I am free!

Kirby

33 minutes ago, Airehead said:
  • I was sure everyone would want the frog on the jury

The two times I was called up to the court room, they called more potential jurors than they needed and then they randomly picked people for the jury from that group. Only when a juror was dismissed  for some reason did they randomly pick a replacement until the jury was full.  I never got beyond the sitting in the courtroom waiting to be a replacement stage.

I think the fact I found jury duty interesting says a lot about my job. :dontknow:

6 minutes ago, Lydia Cheesewaithe said:

So may I call you now? And you never did tell me what you were wearing.   :ph34r:

Today it was dark jeans and a black shirt.  And pearls of course. 

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

@Kirby, please say yes.

He's had my number for some time :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

The two times I was called up to the court room, they called more potential jurors than they needed and then they randomly picked people for the jury from that group. Only when a juror was dismissed  for some reason did they randomly pick a replacement until the jury was full.  I never got beyond the sitting in the courtroom waiting to be a replacement stage.

I would have picked you Kirby.   :nodhead:  I would bring you chocolates, paper mache flowers, and the finest soaps from northern Ireland.   

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Sorry for butting in, since he's had your number, I'm sure he's been calling you regularly, right AWWC?  

A courtship must be double sided. I expect moonpies, scented candles from Israel, and crescent moon shaped strawberry dark chocolate turtle candies.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1

I must be doing it wrong.  I keep getting picked and picked and picked.  Here state jury duty is one day, one trial.  If they don't pick you on that day your done for a few 2 or 3 years.  Federal duty is 30 days as many trials as you get assigned to.  That gets you out for about 4 years.  The last time I got jury duty I did not use my over 70 get out of jail card.  I was relieved when the night before jury duty I was excused however.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Lydia Cheesewaithe said:

By dark jeans and black shirt did you mean wren colored cinnamon blouse with beautiful rust brown twill cotton skirt?  

It was rainy today and I didn't want to catch a chill.

• Heart 1

I do have to say that the court is in a good (although inconvenient for me) location.  If I got there early, I could walk across the street and join the ladies doing tai chi exercises in the park in Chinatown.  Then, when I was finished with my exercises, I could walk three blocks to Little Italy and get some nice recovery Italian pastries. :nodhead:

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

The last time I got jury duty I did not use my over 70 get out of jail card.  I was relieved when the night before jury duty I was excused however.

...the over 70 card is an ethically valid option as far as I'm concerned.  You only have so much time remaining at that point, and why would you want to spend it among criminals,  lawyers, and  lawyers who are criminals ?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I have jury duty next week. It only protects me for 3 years of no more jury duty in Maryland. In Baltimore City, it's only one year: good thing I live a hundred feet outside the city line!

My sister had Jury Duty a couple years ago and when I told her I had to make sure my suit was clean she said, "Suit? No one wears a suit anymore for jury duty! Dress pants, shirt and tie and dress shoes are almost overdoing it."

I also have mild tooth irritation and am scheduled for a root canal on Apr. 26th.

I called the Jury Office and was told there would be no problem if I had a problem with the tooth and had to leave a courtroom and the woman on the phone hinted I might not be called in at all.

I just checked with my jury office about dress code: there is none!

I'm not sure I like it even though it makes it more comfortable for me. If a jury ever has to decide my fate, I'd like to see them dressed up formally for the serious matter as I and my fellow jurors were on the two criminal trial juries I was on in the 1990's.

Then again, I bet a lot of people don't own a suit today - I rarely wear mine. I bought it around 2006 and will probably be cremated in it - hopefully at least 2 decades from now.

My sister had jury duty in the same court a couple years ago and when I said I better make sure my suit's clean, she said, "Suit? No one wears one anymore for jury duty!"

The woman at the jury office also was surprised that I was thinking "suit." She said "casual."

I asked, "Dress shoes,pants, shirt and tie?" and she replied, "You don't need a tie."

So I filled out everything online and, if I have to go in, I have to show up by 7:30 am at the parking garage in Annapolis to catch the shuttle to the courthouse.

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The last time I was called for jury duty, I was rejected.  Apparently, stating that you think chiropractors are a bunch of quacks is a no-no for jurors in traffic accident cases.  

When the judge released me, he seemed to have a wry smile on his face.  :)

There is definately a percentage of quackery there but don’t tell my wife that. I was really helped by a chiropractor fifty some years ago. I was hurt by one about ten years ago, messing around where there wasn’t a problem.

Our juror FAQ simply said there is no dress code except that clothing should be "respectful" to the court.  I saw one guy in a suit, but he was going to a concert at Lincoln Center in the evening.