Sign in to follow this  
Razors Edge

Paris Roubaix (Spoiler)

B-O-O-M!!!

That the peloton let Sagan ride away at 50km to go and bridge up to the small group ahead was NUTSO.

Exactly what you CAN'T do with a three-time World Champ who wants the win.  The four guys in the following group - Terpstra included - seemed to have it to hang with him, but for whatever reason, they let the gap happen.

Tom

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

RIP Michael Goolaerts. I can’t imagine what lead up to that crash.

Purely speculation, but medical issue first caused crash would be my best guess.  Looked pretty tame through there from what little you can see.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Purely speculation, but medical issue first caused crash would be my best guess.  Looked pretty tame through there from what little you can see.

I don’t know. I thought the crash looked pretty horrific and could imagine the trauma to his heart from that ultimately resulting in his death. Certainly he could have had a medical issue happen that caused the crash, although we may never know. And neither scenario seems any more comforting in any manner. 

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t know. I thought the crash looked pretty horrific and could imagine the trauma to his heart from that ultimately resulting in his death. Certainly he could have had a medical issue happen that caused the crash, although we may never know. And neither scenario seems any more comforting in any manner. 

I couldn't tell anything in the video, but I just couldn't figure out what would cause the crash.  From what little I could see, just looked like a pretty routine section where a crash would be kind of unusual.

But I have no clue, so just a guess.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, Goat Geddah said:

I read an article on either Cyclingnews or Velonews which stated that the crash was the result of a cardiac incident rather than other way around.  There will be an autopsy.

I see an article in cyclingnews today that said just that, and they were awaiting the pathology and toxicology results to look for the cause.  I had forgotten that they know everyone’s heart rates all the time now, either remotely or from his cycle computer’s log. 

You would think if he had a preexisting cardiac anomaly they’d know it from preseason physicals and EKG. Even if he was cleared to race, they it would be know that he was at risk. 

I have to admit the first think I thought when hearing a ride died of a heart attack the night after Roubaix was doping. I had not known of the crash at that point, thought he had gone to bed well and then didn’t wake up, like in the 90’s.