...the last time I visited my cousins in D.C. ( I think that was when I flew my mother's ashes back for burial in Arlington with my dad), we stopped in Reston to eat supper one day.

I remember being kind of disappointed at how the "planned "community" appeared to have turned out mostly to resemble another suburban housing enclave where the majority of people commuted someplace else to work.  I was also a little bit disappointed in the food at the place we picked to eat, but there were a lot of choices, and I'm sure some of them were better.

Mostly, that whole "planned community" thing seems like a ripoff when the jobs and businesses that were supposed to employ everyone so they could stay closer to home to work never materialized.

It looks good, though.

I think if the communities involved were more like the European model upon which this idea is based on, the solution would work effectively. At this point, it's a solution looking for a problem, IMO. When I was out there in California, it was not unusual to see streets permanently closed to vehicular traffic. Normally, it was a shopping area akin to an open air mall.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

It looks good, though.

I think if the communities involved were more like the European model upon which this idea is based on, the solution would work effectively. At this point, it's a solution looking for a problem, IMO. When I was out there in California, it was not unusual to see streets permanently closed to vehicular traffic. Normally, it was a shopping area akin to an open air mall.

...what's trendy right now here in the Big Tomato is installing diversionary projects, like blocks that are closed off to through traffic and roundabouts in neighborhoods to redirect traffic onto the mains and make the neighborhoods a little safer, more pedestrian/bicycle friendly.  It sort of works, but it does impact heavily the streets they choose as the mains. Nothing's perfect.

BTW, I checked, and Reston does have a lot of office space and "research park" space  to go along with their retail and restaurant places.

It's just that they selected out stuff like venture capital firms and admin type jobs as their go to for work.  So if you're a highly credentialed and qualified upper income managerial or tech/science type, it's quite possible to live and work there without travelling too far.  They just left it up to the rest of the D.C. area to meet their other needs for employment, and I'd be surprised if they have enough designated lower/middle income housing there to meet their need for restaurant and service personnel.  I just remember a lot of cars on the Dulles highway, and they can't all be going to the airport.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, Page Turner said:

BTW, I checked, and Reston does have a lot of office space and "research park" space  to go along with their retail and restaurant places.B

It's just that they selected out stuff like venture capital firms and admin type jobs as their go to for work.  So if you're a highly credentialed and qualified upper income managerial or tech/science type, it's quite possible to live and work there without travelling too far.  They just left it up to the rest of the D.C. area to meet their other needs for employment, and I'd be surprised if they have enough designated lower/middle income housing there to meet their need for restaurant and service personnel.  I just remember a lot of cars on the Dulles highway, and they can't all be going to the airport.

Reston is a mixture of two different and often conflicting design philosophies.  The original "Live, Work, & Play" concept of the Robert E Simon - ie a series of village centers connected by foot/bikepaths with plenty of green space, golf courses, lakes, swimming pools, ball fields, nature trails, and a bit of work opportunities. Then, there is the Reston Town Center - a very dense collection of office buildings, retail, condos, and apartments which is on schedule to quadruple in size as the new Reston Metro stop is scheduled to open in 2020.  The goal of Fairfax County - the "boss" of Reston which isn't true city or town - is density, density, density.  So, over the next ten years, there will be a massive building effort to drag the center of the Reston Town Center 1/2 farther south towards the new station, so tall mix use buildings will change this section of Reston dramatically.

Reston, like Fairfax County, and cities and suburbs across the country, struggles greatly with affordable housing.  The many lower paying jobs that are in Reston require the people filling them to come from a distance :( 

But, the awful truth about the DC area is that there are a LOT of job focus points, but the very mobile workforce RARELY lives where they work.  I am blessed to at least be able to ride to a Metro, head into DC, pop out of the Metro, and be at my office door in a block.  I can't imagine driving to work. I've done that (reverse commute to Bethesda) for several years, and it was awful. 

Tom

Woonerf exists in some towns here. In town of Banff they have a woonerf....and same for Canmore. These are mountain resort towns, surrounded by Rocky Mountains close by, as you eat, chat, etc.  So smaller towns with lots of pedestrian traffic can implement this without destroying car traffic.....especially when people naturally get out and stroll to do stuff /see stuff right now anyway.  

On 4/14/2018 at 7:43 AM, donkpow said:

The DC area is a mess when it comes to traffic. You need a limo to get around.

Yeah, I got caught in that once.  Drove from Baltimore to D.C. and just dealing with the Turnpike was enough to want to end it all.

2 hours ago, dotman17 said:

Yeah, I got caught in that once.  Drove from Baltimore to D.C. and just dealing with the Turnpike was enough to want to end it all.

I once had to drive from D.C. to Baltimore at 4 pm while it was “snowing”. Only a 1/4” fell, but it was mayhem, with cars abandoned on the side of the road.

20 hours ago, dotman17 said:

What turnpike is between Baltimore and DC?  Maybe you were stuck in Delaware, PA, or NJ????

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What turnpike is between Baltimore and DC?  Maybe you were stuck in Delaware, PA, or NJ????

Tom

I don't remember. It might have been the circle around Baltimore. But I remember backups everywhere heading to the Great Gig in the Sky

19 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I don't remember. It might have been the circle around Baltimore. But I remember backups everywhere heading to the Great Gig in the Sky

So this has nothing to do with DC traffic and everything (maybe) to do with Baltimore's traffic????  Blame Mick!

DC traffic is craptastic (always top 10 worst in US), but the DC-Baltimore piece is hardly the bad section.  Scary, but true.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So this has nothing to do with DC traffic and everything (maybe) to do with Baltimore's traffic????  Blame Mick!

DC traffic is craptastic (always top 10 worst in US), but the DC-Baltimore piece is hardly the bad section.  Scary, but true.

Tom

The DC to Baltimore was not a joy.  I honestly cannot remember the actual path we took into the capitol but it was fucked up too.

That's all I've got.

On 4/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, dotman17 said:

The DC to Baltimore was not a joy.  I honestly cannot remember the actual path we took into the capitol but it was fucked up too.

That's all I've got.

I-95 fits the description as the only logical connector from Baltimore to DC and it is not a joy to drive. 

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I-95 fits the description as the only logical connector from Baltimore to DC and it is not a joy to drive. 

B-W Parkway, BABY!!!  Part of the Star-Spangled Banner Scenic Byway!

Tom

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Ok? That’s 29? I actually favored 95, IIRC, even when my sister was in Columbia. 

29 is West of 95. B-W Parkway is to the East.  It is a National Park System road, but it works well until it DOESN'T work well. 29 doesn't quite make it to Baltimore.

29-95-bwp.thumb.JPG.057011b19e6a912918d94a99b92ccb99.JPG

Tom

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

29 is West of 95. B-W Parkway is to the East.  It is a National Park System road, but it works well until it DOESN'T work well. 29 doesn't quite make it to Baltimore.

29-95-bwp.thumb.JPG.057011b19e6a912918d94a99b92ccb99.JPG

Tom

I see. My sister always was on the West Side of the DC Suburbs, I guess that’s why I never used BWP, as I see it comes off 695 at about the same place I’d have accessed 95 from downtown Baltimore.