Pacific Rim

Chris...

I liked it. The characters of course were awful, except for the comic relief duo (Loved the scene where the people in the shelter started pushing the one guy away from them), but the action was top notch and the effects were seamless brilliance. I also felt like the scene with the girl's dream with the monster was fairly horrific and well done.

VERY few movies really put on a display like Pacific Rim did. In the Transformers movies, there was so much camera movement and 'glimpse' shots of the action that you don't see much at all, and the action is very short lived. In Pacific Rim however, the fights stay on camera for a good while, and there are not just one or two fights, but several times that, and they spend their time showing them, like bouts in a movie about boxing.

The detail level was just incredible. Little stuff like how when the monster tosses the Jaeger onto the dock works, and upon sliding to a stop it just lightly taps a capstan on the dock. The Sfx guys spent the time to put that in. There were also no blatant pan and scan camera stunts, where the CGI guys like to show off their stuff by making the viewer watch some sort of presentation of a setting, etc. They focused on just showing the story as written and just putting every detail they could into it. I'm not sure who that team is, but they should use them on every film with any special effects laden story in all future films made by every director on every planet in the universe.