Best chocolate of my life

Dirtyhip

The holy grail in chocolate is the wild stuff.

The original genetics are only found in the Amazon, although I am hoping someone will cultivate it. It's basically impossible to find, and I suspect the supply is all bought ahead of time.

But if you want the best, that's it. I have been trying to get my hands on some for years.

Second best is prob fresh chocolates from Europe, but I'd love to try that bar from the DR.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I wish we knew someone who was there now and could send us all one.

The good stuff from Europe isn't here due to shipping "compromising" the product. Lindt  is made in the US under license and is not the same as the European version, plus Lindy ranks about #4 in Switzerland. Cailler is considered #1. My favorite, Valor, is imported but requires special handling, shipped in dry ice. They also don't carry the specific variety I like - dark chocolate infused with coffee chips.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, late said:

Second best is prob fresh chocolates from Europe, but I'd love to try that bar from the DR.

And the good news is...I just booked my 3 week Switzerland trip. In addition to spoiling my grandson, will be feasting on chocolate. Also will arrive in time to attend the last day of the Montrose Jazz Festival!

• Heart 1

Making chocolate even better...

Yesterday, one of those 'click bait' articles on losing belly fat, chocolate was one of the noted foods supporting loss of fat. It did have to be dark chocolate, 70% or higher.  That is consistent with what I have noticed over the years and jokingly referred to as my "Swiss Chocolate Diet". I would consistently lose 10 lbs (regained later in the US) every time during my 2 week visits. Granted, I did walk everywhere due to not having a car, but still. I have tried to replicate it here in the States, periodically getting the dark German chocolate (Mosher) from Aldi.

• Heart 2

Salted caramel swirls in chocolate ice cream seems to be exploding in popularity. I guess salted chocolate bars should do well, too.

I finally tried Ben & Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream and it is fabulous: chocolate ice cream with about 5/8" long fudge fish, gooey marshmallow and caramel.

It was about $3 for one bar.

I am going out shopping today to buy ten more of them.  ;)

I agree that fresh chocolate is an experience. The tour guide at Belmont Estate took a ripe chocolate pod and cracked it against the tree. We took the beans and sucked off the milky outer part. You spit the cocoa bean out. The bean gets fermented with banana leaves and burlap in layers. Then it is dried in the sun before making the chocolate. Amazing process. The fermentation room smells like ammonia.  

Hershey chocolate is trash chocolate.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hershey chocolate is trash chocolate.

It's one of those things where if you don't know any better you think Hershey is good.  I mean, were talking about chocolate here, a Hershey bar is not a terrible tasting thing.  But unless you have eaten the good stuff and have something to compare it too you just dont know.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It's one of those things where if you don't know any better you think Hershey is good.  I mean, were talking about chocolate here, a Hershey bar is not a terrible tasting thing.  But unless you have eaten the good stuff and have something to compare it too you just dont know.

Just don't cite See's as "good chocolate". :) 

16 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:
On 4/15/2018 at 11:01 AM, Dirtyhip said:

The salt and sugar one is curl your toes good.

I'll have what she's  having :whistle:

The only question for DH would be "was it better than sex"?  That would be good chocolate! And I can't see my toes curling for less than that.

Tom

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just don't cite See's as "good chocolate". :) 

See's is a CA company and I grew up on the stuff.  Again not a terribly tasting thing but no it's not a quality chocolate.  (I was at the local mall yesterday getting some shoes for my son and my wife poked into the See's store for a sample.  The place was packed with middle aged overweight women....)

My frame of reference is the Dutch chocolate my family would bring us.  OMG the stuff is out of this world.  Even the months old bars in the import store is better than Hershey or See's but the fresh stuff you can get there is amazing.

• Heart 1

forget trying to figure out which bar imports best.  Boutique Chocolate shops are popping up all over.  They bring in the beans and do their own roasting, you get actual freshly made chocolate from beans around the world.  It's pretty amazing how different each one is when you do a real chocolate tasting.  Right now I've got some from Dandelion in San Fran and Mustang in Cincinatti.  I forget the bean origins, but they are completely different.

59 minutes ago, 12string said:

They bring in the beans and do their own roasting, you get actual freshly made chocolate from beans around the world.  

Beans are only half the ingredients. It is really about the milk. Why does Kerrygold butter stand out when all butter uses milk. Same could be said for chocolate.