Jogging-hard to convince self: last 25 yrs.

shootingstar

I've lived in 3 Canadian big cities - each at least over 1 million.  Each city, the bike-ped path was half block to 3 blocks away which goes on for enough kms. in either direction to make at least 50 km. trip or more with turnoffs to more kms of other paths.  It's been great from a cycling perspective: I have had no excuse, not to get moving, over the past quarter century. :)

And every few years I ask myself with some guilt:  why don't I just jog abit?  Just try it.  I walk the path in lousy weather at times in rain but mostly in winter. But jogging has just turned me off.  

I supplement my cycling, with walking/hiking since we don't have a car.  In a half-lazy way, I also do some simple stretching exercises at home-- bits of yoga, tai chi warm-ups, etc.  (Some tai chi warm-ups are kinda similar to yoga in body stance, balance... There are  some positional similarities in the Eastern-based exercises to prevent hurting yourself.)

Did you get into jogging long term in addition to cycling? 

• Heart 1

...running is hard on a lot of larger people, and as you age (I've found), you need to go with stuff that is lower impact.

I used to do road work with a jump rope when I was a fireman, and at one point in training, I was even skipping rope wearing an SCBA.

I couldn't do it now. The first thing that usually goes is you knees.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...running is hard on a lot of larger people, and as you age (I've found), you need to go with stuff that is lower impact.

I used to do road work with a jump rope when I was a fireman, and at one point in training, I was even skipping rope wearing an SCBA.

I couldn't do it now. The first thing that usually goes is you knees.

OMIGOD, skipping rope with SCBA?! (self contained breathing apparatus)  That's serious heaviness on knees, whatever.  About a yr. ago, I tried jumping rope and just found it too hard.  I marvel over my teens when I did jump rope with my younger sisters.....  double dutch skipping 1,500 revolutions and all those innocent aerobic skipping games girls did. :)

In my family, a sis and her hubby were regular joggers. they have each done a full marathon. Now his knee is abit screwed up. So he doesn't jog anymore. He's my age (59).  She (54), had a back injury from pulling at a sack of rice.  It took her over 2 yrs. to recover...I don't think she's fully back to normal yet. I also have to give her credit for dedication to fitness 'cause she also has had 3 children.  In my opinion, for many women, pregnancy can pose a challenge after birth to deal with weight and fitness.  It's just an observation of other women over the years both in my extended family, etc.

A good friend who is 61 yrs., is a real tennis enthusiast, cyclist (recreational and long distance bike touring), does weights at gymn and does jog on eillipitical for about 5 km. ...I admire her.  She is smaller than me, she finds cycling not aerobic enough.  Same comment as my jogger-sister though I encourage her to reconsider because of her back.

• Heart 1

Years ago I gave up cycling for running. That lead directly to knee surgery. I found that I could ride without pain but not walk without discomfort before the surgery so I wisely got back into cycling.

About 10 years ago I started walking half marathons with my wife in addition to cycling. I sometimes jog also but not all that much. Walking seems to be a nice cross training for cycling especially in colder weather. 

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

I have never really ran and cycled but was a serious runner through most of my 20's and 30's.  I ran a lot in the Army and carried that into civilian life where I ran 3 marathons. 

But before the Army i was an amateur cyclist and then in my 40s got back to cycling.

My bone spurs and arthritis limit my running on the road/trail now but I regularly do 30 minutes on the treadmill with a -.5 Decline which allows me to run pain free.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I got into running because it was the only way to take the starch out of the damned dog. Ten years later, he’s too old to run anymore, and I’m still going.

I’ve never developed a love for it, like I have cycling, it’s more of a grudging respect. I can’t deny it’s positive impact on my cycling and it’s a lot easier to pack a good workout into a half hour/hour by running, rather than riding. 

I guess I’ve never found that “zen” state that so many claim to find when running -even though I’ve run as far as 15 miles. It’s boring, it takes forever to actually get anywhere and there is no “fun” factor - where’s the running equivalent of riding wheelies, just for shit & giggles?

If you’re thinking of trying it, I’d suggest a Couch-to-5k type thing. It’s supposed to take you from being a non runner to running a 5k in 9 weeks. While you have a good base of fitness from cycling and some of it crosses over, some doesn’t, so it’s best to ramp up slowly.

If time is crunched, I run. If I have more time, screw that running shit.

I started with a Couch to 5k a few years ago.  I thought I was going to die the first few weeks, then it got easier.  I didn't make it to the end, I just started running.

I'm not crazy about running either, but I agree, it's a much bigger impact in a shorter time.  There is no rolling down a hill.  You are always putting in an effort.

My longest run has only been 9 or 10 miles, so the endorphin thing has never happened to me either.  

When I hit 4 or 5 miles, I actually start to feel better.  My high heart rate has been sustained for a long time at that point and I feel like I could just keep going.  Not in a euphoric way, but in a I feel strong kind of way.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have another sister and her hubby, they each go jogging too for past few years. That's how they lst met. Now 1 has to look after children while other goes jogging, unless child wants to ride on tandem bike with their father.

Her hubby has run several marathons. (he's 51) My sister (49) lost 50 lbs...and regained probably 10 lbs. because of her pregnancies.  

So there's family running experience I can draw upon....if I want to get into it. I live near a store that offers running clubs from couch to xxx kms. There are runs nearly every weekend during non-winter months on the path near home (and same for previous cities where I've lived). But still not yet drawn to jogging...  My partner has never had interest in jogging. *****It is actually through him, I returned to cycling and with him showing me all sorts of routes, going on touring rides when we travel in Canada and overseas...I have come to love cycling.  It is like breathing to me and I love seeing so much with a lot less/no pain ..compared to looking at joggers slogging along.

My partner will never be able to jog because now his knee is problematic.  Cycling 50-70+ km in 1 day, actually is therapeutic now for his spirit and fitness, compared to walking where he has to watch his step re knee alignment.  He now wears a knee brace. It wasn't like this 3 years ago.  

• Sad 1

My son has run at a high level. Cycling was always my first love. When my son started doing duathlons, he asked me to team with his roommate for one. I saw that I wanted to do a duathlon on my own so I had to learn to run 2 miles at a time. I have since done 16 duathlons, 1 full marathon, 15 half marathons and God only knows how many 5k and 10ks!

i do not love running, but I love the running community! There is something special about the people and the shared experience. I have experienced the runners “high” on a few occasions. 

Running helps my stability, my core and it makes me a better cyclist. I do recommend the Couch to 5k programs, but also look into the book Chi Running. I takes the principles of Tai Chi and applies them to running. Without it, I would have quit running within a year. 

• Heart 1