April photos

dinneR

They're back. Saw yesterday and two very small chicks in the nest. Must have hatched within the week as can only occasionally see movement, and head doesn't extend above nest. Will come back next week when larger, and  hopefully will be times with one of the osprey returning with a fish in it's claw.

Taken from the 4th floor of a parking garage with nest across the street.

Osprey-1.jpg

Osprey-2.jpg

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

They're back. Saw yesterday and two very small chicks in the nest. Must have hatched within the week as can only occasionally see movement, and head doesn't extend above nest. Will come back next week when larger, and  hopefully will be times with one of the osprey returning with a fish in it's claw.

Taken from the 4th floor of a parking garage with nest across the street.

Osprey-1.jpg

Osprey-2.jpg

there are two Osprey hunting the lake I walk at. I don't think they are a pair as they are both there at the same time, and don't really hang together. I think they come here to hunt, and take the catch back to their nest. The lake is shallow and has a lot of fish, was recently stocked with trout. I would love to know where the nest's are.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Further said:

I'm hung up on these Osprey

osprey flying.JPG

That's a cool photo!

Locally, we have osprey nests on poles. Geese have been taking the nests before the osprey return. So the solution is the nests are tilted so the geese don't steel them and then the nest is lowered back to level for the osprey. Here's what I don't get: if the geese use the nest, lay eggs, and hatch goslings, how do they get them down to the ground before they can fly? The nests are on telephone poles, 40-50' high. 

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Further said:

there are two Osprey hunting the lake I walk at. I don't think they are a pair as they are both there at the same time, and don't really hang together. I think they come here to hunt, and take the catch back to their nest. The lake is shallow and has a lot of fish, was recently stocked with trout. I would love to know where the nest's are.

I found them 

IMG_3039 (1).JPG

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dennis said:

Locally, we have osprey nests on poles. Geese have been taking the nests before the osprey return. 

Huh. I didn’t think geese would nest that high. Around here, they’re ground nesters.

The local conservancy had a nest platform on a pole over one of their ponds. The ospreys used it for several years, but then apparently they didn’t like the growth of brush around the base, so they moved across the street to the top of a utility pole. One with two transformers. ? The power company came and set a pole right next to it and they put a platform on it. It’s been in use every year since. Haven’t been over to see if it’s occupied yet this year, but I’d imagine it is - I’ve seen ospreys lugging sticks to the tops of the cell towers all along the Thruway. They love those!

Last year, there was an osprey who sat on the exact same branch, every morning, during my commute. I was starting to think it was stuffed.

• Heart 1

While on another thread, movement by the side garage door on the other monitor caught my eye...

Not too bad as I turned the IR (attracted moths which would trigger 'events') so available light only. There is a motion triggered light that floods the side but the raccoon was too small to trigger it

Side.20180411_164517_1.jpg

• Awesome 1