Healthiest Counties List

Razors Edge

...is out again.  Man, I'm starting to wonder why more folks don't live in NoVA or Colorado.

Rank    County
1  Falls Church city, Virginia
2  Douglas County, Colorado
3  Broomfield County, Colorado
4  Los Alamos County, New Mexico
5  Dukes County, Massachusetts
6  Fairfax city, Virginia
7  Hamilton County, Indiana
8  Routt County, Colorado
9  Ouray County, Colorado
10 Loudoun County, Virginia
11 Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
12 Delaware County, Ohio
13 Carver County, Minnesota
14 Sublette County, Wyoming
15 Washington County, Minnesota
16 Rockingham County, New Hampshire
17 Grand County, Colorado
18 Norfolk County, Massachusetts
19 Teton County, Wyoming
20 Howard County, Maryland
21 Fairfax County, Virginia
22 Winneshiek County, Iowa
23 Williamson County, Tennessee
24 Chaffee County, Colorado
25 Morgan County, Utah

Tom

* and, yes, they do have a methodology.

Woot, number 7.

Moving to number 270, but looking at the scoring, the particular area is really close to what we are leaving, but the county as a whole seems to be up and coming.  It's the border area with Indianapolis that's probably pulling the scores down.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Woot, number 7.

Moving to number 270, but looking at the scoring, the particular area is really close to what we are leaving, but the county as a whole seems to be up and coming.  It's the border area with Indianapolis that's probably pulling the scores down.

Add it to your real estate listing!!!!  That is $$$ in the bank! :D

Tom

• Envious 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Add it to your real estate listing!!!!  That is $$$ in the bank! :D

Tom

Town is constantly listed as one of the best places in the country to raise a family.  So around the area, it's already well known.

... basic problem with the methodology (I read it) is that a lot of it has very little to do with how healthy the population actually is in real life.

Your second, and even more basic problem, is that it's out of the U of Missouri and printed in US News and World Report.

Stuff like 

Population Health: 14.2 percent

• Health Behaviors
  • Health Conditions
  • Health Outcomes   and

Food & Nutrition: 8.8 percent

Food Availability

Nutrition

are commingled with vacuous categories like Community Vitality, Educational Achievement, and Infrastructure.

Which are then equally weighted.  This is the kind of study you do when you're interested in something other than "health."

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...is out again.  Man, I'm starting to wonder why more folks don't live in NoVA or Colorado.

Rank    County
1  Falls Church city, Virginia
2  Douglas County, Colorado
3  Broomfield County, Colorado
4  Los Alamos County, New Mexico
5  Dukes County, Massachusetts
6  Fairfax city, Virginia
7  Hamilton County, Indiana
8  Routt County, Colorado
9  Ouray County, Colorado
10 Loudoun County, Virginia
11 Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
12 Delaware County, Ohio
13 Carver County, Minnesota
14 Sublette County, Wyoming
15 Washington County, Minnesota
16 Rockingham County, New Hampshire
17 Grand County, Colorado
18 Norfolk County, Massachusetts
19 Teton County, Wyoming
20 Howard County, Maryland
21 Fairfax County, Virginia
22 Winneshiek County, Iowa
23 Williamson County, Tennessee
24 Chaffee County, Colorado
25 Morgan County, Utah

Tom

* and, yes, they do have a methodology.

I didn't read the methodology but it seems NOVA has stacked the deck with 2 cities when the list reads "County".  Fairfax and Falls Church are part of Fairfax county right?

This has to do the with overall "health" of the county, based on a wide criteria not the 'physical health' of the citizens there of. I feel the title is a bit misleading as health is generally an indicator of wellness.

Any way, my county is 68 on the list. Surprising.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This has to the with overall "health" of the county, based on a wide criteria not the 'physical health' of the citizens there of. I feel the title is a bit misleading as health is generally an indicator of wellness.

Again haven't read the list but Fairfax and Louden Counties in VA are where most of the military folks live and stay after they seperate out due to all of the Govt jobs. 

It's very common to see folks running, riding, working out etc in that area as it seems most are active or former military. By and large a big percentage of people in Northern VA are healthy.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Again haven't read the list but Fairfax and Louden Counties in VA are where most of the military folks live and stay after they seperate out due to all of the Govt jobs. 

It's very common to see folks running, riding, working out etc in that area as it seems most are active or former military. By and large a big percentage of people in Northern VA are healthy.

The study has to do with income, education, economy, housing, etc.  It is not based on how active physically the people are.  Title is misleading if you think of this a ranking of physical fitness.

image.png.aaf108de4821b92730ecbad7c8013220.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I'm sure my county is hovering somewhere near the bottom of the list. We're a popular retirement destination--people come here to die. Sun City (the next town over from me) is known as God's waiting room...

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/arizona/maricopa-county

59 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I didn't read the methodology but it seems NOVA has stacked the deck with 2 cities when the list reads "County".  Fairfax and Falls Church are part of Fairfax county right?

It is actually "healthiest communities" where communities are counties and "county equivalents".  IMO Falls Church should be, for this sort of thing, either clumped with Fairfax or Arlington counties.  But it is "stand-alone". Likewise "Fairfax city" should be part of Fairfax County.  I also hate when DC is compared to states. Makes no sense.

Tom 

11 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I'm sure my county is hovering somewhere near the bottom of the list. We're a popular retirement destination--people come here to die. Sun City (the next town over from me) is known as God's waiting room...

Do YOUNG people go there to die, or do OLD people?  If you are old enough to choose a place to retire and die, you actually are probably statistically pretty "good" in this sort of survey.

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Do YOUNG people go there to die, or do OLD people?  If you are old enough to choose a place to retire and die, you actually are probably statistically pretty "good" in this sort of survey.

Tom

A lot of old people come here to die. The young ones that bite the dust here are usually on meth.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

This has to do the with overall "health" of the county, based on a wide criteria not the 'physical health' of the citizens there of. I feel the title is a bit misleading as health is generally an indicator of wellness.

...my guess is you got extra points for the Richardson Bike Mart.

• Haha 1

The top 3 NJ counties on the list are Morris, Hunterdon and Somerset.

The top 3 NJ counties in terms of per capita income are Hunterdon, Morris and Somerset.

To eat healthy is expensive.  To have spare time in which to exercise is a luxury.  I'm not sure if you have realized this, but to live in NoVA is also pretty spendy.

(my own county is not on the list.  Thanks, City of Trenton.)

• Heart 1

Interesting link. I copied for easier reference.  Now.....many of the countries in the top 15 rankings, have public health insurance/care system.  Don't know about Italy's system.  Iceland isn't suprising nor Singapore.

Honest, didn't expect Australia to be up in top 10. Must be the surfing and chasing after their strange animals.

image.png.d94788ef67953c6962bc8f400a5ded13.png

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Umm... Isn't this like bragging about being the smartest retard? :)

I've been told that is very insensitive and derogatory.

Even if I am proud of winning the title.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I've been told that is very insensitive and derogatory.

Even if I am proud of winning the title.

Of course it is.  That is me though.  But really, what good is it to be the healthiest neighbourhood of a ridiculously unhealthy nation? Being that socioeconomics has much to do with it in the US, It is just a convoluted way of saying "I am richer than you". 

Howard County, Maryland is a relatively low-density area with much higher than avg. incomes in the highest avg. income State in the USA. It's likely that there's a very-much higher than avg. %age of people with excellent health insurance, the avg. education level is high so a better diet is likely prevalent. So it's "healthier" only if you fit in with the avg. income and education of Howard County!

I was recruited to teach chemistry and physics and coach cross country in the Howard County School System and, with the high reputation of its high schools, I considered it but I probably would have retired without enough years at Howard to get retirement health insurance benefits from Howard, where I had it guaranteed with my then-current employer, the Anne Arundel County School System. So my teaching career started and finished in Anne Arundel (centered on Annapolis).

15 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Howard County, Maryland

My uncle lived in Columbia for many years... in fact he worked at Rouse and assisted with its development.

We like to look at maps of Columbia and make fun of the street names.  Would you want to tell someone you lived on "Barefoot Boy"..... or "Gay Topaz"..... or "Browsing Deer"..... or "Spelling Bee"?

On 3/28/2018 at 4:46 PM, TrentonMakes said:

My uncle lived in Columbia for many years... in fact he worked at Rouse and assisted with its development.

We like to look at maps of Columbia and make fun of the street names.  Would you want to tell someone you lived on "Barefoot Boy"..... or "Gay Topaz"..... or "Browsing Deer"..... or "Spelling Bee"?

I taught a teen in Honors (Gifted and Talented) Chemistry who was convinced life was a matter of sheer luck because of what happened to his father. His father was an awful insurance salesman and, to drive him to quit, he was assigned by his company to a low-population, rural area in Howard County.  A year or so later, the Rouse company decided to build a city there, Columbia. The boy's father's income went from next to nothing to well over 6-figures.

I told the teen that his father clearly had the skills to take advantage of the opportunity and that you never know when life will present you with a great opportunity and when it does, you need to have the skills to take advantage of it to make it work for you. So you should develop your skills to the max so you will be in a position to take advantage of opportunities.

He still just cruised through Chemistry, but those were that days (late '80's, early '90's) when schools were allowed to demand high standards and run classes for top students, not allowing those "left behind" by their lack of work to slow down the class.  So he still had to work hard.