Turbo Tax Tease

12string

started my taxes last night.  I always wait, since I generally owe a couple thousand.

Imported W-2's, 1099s, and Quicken info.

Turbo tax says $976 refund!

I did make some year end tax friendly manuevers, but I also lost a child credit, can't imagine this is right?  They're just trying to make me all excited so I come back and finsh the job, then they can say I owe a couple thousand.

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

started my taxes last night.  I always wait, since I generally owe a couple thousand.

I did make some year end tax friendly manuevers, but I also lost a child credit, can't imagine this is right?  They're just trying to make me all excited so I come back and finsh the job, then they can say I owe a couple thousand.

HA!

Mine is always red in the very large and scary numbers. Then, I proceed to hack that number down to an amount I can swallow.  

Tom

I started mine on turdo tax as well last night. Started out showing $1,000 refund, by the end of the night it had reversed to show I owe $1,000. I might as well let it sit for awhile now. I think the biggest change is our asswhipe govener hacked my social security this year.

5 hours ago, 12string said:

...the standard deduction is up this year.  That might be the reason. Still, a $3,0o0  difference is unusual, and I'd look for errors or omissions.

That used to be well within the bounds of what would kick out your return for review, if not an audit.  They seem to be happier with everything steady on from year to year.

When you do file, if you file electronically ( and why wouldn't you?) they have some interesting hoops to jump through in order to prove you're you.

11 hours ago, LabDaddy said:

Florida...no state taxes. Music to my ears. :cheerleader:

How does that work for Florida to cover costs of state infrastructure, social services?   I was aware some states are like that.

In all Canadian provinces and territories, one does have to pay provincial tax plus federal tax. It's all filed in 1 sweep.  

Hard to understand people who want govn't services to build highways, affordable housing, emergency aid, medical,  education etc. yet don't want to fund services. I've worked for 3 jurisdictions:  Ontario (provincial govn't), B.C. (legal aid) and municipality where I am.  I"ve also worked in private sector..then see huge bonuses to certain people and extravagant parties, especially for big firms.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

How does that work for Florida to cover costs of state infrastructure, social services?   I was aware some states are like that.

In all Canadian provinces and territories, one does have to pay provincial tax plus federal tax. It's all filed in 1 sweep.  

Hard to understand people who want govn't services to build highways, affordable housing, emergency aid, medical,  education etc. yet don't want to fund services. I've worked for 3 jurisdictions:  Ontario (provincial govn't), B.C. (legal aid) and municipality where I am.  I"ve also worked in private sector..then see huge bonuses to certain people and extravagant parties, especially for big firms.

About two-thirds of FL's state revenue comes from their sales tax. Due to the high tourist volume (including snowbirds), they get a lot of state revenue from those living in other states or countries.

As I've stated in another thread, I'm all for funding services if they are truly providing good, valuable services. For example, I'm impressed with Sarasota county and am happy to pay to support them.