Eating better and saving money

jsharr

Decided to put some effort into eating better by bringing healthy food to the office. 

Been eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast most mornings instead of hitting the deli for breakfast burritos.

Last night I cooked 4 chicken breasts in teriyaki marinade.  Brought them and some steam in the bag broccoli to the office.  Lunch this week will be simple, cleaner, tasty and less expensive.   Should save $25 to $30 per week doing this and get better quality food.

On a side not, what do you call the hard stalky bit of broccoli that is left over after you bite the tasty broccoli heads off?  I am going with broccolegs, but am open to better suggestions.

Wish me luck.

• Heart 3

I stopped grabbing lunch out and it has helped me lose weight and save money.  

When I make stir fry or soups with veggies I peel the broccoli stalks and slice them up.  My wife was confused the first time I did that, huh what veggie is this, it tastes like broccoli!?!?!?  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

If you put the broccoli stalks back in the bag and steam them until tender they are not bad.

59 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Eat your broccoli stump and like it.

Actually, it isn't bad if you cut off the outer tough part.  The heart of the stump is quite delicious. 

55 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I actually prefer the stalks to the heads. :D

The Mrs. always tries to throw them away.

Weird, weirder, weirdest.    ;)

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If you put the broccoli stalks back in the bag and steam them until tender they are not bad.

Broccoli is better and digests better for most people if steamed.  Eat the stalks, they are good for you.  The more fiber in your diet, the better.

• Awesome 1

Fresh roasted broccoli is the best. Cut/break the tops into florets, slice the stalks into discs, 1/4" to 1/3". Toss with avocado or olive oil, add some cloves of peeled garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 375 for 20 minutes. Add fresh grated parmesan while hot and serve. Mangia!