So did Wisonsin, Fed. know water suck-up

shootingstar

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-april-17-2018-1.4622103/why-a-water-gulping-wisconsin-plant-is-a-wake-up-call-for-canada-1.4622105

Meanwhile am aware that Nestle has been sucking up water for bottled water sales from a lovely town area in southern Ontario..http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/nestlé-waters-canada-plan-to-tap-aquifer-worries-elora-ont-residents-1.3295331

Water loss is becoming serious.  Where we are in prairies is a big deal with simply less rain, less soil permeation, less water bodies. 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-april-17-2018-1.4622103/why-a-water-gulping-wisconsin-plant-is-a-wake-up-call-for-canada-1.4622105

Meanwhile am aware that Nestle has been sucking up water for bottled water sales from a lovely town area in southern Ontario..http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/nestlé-waters-canada-plan-to-tap-aquifer-worries-elora-ont-residents-1.3295331

Water loss is becoming serious.  Where we are in prairies is a big deal with simply less rain, less soil permeation, less water bodies. 

Water is a good racket if you can get into it.  It's a complementary business to polluting, so you can make a profit in both directions!

Tom

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is he rich?

Tom

Filthy Rich

Minderbinder's enterprise becomes known as "M&M Enterprises", with the two M's standing for his initials and the "&" added to dispel any idea that the enterprise is a one-man operation. Minderbinder travels across the world, especially around the Mediterranean Sea, trying to buy and sell goods at a profit, primarily through black market channels. Everyone has a "share", a fact which Minderbinder uses to defend his actions, stating that what is good for the company is good for all. For example, he secretly replaces the CO2 cartridges in the emergency life vests with printed notes to the effect that what is good for M&M is good for the country.

Eventually, Minderbinder begins contracting missions for the Germans, fighting on both sides in the battle at Orvieto, and bombing his own squadron at Pianosa. At one point Minderbinder orders his fleet of aircraft to attack the American base where he lives, killing many American officers and enlisted men. He finally gets court-martialed for treason. However, as M&M Enterprises proves to be incredibly profitable, he hires an expensive lawyer who is able to convince the court that it was capitalism which made America great, and is absolved only by disclosing his enormous profit to the investigating congressional committee.

In typical Catch-22 satirical fashion, Minderbinder's business is incredibly profitable, with the single exception of his decision to buy all Egyptian cotton in existence, which he cannot unload afterwards (except to other entrepreneurs, who sell the cotton back to him, because he simply ordered all Egyptian cotton) and tries to dispose of by coating it with chocolate and serving it in the mess hall. Later, Yossarian gives Minderbinder the idea of selling the cotton to the government, quoting Calvin Coolidge's assertion that "the business of government is 'business'."

The exact size of Minderbinder's syndicate is never specified. At the beginning of the novel, it is merely a system that gets fresh eggs to his mess hall by buying them in Sicily for one cent, selling them to Malta for four and a half cents, buying them back for seven cents, and finally selling them to the mess halls for five cents. However, the syndicate is soon revealed to have become a large company, and then an international syndicate, making Minderbinder the Mayor of Palermo, Assistant Governor-General of Malta, Shah of Oran, Caliph of Baghdad, mayor of Cairo, and the god of corn, rain, and rice in various pagan African countries. Whenever Minderbinder appears in one of his cities, an impromptu holiday with parades forming around him is declared.

Relationship to Yossarian[edit]

Ironically, Minderbinder tends to trust the novel's protagonist Yossarian more than he trusts anyone else because Yossarian — an unselfish man of principle — is so unlike himself.[2] After learning that Yossarian can have all the dried fruit he wants, which he then gives to friends in the squadron, Minderbinder decides that he can be trusted because "anyone who would not steal from the country he loved would not steal from anyone." However, he continually ignores Yossarian's pleas for help because of his preoccupation with running M&M Enterprises. He ultimately betrays Yossarian by striking a deal with Colonel Cathcart: Yossarian's squadron must fly additional missions, and Minderbinder gets the credit. When Nately's Whore's Kid Sister, a young girl for whom Yossarian comes to care deeply, goes missing, Minderbinder agrees to help him find her, but abandons the attempt in order to smuggle illegal tobacco.

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

A literary name, duh.

I know duh, I quoted the book, Colonel Cathcart says it. The correct reply is "It's Yossarian's name." I know you're not meant to know novels by heart like you do poetry, it's one of the many odd things about me is all.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I know duh, I quoted the book, Colonel Cathcart says it. The correct reply is "It's Yossarian's name." I know you're not meant to know novels by heart like you do poetry, it's one of the many odd things about me is all.

I think I last read the book 30 years ago. Now I mostly read inane internet forum drivel. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I did have a friend who knew every line in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  You could read a line of dialogue from anywhere in the series, and he knew the response.  Incredible skill.  Unfortunately he didn't have the skill of showing up to class or work on time, so he never made much of a living.

Have we succeeded in thouroughly hijacking @shootingstar's thread about water?

50 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I did have a friend who knew every line in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  You could read a line of dialogue from anywhere in the series, and he knew the response.  Incredible skill.  Unfortunately he didn't have the skill of showing up to class or work on time, so he never made much of a living.

Have we succeeded in thouroughly hijacking @shootingstar's thread about water?

Yes.  Capital job my friend! 

Couch 

• Heart 1