Internet can ruin companies with lies

shootingstar

Wow.

For 2nd time, a jerk slammed at a company by claiming it was lousy, suspect because company mentioned Facebook. Now, we all know FB is in deep poop because of the massive data breach.

So company's stock plunged over the last 2 days  However this firm is doing well in business world-wide. 

It's shocking how little it takes for a liar to reduce the value of a company. :(  Or the opposite, how just a few cheers, vaults a stock.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wow.

For 2nd time, a jerk slammed at a company by claiming it was lousy, suspect because company mentioned Facebook. Now, we all know FB is in deep poop because of the massive data breach.

So company's stock plunged over the last 2 days  However this firm is doing well in business world-wide. 

It's shocking how little it takes for a liar to reduce the value of a company. :(  Or the opposite, how just a few cheers, vaults a stock.

Who are you talking about?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/26/andrew-left-shopify-will-plunge-if-facebook-takes-its-data-punch-bowl-away.html

Frankly he's creating a smoke screen.  Shopify is a Canadian e-commerce platform suited for big, medium and increasingly large firms worldwide.  One doesn't need Facebook at all to use it. Besides those who run businesses don't expect their customers to search for products (which Shopify provides the platform base) via FB.

20 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The internet givith and the internet taketh away.

It can be extremely useful and it can be full of crap, often all in the same day.

There's an interesting example going on in P&R where an op ed is competing with news.  We aren't sure which is correct. (at least I'm not)

The one with the prettier pictures is correct

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Wow.

Do you know, it was an anonymous post on CafePharma that toppled Valeant Pharmaceuticals?   The stock was trading over $300 and plummeted to $6. 

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Do you know, it was an anonymous post on CafePharma that toppled Valeant Pharmaceuticals?   The stock was trading over $300 and plummeted to $6. 

What was said about it?  Left wants to squeeze out his credibility. The reality is that a lot of small to med. sized businesses need e-commerce platform that is scaleable in price and platform complexity which doesn't kill their operating budget, yet complements sales transactions and accounting.  Their competitor is Salesforce..intended to be corporate huge sledgehammer. 

If you understood how a front-end e-commerce platform works and how it must dovetail into your business bank electronically, then your accounting software, then your tax prep. online software.. plus all this is backend metrics dashboard.

All of the major social media firms are in trouble. Some will survive possibly as regulated utilities. Rocky road ahead. But it’s tough to live without them. The biggest critics of Twitter and You Tube desperately want the platform just don’t want the discriminatory censorship going on. 

Based on the stocks I hold that have jumped up and down rapidly over hyped-information of little import, I'm not surprised. Both the G W Bush and the Obama Admin. fined brokerages and banks hundreds of millions for misleading investors about stocks and bonds, generally wrongly promoting them as great so that wealthy clients could sell high or wrong saying they were awful so they could buy low.  These companies included Merrill Lynch (fined $185,000,000 by Bush) and J.P. Morgan Chase.Personally, I'm a Graham-Buffett Value Investing disciple and pay little attention to hyped media reports unless they back it up with data that fits. Ben Graham, Warren Buffett's mentor and teacher, said you can't go by Mr. Market's emotions except to buy when he's wrongly down on a stock and vice-versa: you have to rely on the facts. My wise college research advisor, the late Dr. Victor Vitullo, used to say, "If you can't put a number on it, you don't know what you're talking about."

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Anytime I read "says short-seller ...", I pretty much assume it is a hit job. But, rumors & innuendo often work.

On the flipside, you sure seem to mention Shopify a lot which is sort of the opposite of short selling.  A bit of a "pump".

Tom

Don't know if Left even knows what the product does. I mean it seriously.

How do I know?  I sit beside my dearie who has set up Shopify for his son's business.  I can see what he can do with it,  off-the shelf reports, dashboarding and he's not even using to its fullest extent within the business price level they've chosen.  (Other issues related to unit pricing pre-ordering from a butcher shop which is dependent on weigh scale.  Don't get me started on lack of industry standards for digital output of weigh scales and lack of integration with other online systems )  CEO is bilingual..English and German....it's very ideal for global market penetration in deals in EU. So they set up a German office too....

Aside from above, I've had a window seat, close up what it takes to run a food business. His son is very lucky to have the business expertise of his father to do financial forecasting, contract reviews and negotiations which is what dearie did before he retired.  Work he did on a larger scale.