Moving

Parsnip Totin Jack

Last time we moved, we had the movers put all the big stuff in the house & all the boxes in the garage (sorted by room).

I'd bring in  a few boxes & we'd sort into keep/store/trash & I'd take the store/trash back out to the garage (attic access was thru the garage).

We had one car in the garage after one week & both in after two weeks.

Will be feeling your pain soon.  About a month to go before we take possession of our new house, probably a month and half until we have to get out of our current one.

• Heart 1

I've been filling one trash can every week just from accumulated crap in the house.  Finally paired down my old computer collection to zero.  Amiga is gone, Vic 20 gone, Compaq lunchbox 8088 gone, along with various 386, 486 and classes of Pentiums.  Yeah, I had a bit of problem.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Reading the Long Haul was enlightening. He said people paid him a lot of money to move crap because they couldn't let go. Letting go of stuff is hard, but it's mostly mental.

My last move was only stuff that could fit in my car. It felt good to downsize. The only regret I have so far is a pair of studded 29er tires that I sold. Wish I still had them. 

Good luck with your moves gentleman. 

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I've been filling one trash can every week just from accumulated crap in the house.  Finally paired down my old computer collection to zero.  Amiga is gone, Vic 20 gone, Compaq lunchbox 8088 gone, along with various 386, 486 and classes of Pentiums.  Yeah, I had a bit of problem.

Please pm me your address.  I have 2 C64 computers to send to you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Indy said:

Are you allowed to trash electronics? Out here we are not allowed to put electronics in the trash (we are supposed to drive down the road and throw them off a bridge). I pack all my electronics in heavy duty contractor grade trash bags and pack them in the tote, if it fits it ships. :whistle:

• Heart 1

I have been tempted to take pictures of all the TV sets, stereos, computer monitors and laptops that are polluting the streams I kayak because some boneheaded tree hugger thought that making it illegal to put electronics in a landfill would save the planet. My wife told me not to because she knows me and I would call them morons and chowderheads and idiots and she is right I intended to.:angry:

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I have been tempted to take pictures of all the TV sets, stereos, computer monitors and laptops that are polluting the streams I kayak because some boneheaded tree hugger thought that making it illegal to put electronics in a landfill would save the planet. My wife told me not to because she knows me and I would call them morons and chowderheads and idiots and she is right I intended to.:angry:

The rule of unintended consequences 

Make it easy to do the right thing, passing a law against the wrong thing doesn't mean it will stop. 

I think waste management learned real quick that the way they were emptying the totes directly into the garbage truck from the driver seat wasn't going to work. You could put dead bodies in the tote and if you could close the lid it was gone. They only did that for a short time and then the trucks all had dumpsters installed on a lift that rode right in front of the windshield. The robotic arm then would pick up the tote and dump it in the dumpster, if it didn't look obviously illegal the driver then flipped a switch and the dumpster emptied into the truck. I wonder how many people disposed of bodies before they changed their ways? 

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Wait. You don't have electronics recycling??? Maybe 5 years ago or a little more Oregon made the switch. No electronics in the garbage. All to E Waste. But...there is all kind of places to drop em off. Goodwill for one. I don't esp care for GW but will use m in a pinch. All the garbage haulers have a place to drop off. TVs, computer, monitors, keyboards. I have 2 computers to drop off in my office. I will walk 50 yds to the GW drop site, hand it to the guy and get on with my stuff. It is almost easier than taking them upstairs to the dumpster

10 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Wait. You don't have electronics recycling??? Maybe 5 years ago or a little more Oregon made the switch. No electronics in the garbage. All to E Waste. But...there is all kind of places to drop em off. Goodwill for one. I don't esp care for GW but will use m in a pinch. All the garbage haulers have a place to drop off. TVs, computer, monitors, keyboards. I have 2 computers to drop off in my office. I will walk 50 yds to the GW drop site, hand it to the guy and get on with my stuff. It is almost easier than taking them upstairs to the dumpster

That is what they should have done. Some communities took it upon themselves to set up drop off points on certain days and certain hours for residents of that community. That's nice but not if you are unavailable during those hours. Some electronics stores will take them off your hands for like a ten dollar fee. It needs to be easier than that or the bridge is still going to be the drop off point of choice. I just hope they look before they toss because I might be kayaking under that bridge.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Scrapr said:

We don't have a public town dump, and electronics are not allowed in our trash either.  We need to wait until they have a day where I can haul it to them and pay a hefty price to discard it.  We have a rather large barrel that a truck picks up and dumps, so it's harder for them to see what was in it.  I've put lots of electronics in it, including a 32 inch TV.

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Really sucks. We've been in the new place since Saturday. There are stil boxes to unpack and decisions to be made. WTF is this? Why did we pack this? WTF does this go?  Where is (fill in the blank)? The trash service still hasn't brought the containers that were due here on Monday. We have no curtains and no privacy though Wo7 says some are going up today. I don't care that much about privacy as there are a lot of trees and the houses are far apart, but the trees need more leaves right now. The silver lining is that the next door neighbors gave us a homemade apple pie on Saturday.

Is my room ready?

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We don't have a public town dump, and electronics are not allowed in our trash either.  We need to wait until they have a day where I can haul it to them and pay a hefty price to discard it.  We have a rather large barrel that a truck picks up and dumps, so it's harder for them to see what was in it.  I've put lots of electronics in it, including a 32 inch TV.

Much better choice than the bridge.:whistle:

Fortunately we have a town trash collection center, no longer a "dump" as folks are learning that the former landfills aren't the best idea ever.  I can drive over there and leave off the computers and other electronics for free.  There is a small charge and a separate pile for old batteries or old tires.  Then there are a string of industrial sized dumpsters for metal, general garbage, wood etc.  In addition, there will be special days for turning in old paint, chemicals, cleaning supplies.  Latex or acrylics can be opened, dried out and put into the trash.  Other paints I save for the special days and carry a couple of boxes down every year.  Lipo batteries I used to take to Radio Shack for disposable.  Now I take them to one of the home improvement centers like Home Depot.

It's certainly convenient to dump them in the trash but you have to remember that much of this stuff is toxic for the environment.  Easy for you now.  Difficult for our descendants later.

The Waco environmentalists talk out both sides of their mouth at the same time. First they say to recycle your newspapers because they don't break down in a modern landfill that is sealed and will still be a readable newspaper in ten thousand years. Then they say don't throw your old TV in the landfill because it will poison the environment. :runcirclsmiley:

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

The Waco environmentalists talk out both sides of their mouth at the same time. First they say to recycle your newspapers because they don't break down in a modern landfill that is sealed and will still be a readable newspaper in ten thousand years. Then they say don't throw your old TV in the landfill because it will poison the environment. :runcirclsmiley:

I think they recycle the newspapers and other paper products because they can be used to make paper again without having to cut down another tree.

23 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Please pm me your address.  I have 2 C64 computers to send to you.

I already had one, even had a 128.  My sister in law used to joke I should open a museum.

20 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Are you allowed to trash electronics? Out here we are not allowed to put electronics in the trash (we are supposed to drive down the road and throw them off a bridge). I pack all my electronics in heavy duty contractor grade trash bags and pack them in the tote, if it fits it ships. :whistle:

Actually, electronics go into the county recycling center, it's free so why not.  This weekend's fun includes hauling of two 65" rear DLP TVs and a 36" tube TV.  Not looking forward to moving that tube TV, that thing is a freaking back breaker.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Actually, electronics go into the county recycling center, it's free so why not.  This weekend's fun includes hauling of two 65" rear DLP TVs and a 36" tube TV.  Not looking forward to moving that tube TV, that thing is a freaking back breaker.

My brother had an HD "tube" TV from the early transition to HD days.  When he moved from his second floor apartment, no one would help him move it (two person job).  He left it in the apartment for the next poor schlub to sort out.  A good TV, though. Nice picture, relatively reasonable price, just too small by today's LCD/LED standards. And way to freaking heavy.

Tom

• Heart 1

I replaced my sister in law's old TV that didn't work and Giant microwave that didn't work with some nice new Chinese electronics. I carried those heavy old monsters down the steep narrow steps wondering how I was going to get rid of them. Her brother had parked his pickup in Mom's garage because he only used it when he needed to haul something and he only had a two car garage at his house. I opened up the truck cap and put the electronics in the back of his truck and told my SIL to let her brother know they are in your truck ready to go. LOL. :D