Square Wheels Forum Katy Trail Adventure 2018

JerrySTL

Who else is going to join Petite and me in Missouri this June? I just checked and there's still openings for this 5-day ride.

https://mostateparks.com/2018ktride

It's the best supported ride that I've ever been on. The price is nice at under $500 including a bus ride and 2 meals a day. You can park at either St. Charles which is near St. Louis or the other side of the state in Clinton near Kansas City.

Sign-ups end on May 1st or when the ride is full at 350 riders -  whichever comes first.

The Katy Trail is the longest rails-to-trail in the USA. It's about 230 miles of hard packed limestone plus about 10 miles of shared roads. About two-thirds of the route follows the Missouri River where Lewis and Clark had their epic adventure.  While the first three days are very flat, the last two has hills; however being a RTT, the majority are less that 3% grade.

Hybrid, touring, or cyclocross bikes are about perfect for it. I would not recommend a road bike unless it had at least 700x28 tires. My touring bike has 700x32 tires and they work well with my 215 lbs.

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

We rode together from St. Charles, but didn't you also ride part of the Katy near Rocheport?

Yes we did. I had a short ride on the Katy at Boonville a year or two before that when I was passing through with the truck. Shoulda had a mountain bike for that one. My skinny tires didn't go well on the trail surface.

• Awesome 1

The Katy Trail is definitely on my ride bucket list. Once I'm done paying child support (and other expenses) later this year, I may just be able to finally afford a vacation where I can go somewhere and do some epic riding, rather than a stay-cation where I ride the same routes in my home town.

:)

• Awesome 1