Only in Ohio

Kzoo

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

“You should avoid any raccoon that is active during daylight hours, has lost its fear of humans, or appears uncoordinated, confused or listless.”

That's in Youngstown. If any where in Ohio would have a problem like this, it's Youngstown.

Ohio is Ohio.  From the lake to the river from PA to IN.  Ohio's Ohio.

• Whatever 1

The raccoon Coggeshall encountered and 14 others police responded to were reportedly euthanized.”

Thats what I do to them too. I had one tested for rabies, it was negative. They said it was probably distemper. I have a collection of euthanizing equipment. I used the 22 single shot on the last one.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The raccoon Coggeshall encountered and 14 others police responded to were reportedly euthanized.”

Thats what I do to them too. I had one tested for rabies, it was negative. They said it was probably distemper. I have a collection of euthanizing equipment. I used the 22 single shot on the last one.

You ever use subsonic in that?  Some of that stuff is quiet.  Got a buddy that has a tube fed lever action .22.  Shooting .22 short in it is pretty quiet.  

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You ever use subsonic in that?  Some of that stuff is quiet.  Got a buddy that has a tube fed lever action .22.  Shooting .22 short in it is pretty quiet.  

Yeah since touching off a .22 LR is an ear splitting thing you don't want to do out in the countryside.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I didn’t even know they made them. If I lived in the city (like really? Me live in the city) that is what I would use. I also have a couple air rifles that shoot 144 pellets. Those are quiet and effective on rabbits and blackbirds. A raccoon or a groundhog is a bit tougher. I didn’t take any chances on the last groundhog I euthanized. I used my Blackhawk 44 Mag.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I didn’t even know they made them. If I lived in the city (like really? Me live in the city) that is what I would use. I also have a couple air rifles that shoot 144 pellets. Those are quiet and effective on rabbits and blackbirds. A raccoon or a groundhog is a bit tougher. I didn’t take any chances on the last groundhog I euthanized. I used my Blackhawk 44 Mag.

I bet you euthanized the Hell out of him with that!!!!  

Here is a good example of .22lr vs .22lr subsonic

• Awesome 1

I see them almost every evening on security camera walking down my driveway. Have to notice live as have sensitivity setting high enough that don't trigger a video clip. Last year had a pineapple that was ripening and just about ready to pick.  They found it and devoured it. Hard fence going around my garden this year.

...I used to hunt squirrels up in the foothills with subsonic .22lr ammunition. I bought the hollow points.

The biggest problem with it was QC, because there were a lot of substandard rounds in every box.

But you can still do a headshot kill on a squirrel with the stuff, as long as you figure for trajectory when you sight in, and you don't get a bad round.

I figured this thread was about the zombie raccoons from the title.  Sounds like they're smoking bath salts to me.

"He would stand up on his hind legs, which I've never seen a raccoon do before, and he would show his teeth and then he would fall over backward and go into almost a comatose condition," he said.

Although raccoons are typically nocturnal animals, many of these incidents occurred in broad daylight.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Looks like you are prepared if anyone steals your goat.:whistle:

• Awesome 1

Molecular Confirmation of the Origin and Invasive Status of West Indian Raccoons

...I originally became interested in this topic while listening to a podcast on the Guadeloupe raccoon (formerly known as Procyon minor).

The whole story of the raccoons on Guadeloupe is quite fascinating, if a little bit disturbing.  Stranger in Paradise

40 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I don't think Guadaloupe is in Ohio. If she is, she's probably up in Cleveland.

...Lupe Rodriguez is a hot tamale. She lives in Lorain. :flirtyeyess:

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Sure..... whatever you say.

image.thumb.png.b2e2ed48ffb819d3d9740345a2e5cd3c.png

...this is the source for the stereotype of old people not being open to new ideas.   #geezers