An Easy Fix, But Peculiar

Razors Edge

...in its own way.  I had my rear Zipp built up with a Powertap hub a couple years ago (~5,000 miles on it).  Anyway, the past few rides, I was hearing a spoke-ish noise while riding. I ignored it for a couple rides, but finally, on Friday, it irritated me enough that I assigned Saturday as the "check the noise out" day.  I first worked around my front wheel, but no spokes overlap and no spoke felt or sounded loose.  I then wen to the back wheel, felt them all (seemed okay), lubed the contact points between the spokes, and while working the lube into that contact section, I wiggled them in a different way than I normally do to see their tension. Anyway, that new direction REVEALED one spoke that was way looser than any other. I placed a bit of lube on the spoke/nipple area, grabbed my nipple tool, and tightened it up quite a bit until it felt similar to the other ones on the wheel. 

On my ride on Sunday, no more noise, so whether it was the loose spoke or the rubbing of the spokes, or both, I am now back to "normal".  If I ever wander into the LBS with my bike for a different reason, I might have them assess the overall tension and balance of the wheel. It spins fine with no apparent wobble, so I think I'm still fine.

So, "peculiar" in the sense that "why does a single spoke/nipple out of 24 or more come loose?" sort of way.

Tom  

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

As far as I am concerned, you should always retension a new wheel after a couple of hundred miles.

In this case, I suspect something wasn't seated right in the beginning.

Yeah - the guy who built the wheel told me to bring it in after a few rides and he would check it out. I didn't bother, and it took 5,000 miles to make me wonder if I should have :D

Tom