Desert riding

dinneR

I'm usually not a big fan of the desert, but that would be a nifty change of pace. I don't really have spring fever yet, but I DO find myself aiming for the thawed, muddy sections of the snowmobile trail. So I'm thinking some dirt riding would be really good! 

P.S. Don't get worked up about me riding on muddy sections of the snowmobile trail; those sections are about 3-5' long and about 1' wide. Not tearing up anything.

The weather was great. Temps in the 70s, light winds. Miles and miles of trails for all skill levels. We saw a lot of families at the beginning of one trail. There were trails going every direction, all rollers, great riding for kiddos.

The cryptogenic soil was crazy to see.

A few more pics.

0329181449.jpg

0330181349b.jpg

0330181414a.jpg

0329181410a.jpg

0330181236a.jpg

0328181350a.jpg

0328181512a (1).jpg

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

3 hours ago, smudge said:

I'm usually not a big fan of the desert, but that would be a nifty change of pace. I don't really have spring fever yet, but I DO find myself aiming for the thawed, muddy sections of the snowmobile trail. So I'm thinking some dirt riding would be really good! 

P.S. Don't get worked up about me riding on muddy sections of the snowmobile trail; those sections are about 3-5' long and about 1' wide. Not tearing up anything.

Dennis already commented on the weather but the desert is beutiful this time of year with really moderate temps.

Looks like a cool trip!

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Were you through Moab during jeep days?  I was visiting the Arches National Park a few years ago and happened to be in Moab during Easter.  It was a very 'crowded' time to be in the area.

I did not make it to Moab. There is so much spring and fall riding in S. Utah, it's crazy. I would not enjoy the summer heat though. 

• Envious 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I've driven by here a few times, but never stopped.

I went right by it. Even stopped for gas in Cedar City. I had no idea. Southern UT is amazingly beautiful. Kind of a big playground. Five National Parks and lots of National Forest and BLM land. My girlfriend has spent a lot of time there climbing. 

I had the pleasure of buying beer in UT. What a f'd up scene that is. 

• Envious 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Is that going to be too hot by August?  We're looking to extend our Tahoe/Yosemite trip, I'd love to do some riding in Nevada or Utah.  That looks like my wife would have no trouble, far easier than the couple MTB excursions I've taken her on.

What about the mammoth area? There is the downhill park but also many flatter trails too. Except the elevation will kick your arse.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What about the mammoth area? There is the downhill park but also many flatter trails too. Except the elevation will kick your arse.

By then we will have hiked half dome, altitude adjustment will have been made.

Trying to talk her into some white water rafting near Sacramento, that doesn't seem to be going over well.

13 minutes ago, 12string said:

By then we will have hiked half dome, altitude adjustment will have been made.

Trying to talk her into some white water rafting near Sacramento, that doesn't seem to be going over well.

Well Mammoth is a reasonable trek from Yosemite (and scenic) and Mammoth has rental bikes so no need to pack them. 

Most of Nevada and Utah will be smoking hot but Mt Charelston outside of Vegas may be an option.  Never rode there tho so don't know the trails at all.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

I'd melt in Utah in the summer. Mt Charleston is pretty damn cool. Red Rocks too. I've climbed in Mt Charleston, but not biked. Beautiful area. I was amazed at how few people were there. 

Mammoth sounds promising. I'd look at that. Or Tahoe.

Red Rocks is really scenic, I've ridden the loop on my roadie and wished I'd brought my mtn bike instead.  But I wasn't about to recommend it in August.

I've been to Mammoth many times in August and the temps are really reasonable.