NHL Playoffs

Prophet Zacharia

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Winnipeg has been my WC champs all along. But I thought Tampa, after dispatching a good Bruins team, would be up for the match. Now it seems not unreasonable that the Caps will survive the East.

It's too bad.  The Caps are a basket of deplorables.  And I thought the  Bruins were bad. 

GO Jets! 

Couch 

I prefer not to talk about the lightning except to say they seem to have forgotten they are in the playoffs. 

A rude awakening has to have happened. Either we play like we did for 75% of the season, trophy winners, or just fricken phoning it in like the last two games.

post mortem:

Flyers lost to the Pens allowing 28 goals in 6 games, playing 2 netminders not fully recovered from major injuries.

After sending down to the minors Alex Lyon.  In the Calder Cup playoffs, Lyon is 6-1, 1.49 GAA, .959 SV%

Last series, against the #1 scoring team in the league, 4-0, 0.73, .979.  That 4-0 was more like 5 1/2 - 0 counting the 5 OT game he stole.

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

post mortem:

Flyers lost to the Pens allowing 28 goals in 6 games, playing 2 netminders not fully recovered from major injuries.

After sending down to the minors Alex Lyon.  In the Calder Cup playoffs, Lyon is 6-1, 1.49 GAA, .959 SV%

Last series, against the #1 scoring team in the league, 4-0, 0.73, .979.  That 4-0 was more like 5 1/2 - 0 counting the 5 OT game he stole.

Sounds like your GM doesn’t know jack about goaltending. ?

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Sounds like your GM doesn’t know jack about goaltending. ?

go ahead, say that where he can hear and see what happens!

He certainly can draft the,  Lyon isn't even the top prospect.

He's way too hung up on this patience thing, don't rush anyone.  Not like the Flyers were getting much further than the Pens anyway.  The good thing is, he was leaning towards keeping Lyon down next year, too.  This might force his hand.  An Elliot/Lyon tandem would be rather solid next year

19 minutes ago, 12string said:

go ahead, say that where he can hear and see what happens!

He certainly can draft the,  Lyon isn't even the top prospect.

He's way too hung up on this patience thing, don't rush anyone.  Not like the Flyers were getting much further than the Pens anyway.  The good thing is, he was leaning towards keeping Lyon down next year, too.  This might force his hand.  An Elliot/Lyon tandem would be rather solid next year

What’s he gonna do, chase me through the face off circle? ?‍♂️??

3 hours ago, goldendesign said:

I prefer not to talk about the lightning except to say they seem to have forgotten they are in the playoffs. 

A rude awakening has to have happened. Either we play like we did for 75% of the season, trophy winners, or just fricken phoning it in like the last two games.

The Lightning have a 14% chance of making a comeback based on past NHL numbers.  Start making tee times, your season is over.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And Tom Wilson got his feeling hurt. But he’s become an advocate for players’ safety.

"I’m not here to complain about anything. I’m just talking about it for the better of the game and for the better of player safety."

He should play for Boston.  He would fit it with the licker.

Couch

Tom should just suck it up buttercup. What the hell is he playing? Competitive figure skating or fucking hockey? Yes the hit was penalty worthy, it wasn't an intentional, disabling blow. Plenty of skaters visit the penalty box for hits like that all season long. I think hes just pissed because they thought they had Tampa all wrapped up and then got embarrassed on home ice.

Lightning is in it and yesterday they showed up!  

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Some Caps fans showed up AT GAME THREE with a broom signed by Backstrom, claiming they were going to sweep. Stupid Caps fans seemingly never learn.

Celebrating with only two wins in their pocket in the Conference Finals!?!?! Oh boy. Lets hope the Caps keep that mentality so their unfocused on the actual games their playing. Would be fun to watch the light in their eyes slowly die over the next few games. 

Edited by goldendesign

Lets not forget, Tampa still has to win 3 of the next 4.  As much as I hate to admit it, the Caps are still in the drivers seat, up 2-1 and at home.  I think if Tampa wins game 4, they win the series.  If not, bring the jam because they are toast.

3 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

Lets not forget, Tampa still has to win 3 of the next 4.  As much as I hate to admit it, the Caps are still in the drivers seat, up 2-1 and at home.  I think if Tampa wins game 4, they win the series.  If not, bring the jam because they are toast.

I totally agree. We need to play like they did finishing up Boston. Play their way, dominate the neutral zone and capitalize on every error. If they slip up even one period it could easily sink us.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I totally agree. We need to play like they did finishing up Boston. Play their way, dominate the neutral zone and capitalize on every error. If they slip up even one period it could easily sink us.

Historically, go down 0-2 in the playoffs and you have a 14% chance of winning the series.  I would go ahead and get a loaf of bread and some butter.

So MAF wills the VGK past the Jets’ third period push to take a 2-1 series lead. One thing I saw on Twitter during last series was talk from national NHL writers about Fleury being an eventual Hockey Hall of Famer. I was a little surprised, because he’s always been criticized for having his wins due to being on a team with Crosby and Malkin, where offense was largely credited for his win totals. But that same offensive presence also detracted from his GAA and SV%. So now he’s got a new situation in Vegas, and he’s killing it. .945 SV%, 1.7 GAA through 2 1/2 rounds.

He’s currently 9th overall in Playoff wins, and could tie Dryden at 6th if Vegas can win the Cup this season. He’d then be within striking distance for 3rd all time career playoff wins. He’ll also likely surpass Glenn Hall, Tony Esposito and Jacque Plante next season for career regular season wins, and top 5 all time won’t be out of the question. 6th in playoff shutouts, currently ties with Hasek, Belfour and Plante.

So while I don’t think he needs to win the Cup with VGK for this idea to have legs anymore, wouldn’t a 4th Cup, this time with an expansion team, with his numbers this post season, make a HHOF induction more likely than not if they do win?

He'll be there.  The HHOF has lowered it standards in recent years.

There is only one goaltender in the top ten all time winners list that is no longer playing and NOT in the hall, (Curtis Joseph) and he is not even getting a sniff because he never won anything.  The Flower with three cups will be in regardless of what happens this year

Tampa ties the series with a win tonight.  However I am withdrawing my earlier state ten that if they win tonight they win the series.  They were out-shot 38-20, which is a huge gap.  It has always been said you cannot win the cup without a goaltender stealing a game or two for you, and Tampa did not win, Vaz stole this win.  Well done for him.  Down to a best of three with 2 games to be played in Tampa

6 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

He'll be there.  The HHOF has lowered it standards in recent years.

There is only one goaltender in the top ten all time winners list that is no longer playing and NOT in the hall, (Curtis Joseph) and he is not even getting a sniff because he never won anything.  The Flower with three cups will be in regardless of what happens this year

But is that lowered standards to induct MAF? Some of his numbered are up their with the league’s icon goalies. There are only 35 goalies I. the HHOF. Unless you’re drawing the line after Brodeur and Roy, MAF is in the next tier.

Be interested in hearing some names of other active players that people think are HHOF ready if they retired today or within next few years. So players with a solid career of work already in, maybe a few years left, but not the projection of “what if” he lives up to his potential over the next 10 years (like McDavid).

Thornton

Crosby

Ovie

I think the Sedin’s will, but that’s part of the watering down of the HOF when looking at production alone. 

Luongo, Lundqvist, MAF.

That’s my list of almost certain.

Can play into HOF within a few years:

Malkin

Kane

Stamkos (although is a bit back in points due to missed games)

zetterberg and Toews probably will. Bergeron. Doughty. Karlsson.

11 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

Vaz stole this win.  Well done for him.  Down to a best of three with 2 games to be played in Tampa

He's one of the biggest reasons we are where we are this season. His work ethic, skill, and tenacity are unmatched. I had the pleasure to meet him at his first signing, I know the director of merchandise for the Lightning so I usually sit back stage for as many signings I can get to at their store locations and he is as humble and awkward as all the reports make it out to be. He even asked me what he should do when the fans come up and complement him during the autograph session. I told him to thank them for being fans. He did great. 

I also had the pleasure of making his engagement ring before I left Tiffany & Co. very modest and simple. His wife is a delight and loves using English word play to make jokes. Just on dedication alone I'd vote Venzina trophy.

Tampa has their work cut out for them but now they have the momentum and at least in this playoff season, once they've gotten that it's hard to wrestle it from them. 

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But is that lowered standards to induct MAF?

No.  I think he would be there anyway.  He has had a good numbers and a successful career.  The whole thing about being on Pitts wont hurt him.  Ken Dryden got in playing with the powerhouse Habs in the late 70's when opposing teams were getting 15 shots a game.  I could have played nets for them and still they would still win.  

My point was some of the members inducted the last 7 or 8 years are more because they played 1200-1600 games then because they were great players and worthy of the hall

Does anyone else wish LV nothing but failure after watching the opening with the flaming arrows, battling knights and the jet getting chopped into by the knight?  That schlock does not belong in hockey and I hope Las Vegas realizes it, but only after losing to Winnipeg.

Just now, jsharr said:

That schlock does not belong in hockey and I hope Las Vegas realizes it, but only after losing to Winnipeg.

Considering they are a new team, with a fan base that may not have had much experience as hockey fans I think its fun. It is grandiose and over the top, but when has anything in Vegas been less than that?

Hell for years as a season ticket holder for the Red Wings we would bring an octopus to throw on the rink. That is crass and fun and doesn't exactly make the game any more/less respectable.

1 minute ago, goldendesign said:

Considering they are a new team, with a fan base that may not have had much experience as hockey fans I think its fun. It is grandiose and over the top, but when has anything in Vegas been less than that?

Hell for years as a season ticket holder for the Red Wings we would bring an octopus to throw on the rink. That is crass and fun and doesn't exactly make the game any more/less respectable.

Totally different.  One is fan tradition, the other is front office schmaltz.  It is sports, not WWE for crying out loud.  Hockey is pretty traditional and these new teams like Nashville having big name performers sing the anthem and LV doing smoke and mirrors crap is not traditional.

And ANY team whose fan base does not sing the anthem but instead yells out one or two words should be penalized one open net goal to start the game.  

Also, each team should have a professional boxer who gets to deliver one blow to the helmetless head of any player on the opposing team that takes a run at a player and goes for the head.  

1 hour ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

My point was some of the members inducted the last 7 or 8 years are more because they played 1200-1600 games then because they were great players and worthy of the hall

I should probably add Marleau to my sure fire, at this moment, HOF list. 1129 points, 2 Olympic gold, gold and silver at World Championships. 535 goals. 1200 is usually the shoe-in HOF point total, his Olympic gold probably push him over.

Chara?

Mark Recci and Dino Ciccarelli got in, Mareleau is a shoe-in.

But then again, I thought Curtis Joseph would be too.  5th or 6th all time in wins, despite playing in Toronto and St Louis, never drafted, basically a walk-on.  But never won a thing

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

There's a huge hockey tradition behind the octopus, and it was about HOCKEY.

What Vegas is doing has nothing to do with hockey - or sport, for that matter.  Sure, if it's not entertaining, people won't buy tickets.  But their team IS entertaining.  I don't mind exposing more people to the sport, but this is exposing them to just another high tech show.  My fear is that it brings fans in for that reason, and that starts a watering down of the game to appeal to people who came for the cool lights and smoke.

Yeah, add some fun around it, but can we play some hockey?

18 minutes ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

This is how you open a hockey game.  From a Major Junior team where I use to live.  Best.Opening.Ever.

You need the sound on.....

I love it. I also love the Shark’s opening, at least what they had during the SCF 2106, with sharks swimming under the ice. Montreal with flames on the ice is cool. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

Mark Recci and Dino Ciccarelli got in, Mareleau is a shoe-in.

But then again, I thought Curtis Joseph would be too.  5th or 6th all time in wins, despite playing in Toronto and St Louis, never drafted, basically a walk-on.  But never won a thing

Recchi had 3 Cups and 1533 points.

Ciccarelli is the better comparison, but he got above 600 goals and 1200 points. Marleau isn’t there yet. 

Why is Cam Neely in the HOF?