How do we feel about this color scheme?

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Ray, doesn't one of your other bikes have a colorxxx similar to the second one here? The Mariachi or whatever it's called?? 

Neither one really does it for me; but I've decided if the bike is great, color doesn't matter. I didn't like the white/black/red of my Roubaix at first, but now I like it because I love the bike. 

Either way, you'll need new pedals. Don't need no stinkin' pedals with loose balls!!!

22 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I'm surprised, as neither has streamers.  Or were you planning on adding them later ?

Of course.  You add the streamers right before the basket, but after the bell. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

any color you want as long as it is black. 

They’re slowly moving away from the “I-painted-my-bike-with-spray-in-bedliner” look, but they seem to be replacing it with colors straight out of Better Homes and Institutions.

Not a good way to sell me a bike.

(Oh, and whoever decided to resurrect gumwalls should be shot and pissed on).

• Heart 1

On 4/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, Page Turner said:

...I'm surprised, as neither has streamers.  Or were you planning on adding them later ?

And a bike bell. There's a young woman who often rides the BWI Bike Trail on a bike with long red-white-blue streamers who is apparently too timid to call out "passing on your left" so she rings a bell something like this as she approaches slower cyclists like me:

5ad487d5e02cc_bikebell.jpg.22af8fdec9dc2b64fb6b35724c9d0b36.jpg

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

she rings a bell something like this as she approaches slower cyclists like me:

Might work better than “on your left” - that sometimes confuses the hell out of people and they move left.

Never tried a bell when I used to commute and scare the shit out of the same lady every morning, no matter what I did. She was so jumpy, I don’t think a bell would have helped. (It got to the point that even the woman walking with her was like, “what the hell is wrong with you?”)

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Gold is iffy--- either really fabulou

Yeah, the metal flake is a little too “fabulous”. Plus as Zack pointed out, it’s the Saints colors and rightor wrong they will forever be associated with Michael Vick, so that color scheme is a total nonstarter.

Not really feeling the “graple” either. Why couldn’t they have just made it burgundy like my first GoldWing? (“Wineberry”)

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The $-Works logo is the deal killer. I have to pay retail now.

??? 

Sometimes you just have to suck it up!

After Paris-Roubaix, though, seeing Sagan mess with his stem has me moving away from recommending the Roubaix to folks. I felt before the race that the new stem system was not for me, and after that video - assuming he has a sensational mechanic looking over his bike pre-race - I felt like that is not a headache I want to ever deal with. Add in that the part where the stem meets the top tube/head tube juncture moves when the handlebars turn and I thing the Trek IsoSpeed system is now the better "plush" type of bike (although a mechanic I was chatting up said that system is affected by sweat and grime and needs maintenance too).

Tom

8 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Freakin Luddite 

:D

I honestly wonder how they got that all the way from the drawing board through to final sale.  I would say my wrists and arms are not the first place where I feel rough riding conditions, and their traditional flexy Roubaix design, plus the cobble gobbler (ugly as sin), would be the more optimal set-up for me plus some thick bar wrap.  I got rid of the padding under the wrap on my Roubaix, so I'm not too sure what the fancy stem does for me other than complicate the design. For Paris-Roubaix or any ride over cobbles, sure I can see going with additional shock mitigation, but for folks like me, that is now turning to just going with fatter road tires at lower PSI. Very low tech vs that stem system (which is also on the Diverge).

Tom

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I honestly wonder how they got that all the way from the drawing board through to final sale.

You’ve got the path wrong. It went from Marketing to the drawing board, therefore “final sale” was a given. I would love to hear the snarky engineering comments about Zerts inserts, back when that was a thing.

The stem and seatpost aren’t a real drawback for me, but they’re not really a detriment, either. If it fits as well as the Roubaix I have now, I’m good with it. I really like the way mine fits, rides and handles. Were it not for the disk brakes, I wouldn’t even be considering a new bike - but I got spoiled with the Ultegras on my Slate.

There are a few instances where I’ve gotten beaten up on the Roubaix - the road around the lake gets worse every year - but if I’m doing anything at all rugged, I’ll take the Slate with 650B tires and the Lefty. What I’d really like is a race bike without the folded-up-like-origami riding position, but everyone seems to be focusing on making an SUV road bike that can do light off-road as well.

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

the gold is a Sagan color.  

Who cares? I either like it or don’t, based on its subjective merits, not whether or not it would be “proper” to ride because some pro I’ve barely heard of does. That’s just plain dumb.

I think maybe I will get it, just to offend people who worry about such things.

15 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Who cares? I either like it or don’t, based on its subjective merits, not whether or not it would be “proper” to ride because some pro I’ve barely heard of does. That’s just plain dumb.

I think maybe I will get it, just to offend people who worry about such things.

Which, I think, was his point.

But you go ahead and get that damned bike in that damned color and offend the hell out of us!!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

But you're the one who asked the initial color question, and the gold is a Sagan color.  

Which is sort of total BS! GVA won gold in Rio. Sagan gets full "rights" t rocking rainbow colors, but gold isn't in his medal box (yet).

Tom

2 hours ago, smudge said:

Which, I think, was his point.

But you go ahead and get that damned bike in that damned color and offend the hell out of us!!

If you’re rocking the whole kit and shit, then yeah, you’re a wannabe. But I barely even know who the dude is 

Hell, back in the day, I rode one of these:

file.php?id=153731

No one ever mistook me for Cipo.

48 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

If you’re rocking the whole kit and shit, then yeah, you’re a wannabe. But I barely even know who the dude is 

Hell, back in the day, I rode one of these:

No one ever mistook me for Cipo.

You didn't have the same TT skinsuits, I bet.  Get a few of those, and I bet the similarities would be striking!

Tom

• Haha 1

My first "speedbike" as a kid was gold.  The classic CCM "Pursuit 5", so I like the gold one.  My wife's Specialized Ruby is that burgundy colour, it is kind of cool, sorta coffee coloured in some light, burgundy-ish in others.  She likes it.

I wish super short shorts would come back in fashion for men.  I have great legs and I am sure most women would enjoy me showing them off.  :rolleyes:  If the Crocodile Hunter hadn't of gone and died, he'd have made them mainstream again.

VA881_Pursuit5.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1