Lung Failure update

BuffJim

The one time that I had pneumonia my wife made me go to the doctor. I don’t believe in running to the doctor with every little sniffle. They did a chest X-ray and told me I had pneumonia. They gave me a course of antibiotics (I think it was ten pills) and I started feeling better almost immediately. I worked through it, I never take off work for being sick, just broken bones.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

Does that crappy weather worsen your situation?    

Not sure to be honest. Sometimes asthmatics do well in warm dry climates like Arizona. This is the worst reaction to a respiratory infection I’ve ever had (3 months) and pretty intense. 

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

What he said!   We have 7 pretty crappy months of weather. Mid May to Mid October is probably the nicest climate in the world. 

Last time I was in Buffalo you couldn’t breath the air during the “nicest climate in the world.”  Late 70’s

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you're improving. The chest/sinus infections that whacked me hard in Dec.-Jan. led to February chest X-rays because I was so short of breath after doing easy things like carrying a 20 lb object 50 feet. Fortunately they were clear. Right now the problem has almost disappeared. I'm hoping it was a temporary thing, but I worry a little.

In March I was walking a paved park trail and met a guy perhaps 5-10 years older than my 67 years who had a portable oxygen tank and was sitting on a bench at the side of the trail. He said he had begun feeling short of breath are year or so previously and his doctors found lots of scars in his lungs whose origin wasn't clear: he had never smoked, worked around asbestos, etc.  He said it was apparently just bad luck. That scared me a little.

He said he walked the entire 2.8 miles of the trail every nice day, stopping to rest at each bench, which occurred about every 1/4 mile. In that spirit, I'm trying to walk some hills, etc. before returning to cycling after my Apr. 26 root canal.

• Heart 1