Protein Powder?

@LabDaddy got me testing out some protein powders for my post-ride "recovery".  I'm wondering how folks use this sort of thing - ie like I am as simply a post-ride/work-out supplement OR as a daily protein boost.

Essentially, the protein powder has replaced my normal chocolate milk recovery drink (Quik + milk).  On the plus side, tons more protein and just as tasty, but on the negative side, maybe lacking in sugar to help boost that up a bit.  Of course, there is some natural sugar in milk, but not like there is in Quik.  Anyway, I don't think lack of sugar is a problem for me, so I'm fine with leaving it out.

I do need to work on my blending of the powder into the milk. It seems to clump a little bit more than I like, and some sticks to the spoon I use to stir the drink. Maybe a pulse or two in the blender would do the trick.

Tom

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I just have Bobs protein powder mixed with water.  I'll even drink the unflavored stuff.

I gotta have a little flavor and so far only in milk.  But I might try in water today to see if the clumping is different.  If it tastes the same, I'll maybe go to water, but I think the milk does add some other positives like the fat and sugars.

Tom

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I use unflavored, unsweetened pure organic whey mixed in water, works good for me. I had trouble finding anything that didn't have either soy or sucralose and most had both so I shopped online.

Try finding gluten free, vegan with those nasty fake sugars.  I have found two so far.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 8:59 PM, Square Wheels said:

Try finding gluten free, vegan with those nasty fake sugars.  I have found two so far.

What part of "whey" (the watery part of milk that remains after the formation of curds) could be construed as "vegan"?  Do you go with pea protein? That seems popular now.

Tom

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What part of "whey" (the watery part of milk that remains after the formation of curds) could be construed as "vegan"?  Do you go with pea protein? That seems popular now.

Tom

The only ones without stevia I have found are pea or rice protein.  Bob's is the cheapest, I think it's mostly pea.