I'm a draggin today

Parr8hed

Perhaps if you hadn't spent the entire shift masturbating to organs in a chum-bucket, you wouldn't be so tired.  Where are the yoga pants, btw?

Actually, I would prefer not to see Par8 in yoga pants.

My man has been working night shift.  We are adjusting to this.  It's difficult, because it seems we are running in opposite directions.

Do you swap back and forth with your sleep schedule?  K has been doing that, so he can spend time with me.  Then, he switches back and works for 3 nights.  I want him working days, but I know that hospital work often means night shift.

My man has been working night shift.  We are adjusting to this.  It's difficult, because it seems we are running in opposite directions.

Do you swap back and forth with your sleep schedule?  K has been doing that, so he can spend time with me.  Then, he switches back and works for 3 nights.  I want him working days, but I know that hospital work often means night shift.

That's what all the nurses I know do that work nights.  I don't know how the handle constantly changing their schedules like that.

How does that make you feel?  Whenever I hear about this I always feel happy for the recipient, and sad for the donors loved ones.

Mixed emotions.  I spent quite a few years as an ER nurse so I feel that i am somewhat hardened against seeing people die.  Every now and then one gets to me, but for the most part it does not bother me.  Espiecially people that do it themselves.  I feel badly for the families and that is the reason I do the job.  It does me good to know that the families think that there is a bright spot to an otherwise dim outcome. 

Not really sure about the recipients.  Some of them I am very happy for, the ones that have organ failure for reasons out of their control.  Some I feel somewhat indifferent to because they caused their own organ failure and now we are just bailing them out. 

At the end of the day it is just a job to me.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I like it when I can help people, I really do but I am not all gushy about it.

It's hard.  I only take call 8 days a month.  So roughly two times a week.  I am not always up all night, just when I am managing a donor or seeing patients.  Many times I sleep all night.  I sleep a few hours in the am then stay up with the fam, then go back to sleep at night. 

When I worked nights in the ER the wife worked nights in the ICU.  We both just lived a true night life.  Up all night, sleep all day.  Every day, every night.  No kids then though.  Swinging back and forth is hard. 

• 6 years later...