewed. There are rumors that the PA drivers licenses soon won't meet TSA standards for air travel, and it's handy to keep the card in my wallet for the summer for spontaneous trips to Toronto. Seemed like a worthwhile expense.

We have the enhanced drivers license we use for going to Canada but we also have regular passports for “ real” international travel. 

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I'm safe through 2028 with my handy passport card, TYVM. By then, whereever I am living will have solved that little glitch. 

Yeah, my passport is good through 2026, but what drives me nuts is that for VA, I JUST got my license renewed for 10 years (on-line five minute process), but, for VA:

The new Real ID cards will be rolled out in October 2018, at a cost of about $20.7 million. The new license will be marked with a star in the upper-right corner, which indicates that it’s in compliance with the Real ID Act.

Virginia officials said they will not require everyone who has a license to get the new card, but they anticipate as many as 2.7 million license holders will request it. Virginians who want to use a driver’s license to board a commercial aircraft will need to get the new card by October 2020.

The Real ID card will have a one-time $10 fee that will help pay for implementation. To get one, current license holders will be required to present two proofs of residency instead of one, and will have to present their Social Security card instead of just providing the number. The process will require an in-person visit to a DMV office, which could lead to longer-than-usual waits, because many people are used to renewing their licenses by mail or online.

So, realistically, my renewed DL is only good for 3 years (or as long as I am willing to bring my passport with me to travel). I have other "acceptable" IDs I can use as well, so I'll be good, but it is still nonsense.

Tom

51 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

yes by vehicle or boat..all I needed. I never had to use it present it though. No one on the water ever stopped us.

I think it depends on where the ship is registered and where you stay.  I took my kids to Bermuda a few years ago.  The ship was registered in Florida, we slept on the ship, no passports were needed.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I think it depends on where the ship is registered and where you stay.  I took my kids to Bermuda a few years ago.  The ship was registered in Florida, we slept on the ship, no passports were needed.

Didn't you need your ship "pass card" to get in and out of the immigration hut? I think they (Bermuda) work with the cruise lines to have them backed up by a passport? Or did your kids NOT need a passport at all?

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Didn't you need your ship "pass card" to get in and out of the immigration hut? I think they (Bermuda) work with the cruise lines to have them backed up by a passport? Or did your kids NOT need a passport at all?

Tom

Bizarrely, none of us needed a passport.  There was a catch.  We needed to leave with the boat, so if one of us got injured and needed to stay in a hospital there, and the boat left, it would be a nightmare getting home.  I took my chances and saved the money on passports.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Personal boat, not ship. The stoopid US required having it, but we rarely seen a USCG boat patrolling about...or aboot ;)  It's a 6 mile trip. We went there for dinner.

image.thumb.png.ee6d178e70e617de78877205dfdb9801.png

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, my passport is good through 2026, but what drives me nuts is that for VA, I JUST got my license renewed for 10 years (on-line five minute process), but, for VA:

So, realistically, my renewed DL is only good for 3 years (or as long as I am willing to bring my passport with me to travel). I have other "acceptable" IDs I can use as well, so I'll be good, but it is still nonsense.

Tom

...why do you think they call it the "Old" Dominion ?

2 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

I'd always heard stories about how few people had passports...like 10%.

Just looked. It's more like 40%.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/passport-statistics.html

It's a pain to travel now.  People in the US used to be able to go to Canada or Mexico with just a birth certificate, or drivers license.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It’s just another money grab they came up with. Screw their fancy smancy drivers licenses, I’ll just use my passport thank you.

...here in California, my new and improved California D/L keeps me safe from the people who would harm democracy. That's what they told me.:)

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was surprised they accepted our pictures.  They came out a little dark.  We took them ourselves.  It saved us a bunch of cash to take them ourselves.

The P.O. who will assist with the application will also do photos for a few (4 I think) quid here. This process also guarantees no fubar with the application.

19 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was surprised they accepted our pictures.  They came out a little dark.  We took them ourselves.  It saved us a bunch of cash to take them ourselves.

Walgreens will take them for a few schekels. When I had mine done they retook several times. The US Government is very particlar about how they look. No smiling, no glasses, hair is coiffed, look up but not too far up, etc

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

Walgreens will take them for a few schekels. When I had mine done they retook several times. The US Government is very particlar about how they look. No smiling, no glasses, hair is coiffed, look up but not too far up, etc

I heard that, and it made me nervous that they would kick them back.  Nope.  So, I get this passport, and the pic is dark and not so great.  Kinda funny.  Maybe dumb luck on my part.  The person processing may have been a newbie.  HAHA

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Is this your passport picture? 888799524-343315.jpg.6550f1aea9ab25b2b1a544c7f824e367.jpg.4bc831e3c671a3f75aa6bcc4c76c8388.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Is this your passport picture? 888799524-343315.jpg.6550f1aea9ab25b2b1a544c7f824e367.jpg.4bc831e3c671a3f75aa6bcc4c76c8388.jpg

that was the first picture. Perfectly coiffed head of hair. But I'm looking up. Retake here

image.jpeg.39422e9d646b083fb8c90d3811e48778.jpegbut Rejected. Not looking straight forward & no hats

Then tried again

Image result for Fred G Sanford  Sorry. No commercial advertising & no chest hair

Finally got one to take. Technically a violation but got approved on a little known subsection called the "Martha I'm coming home clause"

Image result for Fred G Sanford

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It's a pain to travel now.  People in the US used to be able to go to Canada or Mexico with just a birth certificate, or drivers license.

I think I would rather tote a kid's passport with me rather than a birth certificate.

Tom

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It’s just another money grab they came up with. Screw their fancy smancy drivers licenses, I’ll just use my passport thank you.

Yep, your state is just trying to rip you off! Luckily, the Feds are willing to give you a passport for just 5x the cost of a driver's license (that you have to have anyway).

Winning!

Tom

44 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

15 bucks, I had the PO do mine, zero risk of it getting declined that way.  I couldn't risk not getting them in time, spent almost 5 grand on plane tickets last summer, 15 seemed cheap.

I didn't even realize there was any other option and didn't know they charged for the picture. They were running everyone through taking pictures and then told us how much we owed total.

37 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

15 bucks, I had the PO do mine, zero risk of it getting declined that way.  I couldn't risk not getting them in time, spent almost 5 grand on plane tickets last summer, 15 seemed cheap.

We paid next to nothing to get our photos.  It was a gamble, and it worked out swimmingly.  

There isn't an easy way to get passport photos in our town for cheap.  We had plenty of time, so I wasn't concerned too much about time frame. 

• Envious 1