Making phone apps?

donkpow

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Making phone apps instead of paying for them. I understand it is easy. Maybe not easy for me but maybe for some other people.

https://developer.android.com/guide/index.html

I'm betting you could make a "Hello World" app for an Android.

I'm also willing to bet that would be about it.

Tom

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Have you ever done this? I'm thinking about making one for myself so I can avoid the ads. Android has a development program for the creation of apps.

I've done some cursory reading on it and wouldn't be surprised if I dabbled in it in retirement.

Years back I developed a program for financial management that sold ~50,000 copies worldwide, and I've done a fair amount of coding for work (while not being a 'coder'). About 8, 9 years ago I started down the path of going on the QuickBooks Independent Developer Program and was about 75% done on my first project/program before I got sidetracked into a gig which became a part-time job, so didn't finish it. 

So I've got the interest and some relevant background. Really enjoy doing it, and think the platform would be fun/cool.

My problem tends to be coming up with ideas.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, LabDaddy said:

I've done some cursory reading on it and wouldn't be surprised if I dabbled in it in retirement.

Years back I developed a program for financial management that sold ~50,000 copies worldwide, and I've done a fair amount of coding for work (while not being a 'coder'). About 8, 9 years ago I started down the path of going on the QuickBooks Independent Developer Program and was about 75% done on my first project/program before I got sidetracked into a gig which became a part-time job, so didn't finish it. 

So I've got the interest and some relevant background. Really enjoy doing it, and think the platform would be fun/cool.

My problem tends to be coming up with ideas.

You could just steal Donk's idea.  It's not a very good one but hey, it's free.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'm feeling a lot like jsharr, this is likely more trouble than it's worth for me. A paid app is only like $2. It will likely take me the biggest part of a year to learn to do this thing. Am I too lazy?

Nope, not if you're not truly interested.

$2 is throwaway.

Me? I enjoy it. An outlet for me to be creative and develops critical thinking skills. 

But not for everyone. No big deal.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Let's say you make a good app. It gets downloaded 1 million times. 10,000 actually buy the paid version for $2. That leaves 990,000 installations that run ads. I don't what kind of money you make off of ads but the paid version will give you $20,000.

So, pretend you make nothing off of the ads, and you can make 1 app a month.  That would be a lot of money each each, like a million dollars or something.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

So, pretend you make nothing off of the ads, and you can make 1 app a month.  That would be a lot of money each each, like a million dollars or something.

Right, that's the dream. At this point, the field of competitors is huge. I was just looking for a volume control app and I would still be looking through the list if I hadn't got distracted.

Just now, donkpow said:

Right, that's the dream. At this point, the field of competitors is huge. I was just looking for a volume control app and I would still be looking through the list if I hadn't got distracted.

I bet there is less competition on the BlackBerry market, I'd invest my time there.  Then tackle the Microsoft Phone market.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I bet there is less competition on the BlackBerry market, I'd invest my time there.  Then tackle the Microsoft Phone market.

I know a Nigerian prince that can run a scam email campaign for you for a fee.  Sounds easier to pay someone else.....