NHL Playoffs

Prophet Zacharia

19 minutes ago, 12string said:

Caps are on a mission, Vegas might just be happy yo have gotten this far.  Ovie gets to hoist a cup real soon.

But more importantly, did you win your game last night?  Do you paly all summer?  I tend to take the nice weather off.  I am hard pressed to go to the rink when it is sunny and warm

On 6/3/2018 at 11:47 AM, Angelic Zephyr said:

This whole series it taking too long.  The gap between the end of the third round and starting the finals, plus the extra days to get it to a Saturday night game  makes it awful easy to lose interest.  

This. The Final should have started two or three days after the ECF concluded, then run every other night.  Starting 5/25, they'd have already played Game 6* by now.  Once Memorial Day weekend happens, I'm almost never home on the weekends. I'm still interested, but haven't seen an entire game yet. Vegas losing their wheels has me increasingly disinterested, however. This was a fun series to start that has become increasingly lopsided. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

But more importantly, did you win your game last night?  Do you paly all summer?  I tend to take the nice weather off.  I am hard pressed to go to the rink when it is sunny and warm

4-1 loss.  It was a summer season bench, we didn't even have 2 full lines until the 2nd period.  They combined a couple divisions, the other team was much faster and wore us down

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, 12string said:

4-1 loss.  It was a summer season bench, we didn't even have 2 full lines until the 2nd period.  They combined a couple divisions, the other team was much faster and wore us down

I once rode the Blueridge Parkway. When I returned to the ice after the trip, I could skate endlessly. It didn’t matter when we had only two subs on the bench. That was 17 years ago. ?

18 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

This was the UCONN ice rink that I played on when I returned from many years of living in the south.  It had no walls and the student league had it's games late at night after all other activities were done.  Needless to say there was no summer skating.  Those games were coooold that late at night.

Image result for old uconn ice rink

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This was the UCONN ice rink that I played on when I returned from many years of living in the south.  It had no walls and the student league had it's games late at night after all other activities were done.  Needless to say there was no summer skating.  Those games were coooold that late at night.

Image result for old uconn ice rink

Later that winter, the McGill University Hockey Club was founded. :lol: 

Actually, that reminds me of a rink I played in a few times in Mercer, NJ while in High School. 

23 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Later that winter, the McGill University Hockey Club was founded. :lol: 

Actually, that reminds me of a rink I played in a few times in Mercer, NJ while in High School. 

There were nights we had to play half rink games because of weather events at the other end.  I loved that old rink.  I had many a good fight there.

46 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I grew up in the full cage era. Fights in the game were foolish, despite what we'd see on TV. 

Testosterone.  I was playing with college kids after two tours in the Navy.  If you slap me in the back of the head with your stick after I check you legally then you are going down.

Whose testosterone.........well that's open for debate.  This was in open face helmets n the early 70's.

I haven't been heavily into hockey since the old minor-league that the Baltimore Clippers were in folded. Back in the 1960's, NBA Baltimore Bullets center Wes Unseld was asked what the team had to do to sell out their playoff games. He replied, "We could advertise it as a Clippers game."

With the Washington Capitals one game removed from winning the Stanley Cup, I may get back into it next season - the Capitol One Arena is less than an hour from my house and you can prepay & reserve parking a block away online for about $20 - which is cheap for D.C.

Caps win in 5.  Ovi wins the Conn Smythe.  Ovi shows his true colours and class before the game even started by intentionally crossing centre to poke Fleury to get him off his game.  The warmup is a weird time because both teams are on the ice and the refs are not.  There is a code among the players as to the conduct during this time, and he broke it.  

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Caps win in 5.  Ovi wins the Conn Smythe.  Ovi shows his true colours and class before the game even started by intentionally crossing centre to poke Fleury to get him off his game.  The warmup is a weird time because both teams are on the ice and the refs are not.  There is a code among the players as to the conduct during this time, and he broke it.  

Ovie’s a douche. Always will be. Gifted shooter, but a douche. The whole team follows his lead. I’m a little mad that I don’t hate Oshie as much today after his speech about his dad. But Wilson is still trash.

will Thom now come out of hiding?

• Heart 1

• 3 years later...
30 minutes ago, 12string said:

Which is why I won't give you a Flyers update, Let's go Panthers!!!!!

So, these are the teams?  Caps made it?  I'm going to pull for Calgary!

Atlantic: FLA-WSH | TOR-TB
Metro: CAR-BOS | NYR-PIT
Central: COL-NSH | MIN-STL
Pacific: CGY-DAL | EDM-LA

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Florida in 5

Tampa in 6

Boston in 7

Rangers in 5

Colorado in 4

Calgary in 5

Wild in 7

Edmonton in 6

I pretty much agree here except with Colorado.  Nashville went 3-0 against them head to head this season so this series may go 6.  

Soros is injured and not expected to play, I believe.

Crap.  I just saw he is expecting  to miss at least the first two games.  I have a couple Preds in our draft pool so was hoping to grab a few points 

Couple of interesting games so far. Toronto pounded the Bolts in game 1. Too soon to say, but Tampa looked tired. Is the grind of a regular season having to be played before the playoffs too much for them? :whistle:

Washington refused to roll over, taking game 1 in Florida.

Penguins showed way more life and found better goal tending than I expected, winning at the Garden in 3OT. Sid’s now 3 points behind Paul Coffey for 6th all time playoff scoring, and 8 points back of Jagr in fifth.

Kings allow McDavid a couple of PP points, but Mike Smith turns the puck over late in the 3rd period, allowing LA to win game 1. 

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Washington refused to roll over, taking game 1 in Florida.

Or,  couple miscues by Florida, Bob didn't have his best game.

All t\he clutching and grabbing, I thought it was 1995 again.  It didn't benefit either team, but if the refs don't get that controlled soon it will be bad hockey

40 minutes ago, 12string said:

Or,  couple miscues by Florida, Bob didn't have his best game.

My comment wasn’t a reflection of the Capitals’ play, but the outcome, and the fact that most people didn’t give the Caps any chance at all. Including me.

I didn’t see any of that game, I had more important things to watch. 

My comment wasn’t a reflection of the Capitals’ play, but the outcome, and the fact that most people didn’t give the Caps any chance at all. Including me.

I didn’t see any of that game, I had more important things to watch. 

Oh, right, there was professional diving on last night, too

Capitals win big at home versus Fla, go up in the series 2-1.

Penguins do similarly, take the Rangers out 7-4 in a rollercoaster of a game. Go up 2-1 on the series.

Avs keep rolling. Boston takes their first at home to hang in, down 2-1. Toronto wins at Tampa to go up 2-1. Good hockey being played.

I think the Wild/Blues tied at 1-1, as are Stars/Calgary. Edm up 2-1 at LA.

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I was shocked to see Carolina looking defeated.  They are still the better team, but it looked as if there might be a tad bit of hope.

This has been a really odd first round.  Colorado is the only team showing any consistency.  Every other series has a blow out one way followed by the next game being a strong game for the other team.   My pool picks were low so I ended up banking on a couple upsets to get anywhere.  Boston can take that series 

• Heart 1