G raced in Indy this weekend

Parr8hed

1 minute ago, smudge said:

So cool for kids to be enjoying cycling like that!! And equally cool they have parents who support them. :)

Totally agree.  There is a couple in my bike club w/ a 15 yo son who races in crits and now on the velodrome. He's super fast...faster than I can sustain. I ride w/ all three of them too, great people they are :) A few weeks ago I watched him race at the velodrome.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Totally agree.  There is a couple in my bike club w/ a 15 yo son who races in crits and now on the velodrome. He's super fast...faster than I can sustain. I ride w/ all three of them too, great people they are :) A few weeks ago I watched him race at the velodrome.

There are some juniors that race in the 15-18 category that also race cat 3.  they are stupid fast.  It's crazy how good these kids are.  

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

11 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'm really happy the kid is having a good time. You know, this taste of success will last him a lifetime.

BTW, are those Rudy glasses? ;)

LOL!

Actually they are XX2i  it's a company owned by rudy.  They sent the team 8 pair of glasses if the kids would wear them in ride pics, tag and post about them. 

They never did this shit when I was young and riding.

• Heart 3
  • Envious 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

So did he finish ahead of the girl or not?

No.  He finished 4th on the road.  She looked like she was twice his size.  She had a Felt with dura ace and zipps.  She looked like she had been riding for a LONG time.  She finished 3rd overall.  1st female by about 7-8 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

No.  He finished 4th on the road.  She looked like she was twice his size.  She had a Felt with dura ace and zipps.  She looked like she had been riding for a LONG time.  She finished 3rd overall.  1st female by about 7-8 minutes. 

Probably lies about her age.

He looks all pro these days.  We need to get that boy a faster bike-- red will look nice with his kit.

Ps- @Parr8hed and others--- when I see him doing athletic stuff like this, I pause and remember it wasn't that many years ago he had open heart surgery.  The pictures of you on the hospital bed with him are a reminder of how serious it was.  Now look at him!!!  And he is a kind person too.

• Heart 2

56 minutes ago, Airehead said:

He looks all pro these days.  We need to get that boy a faster bike-- red will look nice with his kit.

Ps- @Parr8hed and others--- when I see him doing athletic stuff like this, I pause and remember it wasn't that many years ago he had open heart surgery.  The pictures of you on the hospital bed with him are a reminder of how serious it was.  Now look at him!!!  And he is a kind person too.

That bike is plenty fast.  It's full carbon.  It's his cross bike. 

What he needs are some faster wheels.  Those things weigh a ton.  I hope to get him some race wheels before cross.  Trying to see if I can't get him a sponsor of some sort to help with a wheelset.  I would have already bought him a few local wheels used at a great price but they are all rim brakes.  He is on discs.  there are just not enough used disc brake wheelsets out there right now. 

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

That bike is plenty fast.  It's full carbon.  It's his cross bike. 

What he needs are some faster wheels.  Those things weigh a ton.  I hope to get him some race wheels before cross.  Trying to see if I can't get him a sponsor of some sort to help with a wheelset.  I would have already bought him a few local wheels used at a great price but they are all rim brakes.  He is on discs.  there are just not enough used disc brake wheelsets out there right now. 

If only there was a wheel builder on here that would sponsor him....  I thought there was one RATTLE ing around here, but maybe I CAN not remember who  it was?

• Heart 3

53 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

@Rattlecan ???  I had forgotten about that!

Could you go the budget option and get some lighter rims, spokes & nipples and have them laced to his existing hubs by a local builder?  

I was wondering you you are addressing his fit as his body grows?  Fit is so hard to dial in for adults, I can't imagine working with kids who's bodies are still growing.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Could you go the budget option and get some lighter rims, spokes & nipples and have them laced to his existing hubs by a local builder?  

I was wondering you you are addressing his fit as his body grows?  Fit is so hard to dial in for adults, I can't imagine working with kids who's bodies are still growing.

Nah, stock hubs are shit. His bike is a 700cc wheel.  We can get race wheels and just move them to newer bikes as he grows.  I gotta get something in a clincher, something light enough for road, tough enough for Cross, disc brake ready and able to be converted to tubeless for Cx.  We will keep his existing wheelset for training and to use in the pit for cross or road races.  As he grows we will get him a proper road bike, maybe a TT bike as well.  But for now he is a 2 bike kid.  Cross and mountain.  Cross is just going to have to serve as road, cross, TT, gravel....  

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

@Rattlecan, hmm, I am having an idea.  Can you shoot me a private message so I can brainstorm with you.

@Parr8hed. why would he use the same wheel set for cross and for road?  Wouldn't it be two different wheel sets?

Unless your name is Sagan, Armstrong or Hincapie you can use one Wheelset for both disciplines. Most juniors that race have one. A very popular wheel is the HED ardennes or something like a Zipp 202 or 303. Some of the kids will race the deeper profiles like a 404 but remember, G only weighs right at 100 lbs. a strong crosswind will move him all over the road.