The judge was an old buddy: when you're hot you're hot!

MickinMD

Hope I never get picked for jury duty. 

I worked for the courts...more specifically serving the judges in a province (not my present one) in the area of research for several years. 

The Chief judge/head honcho was an oil and acrylic painter to de-stress. Several paintings were hung in his office.  Real paintings (not prints) glow in their colours.. He was known in the legal world, to occasionally donate a painting as a fundraiser.  

Across the hall from our dept., another judge outfitted her office with all sorts of artwork she purchased.  She is now at the Supreme Court of Canada.  (Well, several judges from our province at the time I worked there, ended up at the Supreme Court of Canada.)

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Do they serve donuts and coffee to prospective juries where you live?

No. And you're not allowed to bring any liquids into the courthouse. They've become extremely cheap. In 1998 they did serve coffee when I served on a criminal trial jury in the same court.  In 2008 I don't think they did - but I only had to go in one day and didn't have a trial.  This time they added insult to injury: they still only pay $15, but they offer nothing, the cafeteria in the basement of the court building is now overpriced, and they give you a voucher for one parking lot 1/2 mile from the courthouse but you still have to pay $2 of the parking.

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

No. And you're not allowed to bring any liquids into the courthouse. They've become extremely cheap. In 1998 they did serve coffee when I served on a criminal trial jury in the same court.  In 2008 I don't think they did - but I only had to go in one day and didn't have a trial.  This time they added insult to injury: they still only pay $15, but they offer nothing, the cafeteria in the basement of the court building is now overpriced, and they give you a voucher for one parking lot 1/2 mile from the courthouse but you still have to pay $2 of the parking.

Tsk. Disappointing.