Southwest goes south

maddmaxx

A Southwest flight made an emergency landing in Philadelphia this morning on a flight from New York to Texas after an engine exploded and parts of it hit the fuselage seemingly penetrating a window.  One passenger was injured.

Lost in the complaints about what went wrong will be the professional handling of the emergency by the flight crew who had to handle an explosive decompression at altitude and a one engine approach and landing.  At least one passenger said that the landing seemed routine.

So a person flying to Dallas that is supposed to be in our offices tomorrow was on the flight.  He has been sending our Dir. of Marketing pictures and has been interviewed.  Some of his pictures are already out on the internet in news stories, etc.

• Awesome 1

That was right on the heels of this Southwest incident:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/04/16/southwest-passengers-crying-screaming-preparing-to-die-in-attempted-landing-during-storm.html

Passengers on a Southwest Airlines flight from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. to New Orleans Saturday prepared for the worst as the plane attempted to land in a storm.

The experience was so scary, people were screaming, crying and preparing to die as the pilot flew the plane through severe thunder and lightning, WWL-TV reports.

“We came through the clouds and the plane was just tilting back and forth. It was going all over the place,” passenger Lauren Bale, who works for WWL-TV, said of the harrowing experience.

“It felt like I was about to lift off. I felt like I was done. I felt like I was about to see baby Jesus and Papa God,” another passenger, Marie Wary, told the station.

After a failed attempt to land at its destination, the plane rerouted to Panama City, Fla. to wait out the storm. “You couldn’t see anything. No visibility,” passenger Sharon Bikoundou told WWL-TV of one attempted landing. “Right as he was about to land he pulled back up.”

The plane eventually arrived safely in New Orleans about four hours behind schedule, but some passengers questioned why the plane ever attempted the scary landing in the first place.

Bale posted several updates on Twitter, saying it was the “most terrifying experience” of her life. “The flight attendants were yelling over the speakers to fasten seat belts as tightly as possible and I was texting my family goodbye. I just don't understand why @SouthwestAir put everyone in that situation,” Bale tweeted.

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So a person flying to Dallas that is supposed to be in our offices tomorrow was on the flight.  He has been sending our Dir. of Marketing pictures and has been interviewed.  Some of his pictures are already out on the internet in news stories, etc.

This is from Marty's FB page.  He says a passenger was paritally sucked out of the plane and other passengers pulled her back in

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

He even posted video, we was sitting right behind the wing on the opposite side of the plane.

Interesting timing...yesterday my daughter texted me an article about the high number of in-flight mechanical incidents that Allegiant Air has...12.2 per 10,000 flights.   Of all the major domestic carriers, Southwest was the best with just 1 per 10,000.  American was 5 per and Delta 3.5 per....as a point of comparison.