NHL Playoffs

Prophet Zacharia

Did your team make it? If not, will you watch? Support an alternate team?

East:

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. NJD

Boston vs. Toronto

Washington vs. CBJ

Pittsburgh vs. Philly

West:

Nashiville vs. Colorado 

VGK vs. LA

Winnipeg vs. Minnesota

San Jose vs. Anaheim

i like Tampa, Boston, Columbus as an upset, and PGH in the East.

Don’t see enough West games, but NSH, Jets, Kings and  Sharks will be my predictions.

I think the Las Vegas Golden Knights have to be the Cinderella favorites.  Incredible what they've done, though I haven't followed them, and since they are out west, don't hear much about them.

My team just missed, finishing a mere 15 spots out of playoff status.

My team is Pittsburgh but only because....... well it's Pittsburgh.  I don't watch hockey or have any favorites until the Pens make it to the SC Finals.  And even then I only check the score the next day.  I can't watch more than 5 minutes of hockey, which is one more minute than I can watch soccer.

The presentation of the trophy is cool though.  Better watching than the game(s)

Send me a PM if Pittsburgh makes the finals.

31 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I am going with Tampa to go the whole way, beating Winnipeg in the final.  My first round question is what sort of wager is @Square Wheels picking his hometown Bruins going to bet against @Wilbur with his hometown Maple Leafs.

Let the trash talking begin

I like Winnipeg out of the West, as a bit of a sleeper, too. I can't predict who will come out of the East. When will Stamkos be back, and how healthy? Were the Bruins better served with more substitutions due to injuries? They've trailed off at the end of the schedule. Have the Penguins been playing rope-a-dope with the regular season and find a way to flip the switch come April 11? Will it finally be the Jacket's year to win a series, or the Caps to clear the Metro?

Tampa seems to have it all this year, the west is pretty weak.

TB, Bruins, Caps win 1st rounds because their opponents are weak, Pens - Flyers is a toss up.  Even tough Pens swept the season, games were close, lots of intangibles that could make it go either way.  But Flyers are trying to make it through with a goalie who underwent major core surgery less than 2 months ago.

Nashville easily beats Colorado, Winnipeg, SJ and Vegas are better than their opponents.  But Vegas' golden season catches up with them in round 2.  Playoffs are a different game, and they aren't built for it.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Tampa seems to have it all this year, the west is pretty weak.

TB, Bruins, Caps win 1st rounds because their opponents are weak,

I don’t agree that TML, Winnipeg or Nashville are weak. And there was a time I thought Tampa was unbeatable, then the last three months of the season happened. I think this year is more difficult to call than recent years. More legitimate contenders, IMO.

Can Giroux get any love from the voters for the Hart? I think he’s the best vote, tbh. 102 pts and guiding his team to the playoffs. Stronger candidate than Hall or MacKinnon by season’s end. Kopitar for the Kings would be my #2.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is everyone in DC in “show me” mode, refusing to get excited for the Capitals yet?

I see a lot of jerseys when I ride the Metro home.  I will say, my neighbors who have been Caps fans for a while now, have been low key this season.  Mostly because they are uber busy, but definitely probably worn down by it all.

They should take some hope from the Eagles' Super Bowl win and think they too could break a long streak of not being able to get it done. But they are Skins fans too, so that ain't gonna happen :D

Tom

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Can Giroux get any love from the voters for the Hart?

Little chance.  He's a pretty low profile guy.  He was deemed "washed up" last year, too many sportswriters are backward thinking.

G was 2nd in points, only 6 behind Wunderkind McDavid.  MVP is more than scoring.  McDavid was +20, G +28.  G was also a defensive stalwart, top 3 in Faceoffs.  Switched to LW for the first time in his life, and not only had a career year himself, but his linemates Couturier and Koneckny also posted career highs.  He put a young team on his back all year.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is everyone in DC in “show me” mode, refusing to get excited for the Capitals yet?

DC has learned it's lesson.  They won't get excited about a playoff run until they know for sure they won't have to play the Penguins at any point.

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am going with Tampa to go the whole way, beating Winnipeg in the final.  My first round question is what sort of wager is @Square Wheels picking his hometown Bruins going to bet against @Wilbur with his hometown Maple Leafs.

Let the trash talking begin

I'll keep my money.  The Bruins really faded out the last few games.  Not sure what happened.  If they keep playing like that they won't make it past the first round.

4 hours ago, 12string said:

Little chance.  He's a pretty low profile guy.  He was deemed "washed up" last year, too many sportswriters are backward thinking.

G was 2nd in points, only 6 behind Wunderkind McDavid.  MVP is more than scoring.  McDavid was +20, G +28.  G was also a defensive stalwart, top 3 in Faceoffs.  Switched to LW for the first time in his life, and not only had a career year himself, but his linemates Couturier and Koneckny also posted career highs.  He put a young team on his back all year.

I was all aboard the MacKinnon bus, but then he stalled for almost a dozen games and the Avs nearly lost their playoff birth. Hall did carry the Devils much of the way, but he’s a long way back behind Giroux in scoring. I was a Malkin supporter for a while, he lead the resurgence of the Pens at the change of the calendar, but his scoring also dropped off at the end of March. I don’t think you need to solidly outscore all of your teammates to be Hart eligible, because your play should also elevate your teammates’ stats. So yes, I say G for Hart. And cats and dogs can sleep comfortably together tonight. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t think you need to solidly outscore all of your teammates to be Hart eligible, because your play should also elevate your teammates’ stats.

My thoughts exactly.  A lot of players are good hockey players, but the great ones make others better.  I like Giroux, but disagree with the Hart.  I always looked at the MVP as "If I was a GM and won a lottery that allowed me to pick any one player in the league to play for my team for the next year, who would it be?"

It would have to be McDavid.

36 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

My thoughts exactly.  A lot of players are good hockey players, but the great ones make others better.  I like Giroux, but disagree with the Hart.  I always looked at the MVP as "If I was a GM and won a lottery that allowed me to pick any one player in the league to play for my team for the next year, who would it be?"

Last time a non-playoff player won the Hart was 1998, if I am not mistaken. But Lemieux had a 168 points that year, 19 more than second half place Gretzky. 70 goals. And the Pens, despite missing the playoffs, had more points than about 6 of the playoff teams in the league that season. So it has to be a particularly special season for a non-playoff team’s player to win Hart. If you’re not helping your team to win, how valuable are you?

This year for McDavid seemed that his surge is scoring came once the Oilers were already either eliminated, or at least belly up in the standings. 

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Depends on the makeup of my team.  I could add McDavid, get 20 more goals than I had with the other guy he pushes down a line.  Or, do I want a player who will get his linemates to score 30 more, win most faceoffs, play D, be a leader.

I would love to have McDavid on my team.  As long as I already have what G brings.  Otherwise, it's out of the playoffs but lots of high score games

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

CBJ wins in OT at Washington 4-3. Will be interesting to see if Trotz panics and make a goalie change (again), and if the Caps start getting tense. 

Both Boston and Tampa pull away in their wins. 

Nashville 2-2 with Colorado at this moment, SJS and Ducks coming up.

San Jose wins game 1, Nashville as well.

I haven't been hiding.  It was moving day at the office.  I am now (temporarily) squeezed onto a small table that barely holds my computers, in a tiny room with about 20 other people leaving barely space to push a chair back.  REALLY annoying!  This happened Wednesday.  At least i could go home and watch hockey and forget it.

Puke!  AWFUL game by the Flyers!  Sure, 7-0 becomes 1-0 the next day, but the genius coach has said he'll make no lineup changes.  So he's going back to 2/3 of a top line, his most dynamic player on a line with zero help, and a goalie who's had 3 games since his major surgery and has proven he's not a little bit ready to play yet.

It's a strong draft.......

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Paging Tom to the Caps fan phone. What’s the blood pressure of your average co-worker today? My sister and BIL are playing it cool, they just enjoyed being at the game last night. So they say. But they also go into text message silence during the playoffs, so as to not disclose too much angst.

Working from home, so I don't get to see or interact with them today. I miss the schadenfreude:(

We will see on Monday.

Tom

Weird. I updated this thread yesterday, but apparently it didn’t accept a post that said the Penguins lost to the Flyers on Friday night. It’s ok, it’s now a series. Game 3 this afternoon, in Philly.

Also from Friday night, 2OT win for the VGK and the Jets also took a 2-0 series lead over the Wild.

Last night, the TBL, Bruins, Nashville and SJS all repeated their opening games success, all taking 2-0 leads.

My pick of LA Kings over VGK is the flaw in my bracket thus far. Although I said in 7 games, so there is “hope”, but the Knights have refound their fire, and keep winning 2OT games. VGK lead 3 games to none.*

Wild survive a spring blizzard and beat the Jets 5-2 to make that series 2-1. 

* My sources now tell me Vegas’ game three win WASN’T an OT game, but instead just played in LA, giving the same effect for eastern time zone fans.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

They are trying to make things exciting. It is the way we do things around here!  

Tom

Did Grubauer play poorly? I only saw the third period and OT. When I asked my sister why Holtby came in for the 3rd period, all I could get from her was “we needed to shake things up”. This is the same Trotz panic move that he did when he pulled Holtby in Game 2 against the Pens last year. No wonder that team has zero confidence in the playoffs. They don’t even want to make it to round two to bow out this year.

18 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did Grubauer play poorly? I only saw the third period and OT. When I asked my sister why Holtby came in for the 3rd period, all I could get from her was “we needed to shake things up”. This is the same Trotz panic move that he did when he pulled Holtby in Game 2 against the Pens last year. No wonder that team has zero confidence in the playoffs. They don’t even want to make it to round two to bow out this year.

You are making VAST assumptions that I would watch the Caps (or hockey) except in person with free tickets somewhere close to the ice. :whistle: Remember, I am merely an observer of the Washington elite fans and their repeated heartbreak. I am in it for the schadenfreude as I have noted in the past.

Yesterday, I watched Amstel Gold. That was more than enough sports watching for me. I may watch the women's event tonight.

Tom

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You are making VAST assumptions that I would watch the Caps (or hockey) except in person with free tickets somewhere close to the ice. :whistle: Remember, I am merely an observer of the Washington elite fans and their repeated heartbreak. I am in it for the schadenfreude as I have noted in the past.

Yesterday, I watched Amstel Gold. That was more than enough sports watching for me. I may watch the women's event tonight.

Tom

I actually didn't think you watched. I thought your cow-orkers would be very opinionated about the decision, though.

I was actually able to watch the Pens game yesterday on TV.  I often listen to the games via an app on my phone but it hasn't been working this season. 

Tom the cat finally experienced hockey in my household.  He wasn't amused with my fanatic displays of excitement. 

Washington will be swept by the BJs. 

Couch 

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I actually didn't think you watched. I thought your cow-orkers would be very opinionated about the decision, though.

Yep - coworkers, friends, neighbors.  It is quite a roller coaster here with these DC teams.  Caps and Redskins lead the agita :D,  but the Nats are starting to really frustrate folks who are already looking ahead for a championship.  For some reason, the Wizards are mentioned ever.

And it is more the endless talk about players or a specific game - when they are winning - that is so annoying.  Just let the folks play, comment on how "good" or "bad" the game was, and move on. None of my peeps get paid or receive any compensation for building their weekends or evenings around these teams so they just need to lighten up a bit. 

Tom

16 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Greater Pennsylvania Open Leaderboard: Round 3*

Gostisbehere -5
Giroux -4
Couturier -3
Raffl -3
Manning -3
12 at -1

* No one cut going into the weekend, except maybe Letang.

You left out the rating for the coach.  I rarely call for coach's heads, but this time.....

No doubt, the Pens are a better, deeper team, Flyers are still rebuilding.  But headed to the playoffs, Flyers were on a roll, one of the best late season records in the league DESPITE losing both goalies.  Mrazek was Mrazek, a couple lights out games, a bunch of awful games.  Alex Lyon at #4 played very well.  Moving Koneckny to the top line created one of the best lines in hockey.  So coach decides to play a guy coming off major core surgery that takes about 9 months to fully recover, but hey, he's had 7 weeks off, so he plays.  Really poorly.  Oh, and Konecky goes back to line 3 with no help and a 4th liner goes to line 1.  Their 2nd or 3rd best defenseman, Hagg, is a healthy scratch just because he's a rookie.  No changes, no adjustments, not even a timeout.

Mrazek was an emergency signing, he'll be gone.  Elliot stays, I'd hope for Lyon but coach seems to hate him.  Then in 2019 - Carter Hart, and the Flyers start their reign

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I wouldn't plan it just yet.

You don't know Leaf fans.  A couple years ago they won four of their first five games of the season and they were talking cup party.  "Eternally Optimistic"..., until they start losing again.   

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

You don't know Leaf fans.  A couple years ago they won four of their first five games of the season and they were talking cup party.  "Eternally Optimistic"..., until they start losing again.   

I think everyone wants their team to win.  I don't think they'll make it past the Bruins, but if they do, they won't make it past their next match-up.