Favorite songs

TrentonMakes
Go to solution Solved by TrentonMakes,

The radio station I listen to is currently soliciting lists of people's top 10 favorite songs of all time.  The votes will be compiled and played back as part of an extended countdown next month.

How would you complete such a list?  Are they songs that you feel are really well done?  Is the musical composition more important or less important than good lyrics?  Or would you choose songs that transport you back to another time?  Does a song have to stand the test of time or can a new song be "great"?

The things that make people like a song, or dislike a song, and the subjectivity of what makes a song "good", is endlessly fascinating to me.

I heard some guy on the radio talking about how he'd want one dance song, one instrumental song, one punk song, etc.  Can't say I'm a fan of that approach.

I have a list of about 25 and I'm trying to pare it down.  Interestingly, there are a handful of "usual suspects" that I'm not really feeling at the moment.

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

I found @Square Wheels' list.

10. "25 or 6 to 4"
9. "25 or 6 to 4"
8. "25 or 6 to 4"
7. "25 or 6 to 4"
6. "25 or 6 to 4"
5. "25 or 6 to 4"
4. "25 or 6 to 4"
3. "25 or 6 to 4"
2. "The Rain Song"
1. "25 or 6 to 4"

That's not too far off.  I find myself almost always going back to songs from my early year.  Very few new bands intrigue me enough to listen.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:54 PM, Further said:

f you can listen to this without tapping a toe, better check for a pulse

Yep - here is 20 that are all great:

Susie Q
I Put A Spell On You
Proud Mary
Bad Moon Rising
Lodi
Green River
Commotion
Down On The Corner
Fortunate Son
Travelin' Band
Who'll Stop The Rain
Up Around The Bend
Run Through The Jungle
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Long As I Can See The Light
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
Hey Tonight
Sweet Hitch-Hiker
Someday Never Comes

Tom

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - here is 20 that are all great:

Susie Q
I Put A Spell On You
Proud Mary
Bad Moon Rising
Lodi
Green River
Commotion
Down On The Corner
Fortunate Son
Travelin' Band
Who'll Stop The Rain
Up Around The Bend
Run Through The Jungle
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Long As I Can See The Light
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
Hey Tonight
Sweet Hitch-Hiker
Someday Never Comes

You could put a little effort into it rather than just copying the track listing for the Chronicle best-of. :D

Which is sorely lacking for its omission of "Ramble Tamble", maybe my favorite CCR song.

28 minutes ago, donkpow said:

#1. "Black Betty", Ram Jam

I was not heretofore familiar with that one..... not saying I'd include it in my top 10 (or top 100) but I like it.

I heard Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" earlier this afternoon (#362) and the guitar tone, and a few of the riffs, sounded similar.

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I was not heretofore familiar with that one.....

What!?!?!?!

My favorites are always in a state of flux but I agree with what someone said above about its something that resonates with you, not nessicarily something that'd go good at a party. 

My two favorites currently:

Two that I always go back to are Riviera Paradise and Europa.  I guess I have a type. :D  Impossible Germany might make the cut.  Lately I have found plenty of similar Santana songs on u-tube. :)

Pink Floyd has to have a couple in there, say Wish You Were Here and Great Gig in the Sky.

Green Grass and High Tides, and maybe Melissa, hell, maybe even Freebird. :D

More later!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Two that I always go back to are Riviera Paradise and Europa.  I guess I have a type. :D  Impossible Germany might make the cut.  Lately I have found plenty of similar Santana songs on u-tube. :)

Pink Floyd has to have a couple in there, say Wish You Were Here and Great Gig in the Sky.

Green Grass and High Tides, and maybe Melissa, hell, maybe even Freebird. :D

More later!

Impossible Germany is certainly up there but At Least That's What You Said is my favorite from Wilco. But my favorite is All Along the Watchtower. I have a collection of around 25 versions of it.

• Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My definitive version of AATWT was always Dave Mason, but maybe because that was the one I heard the most.  I didn't even find out until recently that Dylan wrote it. :D

That was Dave Mason playing a 12-string guitar on Hendrix's cover! Also after Dylan heard Hendrix's version, that's how Dylan started playing it in concert.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Two that I always go back to are Riviera Paradise and Europa.

From the titles - I don't know what those are.  I will check them out.

...ah, OK.  The SRV does sound familiar, but I know the Santana song.  Nice.  (well - are these the tracks you meant?)

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Further said:

Often, in the wee hours, with a veil of melancholy over the mood, Leonard Cohen pays a visit

He's got some amazing stuff.

Did you hear the You Want It Darker album from the year he died?  It's equal parts beautiful and creepy, but I guess he mined that vein often.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 3 years later...

I'd have a different list each week because I have so many different songs that appeal to me at times.

Sometimes I'll do something like play the Bette Midler version of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company C" three times in a row in my car or do the same with other songs like The Seeker's, "Georgy Girl" pr Patsy Cline's, "Crazy," and then not play them again for months.

Back in college I thought Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" was one of the greatest songs ever written.  Now, meh.